Urgent Help Needed With Brighthouse Please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have read all the posts regarding Brighthouse but am still not sure how to tackle this problem for a member of my family.

My cousin has dealt with Brighthouse for a number of years and only this week we found out just what stress this has caused her. She suffered a stoke on Wednesday and unbelievably her main concern was with not being able to pay these people.

I have managed to find out that she has been begging and borrowing to pay them £86 per week!! As she is on sickness benefit how on earth have they let her accumulate this debt?

From what I can gather a few of her agreements are nearing the end but she has recently acquired a lap top from them which was a present so she cannot give this back.

I know she has been very silly and irresponsible but I now need to help her.

I phoned Brighthouse today and explained what had happened, manager was sympathetic but said she needed to call in to make payment.

I said, 'not possible she is in hospital and it is likely that she will for a few weeks, I explained that illness will be long term and I don't want her pestered in any way'.

I offered to pay a small amount per week until debt is cleared (I think total debt is in region of £1000 but not sure) I emphasised that under no circumstances were we trying to avoid this debt but at the moment the situation is very delicate.

He clearly told me that if she didn't pay charges would be added to account and if necessary they would send somebody round to collect goods, after reading your great threads I knew enough to say fine but under no circumstances will they get entrance and this would be considered harassment.

What I want to know is should I send SAR and CCA request. My cousin has no agreements payment cards or anything to show what she owes, what she has paid or what charges have been added to account.

My main concern is stopping them phoning or trying to contact her when she is released from hospital. I will gladly deal with this for her but need some direction.

Many thanks in advance

Firstly, I would write them a letter stating that "Due to *client* (cousin) medical condition, under no circumstances are BH to contact them by phone or house call in person. Recovery from a stroke requires rest and a calm atmosphere, any harassment from BH would likely result in further medical problems and slow recovery"

or to that effect. look here for more info > NHS Clinical Knowledge Summaries - Clinical topic - Stroke and TIA...Recovery

I would send any letters special delivery or recorded as a must... both to head office and the store where the accounts are held.

I am sure there will be others along shortly to help out and hopefully put what I have but better lol

Thank you so much for your speedy replies, will do as you advise. Just need some help regarding sorting out the account because I know from this forum they will not let us pay small amount to clear debt and if they add charges each week this situation will escalate. Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Hi.

This looks like a difficult one...

I have read all the posts regarding Brighthouse but am still not sure how to tackle this problem for a member of my family.

My cousin has dealt with Brighthouse for a number of years and only this week we found out just what stress this has caused her. She suffered a stoke on Wednesday and unbelievably her main concern was with not being able to pay these people.

Yes, this is very typical. BrightHouse have an amazing ability to "brainwash" people into believing their BrightHouse payments are PRIORITY DEBTS... Which, of course, they are NOT.

I have managed to find out that she has been begging and borrowing to pay them £86 per week!! As she is on sickness benefit how on earth have they let her accumulate this debt?

You can guarantee that around 35% of that figure is made up with Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover premiums. The ACTUAL weekly amount is probably nearer the £50 per week mark. The first stage in reducing this "debt" and making the payments a little more manageable would be to remove these extras right away. You will find instructions (and letter templates) HERE in order to do this.

From what I can gather a few of her agreements are nearing the end but she has recently acquired a lap top from them which was a present so she cannot give this back.

This is quite worrying... Unfortunately the laptop wasn't hers to give away. It belongs to BrightHouse until the final payment is made. Is the laptop still at your family member's address?

I know she has been very silly and irresponsible but I now need to help her.

I phoned Brighthouse today and explained what had happened, manager was sympathetic but said she needed to call in to make payment.

I said, 'not possible she is in hospital and it is likely that she will for a few weeks, I explained that illness will be long term and I don't want her pestered in any way'.

I offered to pay a small amount per week until debt is cleared (I think total debt is in region of £1000 but not sure) I emphasised that under no circumstances were we trying to avoid this debt but at the moment the situation is very delicate.

He clearly told me that if she didn't pay charges would be added to account and if necessary they would send somebody round to collect goods, after reading your great threads I knew enough to say fine but under no circumstances will they get entrance and this would be considered harassment.

The advice given in previous posts is good. Firm letter insisting upon no contact other than in writing.

What I want to know is should I send SAR and CCA request. My cousin has no agreements payment cards or anything to show what she owes, what she has paid or what charges have been added to account.

Yes, an SAR is needed here. BrightHouse will almost certainly pretend they have no idea of what you're talking about, and will insist they cannot comply, but stick to your guns. See this thread HERE for advice and guidance.

My main concern is stopping them phoning or trying to contact her when she is released from hospital. I will gladly deal with this for her but need some direction.

Many thanks in advance

Your main concern is for the walfare of your family member. Hope everything goes OK for for you.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)