• Tweets

• Hi, the vehicle went to Audi Chingford on Thursday 13th May. I did state beforehand that I only wanted a diagnostic. The technician out of courtesy opened the drain letting huge deposits of water escape the seals. Video evidence was provided via AUDI cam. The link for the audi cam has been forwarded to BMW and Motonovo. I spoke to branch manager explained the situation and he stated he would sent me an email outlining the issue. Audi state this is not really an issue and more of a design flaw. However, the seals still have water ingress. I purchased the vehicle with £0 deposit on a 60 months HP plan for £520.00. The vehicle total was £21000. I did not go for any extended warranty. I live almost 70 miles away from the aftersales centre in Peterborough. I have previously uploaded the document I forwarded to BMW however it was in word format. I have had to buy a new tyre almost three days after purchasing vehicle. BMW still have not compensated me for the v62 cost as they said they would. 
    • I would suggest that you stop trying to rely on legal theory – as you understand it. Firstly, because we are dealing with practical/pragmatic situations and at a low value level where these arguments tend not to work. Secondly, because you clearly have misunderstood the assessment of quantum where there are breaches of obligations. The formula that you have cited above is the method of loss calculation in torts. In contract it is entirely different. The law of obligations generally attempts to remedy the breach. This means that in tort, damages seek to put you into the position you would have been in had the breach not occurred. In other words it returns you to your starting position – point zero. Contract damages attend put you into the position that you would have been had the breach not occurred but this is not your starting position, contract damages assume that the agreement in dispute had actually been carried out. This puts you into your final position. You sold an item for £XXX. Your expectation was that you your item would be correctly delivered and that you would be the beneficiary of £XXX. Your expectation loss is the amount that you sold the item for and that is all you are entitled to recover. If you want, you can try to sue for the larger sum – and we will help you. But if they ask for evidence of the value of the item as it was sold then I can almost guarantee that either you will be obliged to settle for the lesser sum – or else a judge will give you judgement but for the lesser sum. This will put you to the position that you would have been had there been no breach of contract. I understand from you now that when you dispatch the item you declared the retail cost to you and not your expected benefit of £XXX. To claim for the retail value in the circumstances would offend the rules relating to betterment. If you want to do it then we will help you – but don't be surprised if you take a tumble.  
    • I was caught speeding 3 times in the same week, on the same road. All times were 8-12mph higher than the limit. I was offered the course for the first offense and I now need to accept the other 2 offenses. I just want to be ready for what might come. Will I get the £100 fine and 3 points for each of them or do I face something more severe?  These are my only offenses in 8 years of driving.
    • I'll get my letter drafted this evening. Its an item I sold, which I'm also concerned about, as whilst I don't have my original purchase receipt (the best I have is my credit card statement showing a purchase from Car Audio Centre), I do unfortunately have the eBay listing where I sold it for much less. But as I said before this is now a question of compensation: true compensation would seek to put me back into the position I was in before the loss ie: that title would remain with me until my buyer has accepted this, and so compensation should be that which would be needed to replace the lost item. But in the world of instant electronic payment, it could be argued that as I had already been paid, the title to the goods had already transferred, and I was required to refund the buyer after the loss. And so, despite my declared value being the retail price - that which is needed to return me to my pre-sales position, the compensatory value should be the value I sold it for, which being a second-hand item from a private seller is lower. I still believe that I should be claiming for the item's full value, rather than how much I sold it for, as this is the same for insurance: we don't insure the value we paid, but rather the value of the item to put us back into the position we would be in if we ever needed to claim. Its for the loss adjuster to argue the toss
    • amusing that 'bad economic judgement on behalf of prior party ISN'T a major reason to wingers to move to deform yet immigration is, where record levels of such has been driven by the right wings terrible brexit and the later incompetent dog whistle 'proposals largely driven to whistle to the right wingnuts Just seems to confirm the are clueless numpties 'wetting their own shoes   Has farage bought a property in Clacton yet?   yet concern for the NHS is listed as a major issue even by those saying they are moving to deform  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Unenforceable Credit Agreements

Trigger1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When Cabot wrote to me about a debt that they claimed to have purchased, I replied that " the information that I have suggests that I do not have this liability"

In response to that, they informed me that they were going to obtain a copy of my credit agreement from the original lender. I didn't actually ask them to do that.

However, over 30 days have now elapsed without any sign of a credit agreement. Cabot have been writing more than once saying that they have asked for the CA from the original lender as a matter of urgency but are still waiting.

Cabot are being very polite and apologetic about the delay but the point is :

I did not specifically asked for the CA, mention the relevant clauses of the CCA 1974 referring to their obligations to provide me with the CA in my letter to them or send the obligatory £1.

If I haven't done the three things mentioned above, can they claim that I did not comply with the format normally required for a request of a CA and the request is therefore invalid ?

They haven't actually said so. Would it be advisable to start the request for a CA but, this time, mention the relevant sections of the CCA 1974 ( 78, I believe ) and send in the £1 ?

But by doing so, would that take me back to the start of the request process and give them 12 days to respond although the fact is that they haven't been able to provide a copy of the CA for the past 30 days ?

Can I now state that the CA is unenforceable as Cabot have not produced a copy of the CA, although I did not actually ask for one, 30 days after they decided to seek a copy of the CA from the original lender ?

They have told me that they will continue to seek the copy from the lender. They have suspended the account.

They have said that as soon as they get the copy, they will re-start their collection activities.

Should I write to Trading Standards ? If so, why ?

Could I now ask Cabot to close the account as further attempts to ask for payments from me would be unlawful ?

If they produce the CA, are they able to continue asking for payments ?

Another thing is : what should I look for in a credit agreement that would make it unenforceable ?

Precise advice on what makes an agreement invalid or unenforceable ( if there is a difference ) would be most welcome.

Trigger.

i'd wait and see what happens........

could just be a phishing letter.

tell us about the debt

p.s. next time, don't copy and paste from a word doc you have typed??

if you must prepare your post before hand

use notepad.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx10uk

Thanks for reply.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by phishing ?

As for the debt, it is a credit card advance that dates back to sometime between 2000 and 2002. I think it was started to get interest-free funding to clear other high-interest account(s)

Cabot claims to own the debt now . I am not sure whether they purchased the debt or it was assigned (I assume there is a difference between the two. If so, could someone explain, please ?).

The worrying thing is that Cabot has been adding interest all along. What was a balance of just under £2K has now turned into over £3,500.

Are DCAs allowed to charge interest to a debt that they have purchased or has been assigned to them ?

Whether they are or are not at all, should this freedom to charge interest not be prescribed in the original credit agreement ?

If it isn't, could I challenge this interest application ?

Moving onto the CA, an old copy that I have ( I don't remember signing anything else ) says at the top that it is an application form.

I have read about that application forms are just that. They cannot be credit agreements. True ? Am a bit confused here.

The application form that I have does have a small box on the same page that says : "This is a credit agreement registered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be bound by its terms." I have signed in that box.

I hope that I have given enough information on the debt to receive advice, particularly from any members who are well versed in law.

Regards

Trigger1

if you have not made any financial transactions in the last six years then it is statute barred anyhow

totally ignore them, they can do nothing to you. fullstop!

phishing [i guessed right!] means just what you are going through now.

these leechers buy up lists of debts for about 5-10p in the £ and fire off 'phishing letters' to see if anyone will bite. then demand ALL the outstanding money out of people they have no legal right to do so from, but that ofcourse do not know their legal rights as a consumer.

its a VERY profitable market.......[causing problems] people

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dx100uk

Again, thanks for your reply.

I thought that stature barred can only come into play when there has been no correspondence, not payment to the creditor, between claimant and debtor. I may be wrong, of course.

If that is the case, then statute barred cannot apply here, can it, as Cabot has been writing annually to the date to remind me of the liabililty.

It statute barred confines a debt to oblivion because of the non existence of financial transactions which I take to mean payments to the creditor or DCA, then I shall have to wait till 2010.

I have had no feedback on the right of a DCA to apply interest charges to an account that they have bought or taken an assignment on.

I appreciate your comments which I take to be firm advice on my legal position unless I hear otherwise from you or anyone else who may wish to contribute.

Trigger1

I thought that stature barred can only come into play when there has been no correspondence, not payment to the creditor, between claimant and debtor. I may be wrong, of course.

If that is the case, then statute barred cannot apply here, can it, as Cabot has been writing annually to the date to remind me of the liabililty.

*For clarification purposes, acknowledgement is either acknowledgement made in writing or a payment received against the debt.(by you) Once acknowledgement is received, this re-sets the limitation period.*

Thats the way I see it, you have to acknowledge the debt, for the clock to re-start.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Can anyone enlighten me on the right of DCAs to charge interest on an account after it has been assigned to them or they have purchased it, please ?

Also, does a debtor have a better footing with an assigned or purchased debt ?

I have never seen an assignment contract between original lender and assignee. Has anyone got a copy that could be viewed ?

Also, as a CA needs to have certain ingredients prescribed by the CCA 1974 to be valid, what should an assignement contain without which it could not be deemed to be legitimate ?

There are some notable exceptions to the 6yr stat barred rule which may be worth mentioning.

If you owned your house and it was repossessed or sold and there was an oustanding debt to the lender, well they can pursue you for 12 years for

the money..

HMRC of course, there are no limitations where they're concerned and I'm sure that the DWP can collect on money you've been overpaid...as in they've overpaid you on a benefit, they've called in the debt and you've signed off and moved on..I'm sure that if you were to sign on say 10 years later and they had a record of the overpayment then they are still able to deduct money from your benefit payments and they don't have to go to court to be able to do so. I may be wrong on the latter but it used to be the case...

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

the terms of a CCA are between the OC and you and are not typically transfered to a dca that 'buys' the debt.

if the dca is just collecting 'they' cannot add any charges nor add interest

a notice of assignment must be issued if this were the case.

i wouldn't be too worried

its just a phishing letter.

dx

and they

Can anyone enlighten me on the right of DCAs to charge interest on an account after it has been assigned to them or they have purchased it, please ?

Also, does a debtor have a better footing with an assigned or purchased debt ?

I have never seen an assignment contract between original lender and assignee. Has anyone got a copy that could be viewed ?

Also, as a CA needs to have certain ingredients prescribed by the CCA 1974 to be valid, what should an assignement contain without which it could not be deemed to be legitimate ?

I'm sure that different lenders/creditors have their own assignment notices, there isn't a template that they all use, but I have seen some posted around on the forum that have been less than clever...do an advanced search for 'assignment'.

You might want to check the original terms and conditions of the original agreement in regards to if they can pass (by way of a sale/assignment) a debt on to a third party and what charges they can apply...if it doesn't say that they can/may sell the debt on etc...then they can't sell it on (in theory) or at least the buyer cannot expect the same rights as what the original creditor had......

Essentially what I'm trying to say and making a pigs ear of it...if the terms and conditions of the original creditor/lender mentions charges/interest and they then go on to sell/assign full title of the debt and providing the sale documentation has been correctly executed then in my opinion the 'buyer' has pretty much the same rights as the original creditor....

Then again you are talking about Cabot here and from what I've been reading of late where their tactics are concerned it appears in my opinion that they pretty much add/subtract what they want when trying to collect from a debtor....

Hi dx100uk

Cabot have actually applied interest ever since they claimed to have been in ownership of the liability as the sum they claim I owe is now double since the debt was with the original creditor.

Are they therefore acting in contravention of the CCA 1974 ?

If so, how can I raise ( should I ? )this matter with them ?

I haven't made a payment to them or the creditor since 2003 but have been corresponding with them perhaps implying liability for the debt.

what type of corres?

if its by phone then no dice.

in all honesty, having been on here many years now, if it were me - i'd forget all about it and ignore everything they do from now on, they have had far too much of your time.

ignore them.

dx

and they

Hi Dx100uk

Thanks for your words of support.

What I cannot ( although perhaps I should ) get out of my mind is that this is a increasing debt in the eyes of Cabot.

What if they succeed in enforcing the debt. I dread to think what the eventual sum owed will be with compounding interest.

Trigger1

You are able to reclaim all unfair charges & any PPI + interest at 8% even if the debt is Statute Barred.

damn, beat me:D

how about telling us what the debt history is? etc etc

dx

and they

Hi dx100uk

If you last entry is for me, is it the increasing debt that you are referring to and I did not give clear explanations about ?

Cabot are adding interest to the liability that they 'purchased' or was assigned to them ( it may be the former ) and have been doing so ever since they purchased the debt.

Therefore, the debt is increasing all the time.

If, as you suggest, I ignore them, the balance will grow to a phenomenal amount with compound interest.

And if they eventually make a successful claim for the debt, I'll have to pay a very substantial amount to them for a liability that started as a couple of grand in 2000.

I hope that I've made sense this time.

I thank all the contributors to this thread.

Trigger1

Hi dx100uk

Cabot have actually applied interest ever since they claimed to have been in ownership of the liability as the sum they claim I owe is now double since the debt was with the original creditor.

Are they therefore acting in contravention of the CCA 1974 ?

If so, how can I raise ( should I ? )this matter with them ?

I haven't made a payment to them or the creditor since 2003 but have been corresponding with them perhaps implying liability for the debt.

I have a debt with cabot as the collector, initially just under 5k and now at 9.2k according to my credit file even though I've never missed a payment with them. They should send a statement each year but have never done so, when I used to speak to them on the phone the balance was always much less than what my credit file says it is and I am not aware of any assignment via the original lender. I do have letters from Cabot saying that the interest is frozen whilst payments are maintained (which they have been) all of which is good for me when I do decide to round on them...which is imminent...just awaiting some further info first...

It is my contention that Cabot add money to their debts but not always to the debtor, but more possibly to make their porfolio look healthy..either so they can lend money for more debt purchases or to make themselves look good for possible sale or whatever (although I've seen something recent on here I think that shows them having lost a few million last financial year) but whatever it is they've increased my alleged indebtness by almost 100% in less than 4 years...

I'll be stopping paying them very shortly ...

Hi dx100uk

And if they eventually make a successful claim for the debt, I'll have to pay a very substantial amount to them for a liability that started as a couple of grand in 2000.

I think what you should do is SARS them, usually it's best to SARS the original creditor but in the case of Cabot and their ridiculous amounts of interest applied it would be with you making the SARS....it may/probably would turn something up to your advantage....just make the standard Sars request and nothing more....and most certainly don't tell them as to why you want it...just that you do.

lets not get too ahead of ourselves here.

its statute barred

ignore them totally

you need to also remember they are a DCA

they have NO LEGAL POWERS

least of all

its down to THEM to prove its not statute barred

NOt for you to prove it IS.

as for phoning these leechers, some need their head testing

dx

and they

Hi dx100uk

If you last entry is for me, is it the increasing debt that you are referring to and I did not give clear explanations about ?

Cabot are adding interest to the liability that they 'purchased' or was assigned to them ( it may be the former ) and have been doing so ever since they purchased the debt.

Therefore, the debt is increasing all the time.

If, as you suggest, I ignore them, the balance will grow to a phenomenal amount with compound interest.

I hope that I've made sense this time.

I thank all the contributors to this thread.

Trigger1

Hi trigg

I think DX was asking about history of the debt with a view to compiling a case of PPI and charges reclaim, which obviously means they will be owing you money. You have received good advice of serious caggers here and having read the thread I would say you should be relaxed about it. If you think you may have a right to reclaim the charges and PPI why don't you have alook at that

Exasp

lets not get too ahead of ourselves here.

its statute barred

ignore them totally

dx

I haven't read the Author as saying it's stat barred ? in post 5 he states

It statute barred confines a debt to oblivion because of the non existence of financial transactions which I take to mean payments to the creditor or DCA, then I shall have to wait till 2010.

yep but by the time leechers respond to the op's CCA request [assuming we recommend doing that] i bet it will be very close - he could be in Scotland though!!

the other thing to bear-in-mind here is they have got to prove its not SB, not he has.

i think this is what it is all about, its a debt that is very close [or they think it is already] SB'ed & thats why they are trying one last time. very typical tactics.

so what is the OP using as his 6yrs benchmark & who did he pay 5 ish years ago.

this is why i was asking about the debts history, all we know is it is now with a dca, and it was

"a credit card advance that dates back to sometime between 2000 and 2002. I think it was started to get interest-free funding to clear other high-interest account(s)"

dx

eitherway, they are on a hiding to nothing.

and they