direct debit forces overdraft- new case?

Conan-the-librarian
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am considering a small claim for charges based on exceeding standing orders and direct debits. The argument centres on the word "instruction" which RBS defines and which I would say is only issued once - when I took out the s/o of DD. The bank can only charge if I make an instruction when there are no funds. I say I made the instruction only once - when I took out the DD. Contra proferentem and all that. Suspect may be difficult but wondered what views might be. Have draft pleading.

When you give instructions for a Direct Debit to be set up it will be continually paid each month until you cancel it. Did you cancel it after the first payment? If not then you will be charged for insufficient funds

I appreciate that - my point is that the word "instruction" is defined within the terms and conditions and it is only when you give an "instruction" to withdraw funds that are not there that the charges bite. My submission is that debiting every time is not dependent on an instruction being given each time - the instructionj was given just once - when the DD was signed.