Advice on Speeding NIP !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Received an NIP in the post on Saturday claiming I was caught speeding on the 8th of Oct.

We are pretty sure it was my wife driving and not me, but far from 100%.

They claim we were doing 36mph in a 30mph zone. Both surprised as we genuinely are not speeders. Infact where they caught us it is always so busy you cant speed due to car in front.

It was one of those mobile vans with camera out the back that clocked us, but i can say that at that time of day on that road/area 100% would have been other vehicles within a few feet of both front and rear of my car. If i request photo to help identify which one of us it was, can other vehicles in pic be used to contest this????

I asume the mobile vans are not classed as fixed camera although dont think they are gatso either.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Matt

Macmilm,

Firstly your NIP has been delivered in time - so no get out clause there.

Secondly , you can request the photos to I/D the driver; as the offence is usually filmed from the front with the speed vans. Although they can detect speeding when the vehicle is travelling away from the van. It just shows as a minus speed i.e. -36 mph. That again is legal. Some forces have the photos on line - read the bumph that came with the NIP and see if you can view on line. Although you can request the photos, you still have to return the NIP within the 28 day time limit; nominating the driver. Also photos are the only thing that you can request. Some people say you should ask for maintenance redords and traing records etc. The TRUTH of the matter is that you cannot request anything further at this stage. Everything else is covered by the Magistrates Court Act ( Advance Information Rules ) and you can only get further info once you have had a court date and the pre-trial meeting. Then CPS have to send you all the info you request prior to the summary trial.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Scousegeezer

Thanks 4 reply. I dont think i worded my post correctly. I was meaning other vehicles travelling in same direction as me (not other side of road) just dont know how accurate the cameras are to say exactly which vehicle they detected e.t.c

Macmilm,

They are accurate. The way it works is that the operator has to watch the traffic and judge which vehicle is "speeding". He /she then trains the camera onto a specific vehicle, for a few seconds to get the correct reading and also to get the vehicle recorded - to i/d the vehicle and get VRM. They are not allowed to scan all vehciles as that is regarded in much the same way as random breath tests and is not allowed. So ther has to be a human element of judgement involved. When you get the photos back, I can more or less guarantee; that your vehicle will be the only vehicle in the shot that is used to prove the speed. There may be other vehicles in another photo but the one that proves the speed will be concentrated on your vehicle.

Cheers - Scousegeezer

I managed to look at pics online.. didnt realise you could do that.... It proves it was my wife (woohoo, i'm off the hook) but there is a smallish bus directly behind her by only a few feet on the picture used to prove the speed. Still dont think there is anything i can do though. Funny though on the speed on the photo it says 37mph whereas the NIP the put 36mph.. lol

Cheers for your help anyway.

Macmilm,

All is not lost. It depends on which camera partnership covers your area, but; they may allow your wife to attend a speed awareness course. This however depends on any prev convictions and what tolerance they have for their course.

Cheers - Scousegeezer

As the NIP says 36.....she may get lucky. If she names herself and says yes its a fair cop I admit it was me driving and I admit to the offense on the NIP you never know they may not look at the photo and just process it through...they have a lot of paperwork...