• Tweets

• Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
    • So should I send them a new SAR and put my date of birth on it? Or do I need to send them some proof? Driving license? 
    • Thanks so much for your help!! I've emailed them, and when they reply saying they can't do it I'll reply and state my rights. I'm so glad I found this forum, and will read all of the posts I can find and help guides available for the future. Really can't thank you enough.
    • utter BS, doesn't matter you signed it. pers i'd be writing as per the other threads here rejecting the car as not as described under CRA etc and be done with it. as its a debit card you could also do a full chargeback within 120 days to your bank and simply dump the car back to BMW. 100's of like threads to read here. get your ducks inline. make sure you know what you are doing and off you go. dont take any BS from BMW, no matter what you sign it does NOT remove your consumer rights. p'haps it might be on the off chance you are a good manager , a quick phonecall tomorrow saying you dont want it because (no bla bla fitted) it might be resolved in 5 mins..i will guess to date you not tried
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lindsay V Barclays

Lindsay Gedling
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6410 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone now I am just starting off the proceedure of trying to reclaim excessive bank fees. I have done nothing other than post this thread & print off the letter 'Data Protection Act 1998' Subject Access request. Can anyone advise me what I need to do next? I presume that I send this off to my local branch and await the standard letter that others mention on this forum???

Cheers Lindz

Go to the library and read the FAQs and the Step by Step guide. Your answers are in there. Read some of the threads in this Forum. You will have lots of time to become familiar with the procedures as Barclays have 40 days in which to reply to your SAR and seem to using that time to deliberately delay things.

I would advise you to send all correspondence by Recorded Delivery.

If you have a question which is not covered then post it here and people will try and help you.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

It is quite scary taking on such a big institution isn't it? but with forums like this at least you don't feel alone I will have a good read through it all and start the process with that initial request for a list of charges made to my account over the years.

Thanks for your help so far

Lindz

OMG!!!!!! Well I hand delivered my letter asking for a full comprehensive list of bank charges that have been made on my account. I will have to sit tight and wait for 40 days now then!!!!! Give me time to read through how all the rest of you folks are doing and how your doing it!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hi, I have received a reply from Barclays (yeh quite fast acknowledgement) the letter is from Peter Townsend and I quote.......

We refer to your letter of 18/08/06 which was passed to this department for comment due to your request for certain information relating to bank charges, under the terms of the data protection act (DPA)

Please be aware that the bank is not under an obligation to present information according to any particular format. Therefore youre request to assemble a schedule of charges is turned aside. You may of course obtain this data from copy statments and these will be supplied to you within the next few weeks without charge on this occasion. We would advise however, that some statement information arising from the period prior to and possibly during 1999 to 2000 is manually stored in the form of microfiche and does not fall within the dat subject access provisions of the DPA.

As regards to your mention of 'manual intervention' the DPA does not oblige the Bank to comment about internal policies and procedures. Furthermore, in the context of managing day to day transactions arising from out of order accounts, the bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute 'personal data' under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request. For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that we do not generally record information in a way that is caught by the provisions of the DPA, is in no way an admission that there was no such manual intervention.

Yours............

So can this be translated in to good old plain English?????? I presume I sit tight until my statements roll in then I tot up a nice little figure of charges, is that right???

Cheers friends, mucho appreciate the advise and support from you all.

Lindz

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I have received copies of my bank statements last week which were just on the 40 day deadline. Over the next couple of nights I will be totting up the amount that Barlcays have taken from me (ha). Once I have a figure, is that when I send the next letter to ask for a full refund of charges? My stomach is doing flips at the moment, silly question but is there a deadline when I send the next letter?

Cheers friends,

Lindsay

edit: please be careful of using potentially libleous terminology on the site, thanks :)

No, it's your timetable.

The only thing to be aware of is if you have any reclaimable charges from exactlyish (I know it's not a word, but it should be!) six years ago. If you delay you may disqualify some of those earlier charges.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.