• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Company Car- left employment now being chased for upgrade costs...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You may or may not have signed the agreement, but by accepting the car, you must have accepted at least an implied term. The clawback you describe is pretty standard clause and this, along with what appears to be your signature would probably be enough to convince any court that the terms stand and you will have to pay the amount of clawback demanded.

It is not relevant that the two colleagues were excused the payment, because companies can make ex-gratia payments or waive any monies due. Unless you can establish that this is normal procedure and you are being discriminated against by being asked to pay. And then, it will only be actionable in a court if that discrimination is unlawful (i.e. contrary to race relations act, sex discrimination act, disability discrimination act).

However, my advice to you is to simply say that you do not have adequate means to pay at the rate of £300 pm. Stick to the offer to pay at £50pm and let them take you to court. In a court, if you have already made a 'reasonable' offer to pay, most judges would view the bringing of such cases very dimly and you will find that the court will simply accept your offer to pay at a rate of £50 pm, and even possibly award costs against your ex-employer for abusing the court process or something like that.

So the chances are they wont take it to court, and merely accept your offer of £50 pm.

I am not a lawyer, so all my advice is provided on the basis that you will check them with a trained legal professional with legal insurance.:(

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Yes, but do not admit the debt (even though on the evidence I think you will probably have liability). Just say you don't need the hassle and just to get them off your back, you will make the payment.

2. Yes definitely and keep a copy!

3. Yes. I think its their only realistic option.

4. Yes - wait and see what they say in the court and what evidence they provide, and then decide if you admit the liability. You dont need to decide now.

5. It not a defence, but an offer to repay the debt. Probably would bring up the issue of the colleagues as a matter to be taken into consideration.

I cant really advise you on CCJ - dont know enough. Maybe someone here can, or google it. My instinct is that CCJ is only made against you where there is no agreement, but I could be wrong. And that is why at this time its best not to admit the debt and find out a bit about how CCJ works.

Write the above letter to the solicitor and also tell them that you do not wish to be harassed, spelling out the number of emails and letters you have received. Ask them to cease this harassment. Also explain that your offer is final and you cannot simply negotiate on the amout (as you cant afford it).

Also say the if they persist in such 'bully boy' tactics, you will seek legal advise with respect to taking out an injunction against them, and complaining to their professional body.

I would also go to CAB asap and ask advise.

• Haha 1

I am not a lawyer, so all my advice is provided on the basis that you will check them with a trained legal professional with legal insurance.:(

Hi Postggj - hope you are well!

The text relating to the trade-up contributions is:

" Please note XXXXXX will reclaim any outstanding trade up amount from any driver trading up should they leave

the Society prior to the end of the contract date. For example; if you have a vehicle on a 36-month contract at £100

per month, if you leave after 18 months, you will owe £1800. This money will be required to be repaid on leaving"

This is copied from the car policy which apparantly has my signature ont he back page.

It does seem to be a bit on the high side, but look at it this way, the company has to pay upfront for the car and unless they can find someone to take on the car, they would have lost the amount.

Exactly my thoughts!!

m2000 i'd hold that letter - I'm a little tired, its late. I'll get back to you tomorrow, or perhaps postggj can advise on the letter you need to write to the solicitor.

I think the letter by Post if excellent. However, I would also add the following:

"I note that within the period *** to ***, you have written to me twice and telephoned me XXX times to ask for the full amount of the upgrade. I consider this to be excessive and tantamount to harassment. I would be grateful if you could respect my family life and cease to telephone me on this matter. Please ensure all future correspondence is in writing as I do not want you to intimidate or pressurise me. If I continue to feel intimidated by your actions, I will have to seek legal advice or complain to your regulator."

• 1 month later...

Sorry i've not been on the site for some time -been away and also found out that i've got diabetes, brought on by stress.

Anyway to try and help - firstly i'd try to get legal help from Union, CAB, house insurance or any other sources.

Next I'd try and focus on each item to see if evry aspect of the statements the other side has made is correct and dispute the incorrect ones.

I'd let it go to court and argue that you are being charged for someone elses liability (the person taking over the lease should have incurred the upgrade costs).

Then if that is not upheld, agree to pay, but ahow that you have very little means and can only pay at the rate of £10 per week or something.

Let the court decide on the matter.

But please check it out with a lawyer, even if it is taking advantage of the usual free hour consultation that most lawyers have.

I'll try and think about the problem a bit more later.

good luck

Forgot to add - I also have heard it on the grapevine that the employee who is now driving my old vehicle did indeed want the same vehicle as myself and had ordered it, it just so happened that I left and that giving him mine was a lot quicker than the lead time of 3 months.

It is a case of proving it tho :-(

Hi you need evidence of this by way of a statement from the person who told you. Perhaps by telling them that you are being asked to pay for the new guys upgrade - try to get the stateemnt signed.

Wait till it comes to court, then deny every aspect of their claim and ask for disclosure of the order form of the new starter (even if you have the statement mentioned in my last post).

Now the thing is I know Employment Tribunal procedures, but not county court. So you need to get some avice or get hold of books etc on county court procedures (Google would be a good start) and see how you can get disclosure. That should blow their case out of the water- especially as they have lied about what vehicle the new starter wanted.

hopethis helps

• 2 weeks later...
"you need evidence of this by way of a statement from the person who told you. Perhaps by telling them that you are being asked to pay for the new guys upgrade - try to get the stateemnt signed"

I think the above will be impossible... the person who told me this still works there and has already told me it is strictly off the record :-(

Hi OP

you seem to be getting some good advise- way better than anything I could suggest. However, just two points - firstly, you could simply state in your evidence that and existing employee has told you that the new employee actually wanted the upgrade and this is simply a case of the company trying to force you to pay the upgrade costs of the new employee. Also state that the person advising you of this information did so anonymously as they were fearful of their position.

Than state that the original signed vehicle request form of the new employee would clear up the issue.

This may force them to disclose the form and also call the new employee as a witness.

This part of your statement, because its hearsay, will carry less weight, however together with the other points, may strengthen your case.

Secod point in the next post.

The second point is about your legal insurance - have a careful read through of the documentation to see if youre covered. Their first attempt is always to deny liability, so its worth wrting to the insurance company pointing out the specific clause that shows you to be covered under the policy - worth a try anyway