Want to go back to the UK - what's the deal with the CC debt I left there

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

Hoping for some advice if you will. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but here's my situation: 5 years ago I was in the UK and got a couple of credit cards, I had no job and had to support myself. Not my finest hour but I then left the country (and the debt) after 6 months to come back to the USA where I've been living ever since.

I've since been married and my wife and I want to return to the UK to work. I don't want it to inhibit my chances of getting work over in the UK (I have dual citizenship and have a British passport which I used to obtain the credit). My credit cards were with 2 financial institutes and nothing was signed (they were all online applications). I also had a Barclays VISA which has caught up with me here and I'm paying it back. I haven't heard from the aforementioned 2 cards.

Can someone let me know if a) I'll have any trouble getting back into the UK through customs? I'm assuming I won't but just want this confirmed. b) I realise I won't be able to obtain credit, but will I be able to open a standard bank account with a different bank? c) Is there a time limit on when this debt will be written off at any stage? Oh and one more d) Are these debts enforceable if I didn't sign anything.

PS. I never made any payments on the accounts.

Many thanks in advance, and as I said, apologies if this has been covered in previous posts but I've been stressing about this for ages and haven't been able to find info. I've been too ashamed to tell my wife about this debt also and I'd prefer she never found out to be honest.

Cheers

TW

Edited by webby123
SPELLING

a) I'll have any trouble getting back into the UK through customs? I'm assuming I won't but just want this confirmed
No you won't have any trouble, debt is a civil matter not criminal.

b) I realise I won't be able to obtain credit, but will I be able to open a standard bank account with a different bank?
Yes you can open a basic a/c which includes a direct debit card & cash card from a bank such as the Cooperative or Natwest.

c) Is there a time limit on when this debt will be written off at any stage?
A debt becomes Statute Barred after six years from the last payment or written acknowledgement of the debt.

d) Are these debts enforceable if I didn't sign anything.
If you applied online you would have probably filled in a 'tick-box' which is seen as an electronic signature. But even then if your creditors caught up with you it is still possible for you to request a CCA which means they would have to produce a 'screenshot' of your agreement. if the a/cs are 5 years old they would also have to produce a hard copy with your signature.

Thanks for the great info.

Another couple of questions:

If I got to Scotland, will my bad credit history in England show up there if I try an open a bank account etc? Or is it limited to just England (sorry if that's a dumb question).

I've thought about doing an Experian "free" credit check and am concerned that the information I provide may well be used to pass onto DCA's to find my address etc. Can they do that? I would really like to know what's on my file and what's not.

Thanks again

TW

If I got to Scotland, will my bad credit history in England show up there if I try an open a bank account etc? Or is it limited to just England (sorry if that's a dumb question)
The Statute of Limitations is different if you live in Scotland, it drops to 5 years. If you open an a/c their they will still check your credit file tho'.

I've thought about doing an Experian "free" credit check and am concerned that the information I provide may well be used to pass onto DCA's to find my address etc. Can they do that? I would really like to know what's on my file and what's not.

If you check your file it will be flagged up and alert debt collectors if you use the major credit reference agencies. There is one though who guarantee not to pass your information on https://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/about/credit-reporting-agency.htm

Awesome, thanks a lot.

I think I took out the debts circa May '04 - just to clarify, they will be completely erased off my credit record by May '10 in England and should have come off my record in Scotland already? I guess my credit file will tell me that information?

I mentioned my Barclays VISA caught up with me, so I'm wondering why the other debts haven't come back to me yet - wouldn't they all share the same information? Barclays sold my debt to an agency where I currently reside.

Thanks for responding to my newbie questions.

Barclays VISA have probably used a tracing agent to find you & they won't share that information in case any other creditors manage to get money off you before them. ;)

At the moment any information on your credit file will show your last UK address, so if that was in England any defaults will remain for six years.

One last question - would you happen to know that if I used my other passport as identification when trying to open a bank account in the UK (I used my British one in '04) would I have a new credit file created or would they simply marry up the DOB with my full name?

Right, I like the sound of that. Although I guess if I tell them my overseas address that then gives the others creditors a sniff of how they can track me down. WHY DID I DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! The stupid things you do when you're young seem to have a way of coming back to haunt you.