Will a fare evasion case make it onto the Police National Computer?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had reason to ask my 'local railway' prosecutor about this subject.

If a person is 'reported' for an offence, they will be contactd by the railway prosecution unit. Dependant on the response, or lack of one, a decision will be made, firstly whether the case will go to Court, and secondly what charge will be laid.

If the charge is 'recordable' (In this instance, under section 5 of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889), the allegation will be given an 'arrest/summons' number on the same day as the decision is made. As such, the 'pending prosecution' would be seen by agencies checking PNC.

The Court will then update the record, I am told within 48 hours, when the case is finalised at Court.

I am also advised that because of the extra work involved in getting the 'a/s' number, and then administering it, it is very unlikely that the railway will agree to withdraw cases once the 'decision' has been made. Too much effort for too little reward.

The potential impact for people that we (collectively) advise to 'settle' cases is that you would need to act a bit quickly, or the 'railway' will (metaphorically) smile and say 'sorry, see you in Court.'

• 2 weeks later...

As proof of this particular pudding, I had reason to look at someone's previous convictions this week on a print supplied by the CRO (or is it the CRB these days? why does everything change it's name, just confuses us old folk). The last item mentioned was an impending prosecution for avoiding rail fare, an action being brought by a railway company.