• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claim Stayed – Due to Unenforceable CCA Test Cases.

Blondie40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've heard that judgement is expected to be handed down in January. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone have any information on what these test cases are deciding?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can a reconstituted agreement have a reconstituted signature?

Can a DCA produce a reconstituted witness to this reconstituted agreement verifying its reconstituted accuracy?

Just asking.

Calling an entirely hypothetical spade an entirely hypothetical spade, no. And if some alleged DCA allegedly did reconstitute signatures, they allegedly might fall foul of the Fraud Act. That can carry a prison sentence.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 1 month later...

Technically, anyone relying on a document in court has to produce the original at the hearing.

I say technically because if a creditor is actually required to produce the original document will to a large extent depend upon the judge in any particular case, especially if it's a small claim where rules of evidence are not strictly applied.

RMW

If the debtor has no property and is intent on not paying them in any situation then the only commercial sense is for the creditor to walk away isn't it? I mean when faced with any litigation.

You would think so, however sense and creditor are not often mentioned in the same sentence on this site.

RMW

I seem to remember reading at some point - though heaven only knows where - that a creditor's response to a s77-79 request is subsequently binding upon them. If it is binding, how would that affect them suddenly producing a 'proper' agreement later on, especially if it went to court?

RMW

I have read all the comments regarding 'reconstituted documents' and I realise that they are acceptable in court if the original agreement is not available. This appears to be accepted practice and the comments in the manchester cases, endorsing that opinion, if the original is lost in the case of fire etc. back it all up.

What about, as in the case of at least one lender, they admit that the originals have all been shredded and they therefore rely on a copy in court. Surely when the original has deliberately been destroyed the problem of no original should restrict them in the amount of leway they have in reconstruction.

Otherwise anyone with a dodgy set of originals could destroy the lot and recreate as needed.

The manchester cases only concerned responses to s77-79 requests and have no impact whatsoever on the requirement to produce original agreements in court. A copy, i.e. photocopy or microfiche, might be acceptable in court if the original has been lost, but a reconstituted one will never be acceptable if the consumer knows enough to challenge it - or even ask that the agreement be produced in the first place.

RMW

Thanks RMW

I realise that and thanks for pointing it out. I meant to type 'copy documents' so is a copy acceptable in court if the original has been deliberately destroyed?

For example: there are many instances on threads where only the front of the agreement has been provided and the lender is relying on standard T & C. which would have been overleaf or attached, as the original has been destroyed.

I realise that a S77/78 request can still be satisfied but I cannot find any cases that have been won or lost in court on this argument. Is it a fact that not a single one has been tested in court.

Technically in court the creditor would have to produce the original agreement. I say technically because, for various reasons, the judge might allow a copy. One such reason might be that it's on the small claims track and the strict rules of evidence don't apply, another reason might be that the creditor's legal team persuade the judge that it's reasonable for them only to provide a copy.

So far as I know, this has yet to be actually tested in court but there are a couple of threads on this forum where creditors have been ordered to produce the original. I don't think any of them have got to the final hearing yet though.

• Haha 1

RMW

Having read many posts recently about judges ignoring the law, I am now desperate to use proper representation but am still confused as to the costs.

I am potless, having worked from leaving school until passing forty having paid tens of thousands in tax & hi am now at the bottom of the pile with a load of cc debts, some with no agreements, some with what appear uneanforceable ones, and a couple that I know are kosher.

Is there any route I can take to get proper legal representation? What would be the lowest possible entry fee?

Whether you get any help with costs through whatever Legal aid is now called depends almost entirely on your income and your assets, e.g. savings. Try and find a solicitor who offers a free initial interview (CAB should have a list of local ones). If nothing else, he could tell you if you have a chance of getting help and since it's free, you might as well try it.

RMW

hi can anybody recomend a good cmc

It depends what you want them to do. If it's sort out your finances and come up with a sensible payment plan, then CCCS or Payplan, being free, are your best bet.

If you want them to challenge debts etc, then I can't comment since I've never used one. Is it not worth at least a try at doing it yourself, with help from the forum?

RMW

4 c cards been with a solicitor for 10 months now he says not willing to go on since the test case of 23rd december

My suggestion is that you start a thread of your own, possibly one for each card, in the appropriate forum, then do a 'story' of what's happened so far and get some advice from the people on here.

RMW

In my opinion (and that is all it is) a judge might allow a copy in the following circumstances

1. It's a small claim where strict rules of evidence do not apply.

2. The creditor has some persuasive argument as to why they cannot produce the original, but can produce a photo- or microfiche copy, e.g. fire damage. A good barrister might even succeed in persuading the judge if it has just been lost.

3. The judge hates debtors and would send them to prison if he could.

4. **** happens.

I do not believe any judge should ever accept a reconstructed agreement in place of the original, but that doesn't mean that one won't at some point.

RMW

I am now lost just thought the above was an interesting version on the Fountain Court chamber website.

Former member of the Fountain Court chamber in the Temple was Waksman.

I suggest you read the judgement yourself. It may take some time and effort, but judgements are nearly always logically presented and can be followed by someone without any legal knowledge. There is a link somewhere on this thread but I don't have time to look for it just now.

For the record, my reading of the judgement is that a reconstructed agreement is fine to comply with a request under s77-79 of the CCA, and failure to provide/have a copy of the original does not prevent enforcement up to the issue of proceedings. This has no effect whatsoever on what is needed to enforce an agreement in court which remains the original agreement.

RMW