Child tax. help needed here.

Skillinger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok so my problem is this.. i got with my partner who has 3 kids.. now her ex was a lazy... never worked etc etc... i do... she got with me on the th10 of january officialy and she got paid on the 15th... we recently got a letter stating that we owe them a total of £174.something p as she wasn't entitled to the whole amount... ok heres the stunner... our little boy just turned 1 and as you know money goes down... he turned one on Thursday and on the Monday we got paid... however it seems they took £240 of us because he turned 1... now if she wasn't entitlyed to the £174... surely she is entitled to more than what she got... i mean taking £200 as he was 1 for 5 days... any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Skillinger

The overpayment of tax credits will be due to late notification of the house hold breakdown (going from single to joint claim or joint to joint). Tax credits are calculated on a daily basis, therefore for every day you recieve money you are not entitled to you have to pay it back. However, the new claim can then be backdated to the day after the old claim ended. So you should receive the money back again.

However...again. If your new circumstances mean that your new entitlement is less in your new claim then unfortunately you will be out of pocket.

The child turning one will not have had a bearing on the overpayment as the tax credit system already calculated this in the original payment schedule.

Also if she was with a previous partner, when the overpayment was acrued, then this partner is also liable for the overpayment. The tax credit office normally look for a 50% split on repayment, unless you agree to a different level between you.