• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Samsung Omnia developed a fault

andie_303
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Keeping a very long story short.....

My O/H Samsung Omnia developed a fault where it kept freezing and he had to remove the battery and restart it to get it working again. Then 3 weeks ago the touch screen stopped working - the screen is still on but the touch function does not work.

I called Samsung and they arranged a repairer to fix it as it is within it's 12 months warrenty. I was told to send it Special Delivery and given the address.

I send it and am told it will be fixed within 10 days. After 10 days passes I call Samsung and am informed it was sent back on on 28th August and that it has probably been delayed with postal strikes - give it to the end of the week and call back.

So I call back and they concede it has probably been lost - they don't send their phones back special delivery despite telling me I had to send it to them in that way! so ask what is going to happen about getting a replacement - then I am put on hold. When the operator comes back he tells me that no replacement will be given as the phone was deemed beyond economical repair due to "user mis-use" - now this is a flat out lie and highly convenient when they have lost the phone.

So knowing that they are lying and not one to let things go when companies are trying to get out of their responsibilities - LBA's have been prepared and N1's will not be fair behind.

So my question is who am I claiming against - the repairer who put the phone in the post or Samsung who facilitated the repair, who tell me I cant get a replacement and who insist I cannot speak to the repairer and have to deal through them? Or both for good measure.

Thanks

use sue the supplier of the phone.they are the people who are liable to under the sale of goods act.

I think you are acting very well on this and I think that your decision to act quickly without any messing around is correct and it is a shame don't react in the same way.

However, there is clearly some story here and although it is frustrating, I would suggest delaying why you gather information.

I would suggest that you send an SAR's to Samsun and also to the repairers so that you have all paperwork relating to you and to the repair of the phone. This probably won't be necessary because I expect that once you start issuing summonses they will cave in and pay you out -- but you never know. However do be aware of losing your energy and your enthusiasm for the claim during a 40 days that you have to wait for the disclosure. If you decide that you want to sue anyway, then send the SAR now and also send your LBA giving them 14 days before you sue. Then sue. By the time all the deadlines are up you should have your disclosure. I think that in your claim you should also itemise the cost of the SAR is that you are being obliged to make in order to obtain information. Then when it comes to the issue of settlement you can insist on receiving this money as well so that you are not out of pocket by even a single penny.

Sorry to disagree BF - but there's no proof. Similarly, a SAR to Samsung is pointless, as you are not their customer, and £10 to be told that can be wasteful.

Your issue is you sent a faulty phone to the repairer. You have a few avenues, and I think they are trying it on. Firstly, as there is no issue when you sent the phone to THEM, it was recieved. I'm also assuming at no time before it got lost, had they told you it was unrepairable?

Because without the item, you cannot get the item independently assessed by a different firm, and, as they cannot provide your handset due to their cack-handed returns proceedure, you have every right to require this back, or a working model of the same type.

It is academic whether it was faulty or not now - so you simply give them written notice that they have 28 days to return you handset or supply a working replacement, otherwise you will raise a Small Claims Action for the full cost of a replacement. I believe they'll see sense, and supply a working replacement asap.

Hi BF and Busby and thank you for your responses.

Busby, you are correct there was no communication to me before they sent the phone back telling me it was unrepairable - this only came to light after a number of phone calls to try and trace the phone and they have now admitted it to be lost. And as I was told to send the phone special delivery I find it amazing they do not treat their customers phones in the same manner.

I think I will send written request as Busby says to both the repairer and Samsung and see what response i get.

Just in case does anyone know how I can assess the value of the phone for small claims - I obviously can't claim for the cost of a new one so not sure how to go about calculating what the phone was actually worth.

Don't sell yourself short - any action you take will be for the full cost of replacement as best you can manage for the same make/model. YOU have no need to lower the cost because it was lost, YOU sent it by a fully insured courier and have the proof. If the repairers didn't, that's their tough luck - you want a working phone, not some tat they might have lying around. You may be interested in negotiating downwards later as you come to an 'arrangement', but until then, check either the best currnet price on Amazon or Expansys, or if not there - the best price on eBay foe a similar 'as new' model.

They've not been honourable - but there's no reason for you to be silly!

:)

Please do - but I think you'll get an 'as new' refurb if you pursue it, as they have been tather silly in not protecting themselves. Do also remember that when calculating your loss, the additional time you've been without your cherished handset... :)

Well i thought I was getting somewhere but alas I was rather premature.

Samsung called and told me that as their agent had neglected to look after my handset correctly they would replace it for me - YAY ME THINKS

They give me a model number and say they will send this phone to me. I ask if I can have a little time to look at the spec of the phone on the internet and call them back - they seem quite hesistant but agree.

So I look and what do you know - the phone is a newer model but decidely less in terms of spec than the one I had. So I call them and politely refuse their offer as I do not see why I should accept a lower spec phone - mine was a smart phone with windows mobile.

The issue they now have is that they say they have none of the same or higher spec available so basically it has become a stalemate with them saying the offer of a newer phone is more than reasonable - me saying a lower spec phone is not reasonable.

It has now been left that someone from head office should contact me by the end of today - what does anyone think?

Am I entitled to at least the same spec as the one i had rather than a newer but lower spec model?

Any ideas of where I go if they say they have no phone to offer me?

It has now been left that someone from head office should contact me by the end of today - what does anyone think?

Am I entitled to at least the same spec as the one i had rather than a newer but lower spec model?

Any ideas of where I go if they say they have no phone to offer me?

Yes their agents lost the phone initally, they should replace with with a device of equal or higher specifications.

If they aren't able to do this this then they need to offer you a cash alternative to allow you to purchase a replacement device of equal or higher specification.

If they aren't prepared to do this send Samsung your LBA, setting out what is an acceptable resolution to you, give them a reasonable deadline, if they don't reply then proceed with a claim via money claim online for a refund.

It's good you spotted this before committing yourself - but to be fair to them, the difference in specs is immaterial to the trade, they only see the 'new model' and work on the basis that anything new is better than everything that went before it.

If you can identifty a function within your existing handset (GPS, or other ability based on the inbuild WM software package) simply explain that the replacement requires whatever THAT was - it being the reason you purchased the handset in the first place. Hopefully they'll see sense and provide a quick replacement.

Thanks Busby - I explained to them I use the windows functions all the time i.e. word and excel and the reason for my buying that phone in the first place was it's ability to use those programmes.

The last operator was quite honest and admitted that my "older" model was a much higher spec than that of the one they offered me and that the reason I was being offered that one was that was the highest spec phone they had available to offer me.

They no longer make the phone I had as it was not "economically viable" for them to produce (mine is only 8 months old so I hope noone elses goes wrong inside of a year otherwise they could be in trouble!), the operator said she didn't know what head office could do as they as a company do not currently produce and windows mobile smart phones!

I am not inspired by confidence that they are going to reslove this today either - head office closes at 4!

Well thank the Lord someone at Samsung can see sense!!

Today I have been offered a new model smartphone that also has Windows operating system - it is not released until the 1st October so I cannot get it until then but they have said it will be a brand new one - not a reconditioned one to make up for the incovenience and the waiting

• dx100uk changed the title to Samsung Omnia developed a fault