• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help wanted Marbles.com

gazab41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Phew.. well one lesson you should have learned from this is NEVER to discuss your account on the telephone. Always, always in writing.

Questions :

Are you paying this via your bank and can you account for all payments you have made from your bank statements. If not, do you have receipts for each payment made.

Do you still have your complaint in with the FOS or have they given their decision ?

Marbles should at the very least be able to provide statements from the time when they took over the account.

It would seem to me that from 2005 until 2008 when you were not receiving statements, the balance increased even though you were keeping to the arrangment made with HFC. It is my understanding that the arrangement should have been honoured by Marbles, yet they say that new terms and conditions were applied.. Can they do this ? I am not sure, I would say not.

The missing payment.. was it ever found ?

If this were me, I would be writing back saying something along the lines of:

Dear Sir/ Madam

Account Reference

I am responding to your letter dated XX October 2009.

I am concerned that since Marbles took ownership of this account an arrangement made between myself and the original creditor has not been honoured.

I am also very concerned that since Marbles has taken ownership, the balance has increased substantially due to fees and interest, which I was under the impression had been frozen untill the balance had been repaid.

You say that the terms and condtions of the account were changed when you took ownership of the account. Yet these were never provided to me. Was this change allowed for in the original agreement ?

You say you are unable to provide statements for the previous 6 years in order for me to see how this increased balance has come about.

It is my understanding that you are obliged to keep this information and would almost certainly be required to prove the balance claimed should this go to litigation.

I have requested that you refund all penalty charges that have been applied to this account since 2005. Your letter conveniently avoided commenting on this part of my complaint other than to say you are unable to locate statements that would enable to put in a claim.

I am of the opinion that there is little point in my continuing to make reduced payments in order to see the balance increase.

I look foward to receiving a more favourable response from you within the next 14 days. Should this not be forthcoming, I will be making an official complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours etc

You may wish to wait for other comments.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erm, this seems to be a bit of a mess, gaza.

If I understand correctly, this account was originally with HFC/Beneficial. was it a loan or credit card ?

At some point you entered into an arrangement whereby you paid half the contractural payment and they froze interest and charges. You maintained payments by standing order ?

It was then taken over by Marbles.

When they took it over, they started to reapply the interest and charges and it now looks as though the account has doubled if not more from the amount they took over ?

Do you know how this was transferred to Marbles and on what date.

Was it by Notice of Assignment, or a just a takeover.

Were you informed that this was happening and do you have the balance that was transferred to Marbles.

If you can provide the information above, perhaps we can make a little more sense of what is happening.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

gaza, can you make it a bit larger please:)

BCOBS

From what I can see this is a bit of a muddle.

You had an agreement with the original lender for a reduced payment plan with Zero percent interest.

You stuck to your side of the bargain, but this account "migrated" to another company and they have not honoured the payment plan.

Is that correct ?

They have failed to provide you with the statements in order for you to see where payments you have made and they say they havent received, have gone. But they have failed to do this.

Therefore, the balance is being questioned by you.

Yes ?

The letter above is an advanced warning of what their intentions are. Almost certainly to issue a default notice and record non payment with the Credit reference agencies, the latter which they are almost certainly doing anyway :rolleyes:

All the other threats they are making ie the charging order on your home and attachment of earnings they cannot do unless they take you to court and WIN.

Have you received a copy of the agreement, did you actually ask for a copy ?

If they havent provided a copy of this and the terms and condiitions from account opening and the terms and conditions that have subsequently been issued then all they can do at the moment, is persist with telephone calls, and threats of what COULD happen.

Are you still paying the reduced sum ?

BCOBS

Ok, I will send out an SOS for you.. see if I cant find someone who can help you draft a letter that will sort this out for you.

It may not be today.. ok ?

BCOBS

Pedross, many thanks for answering my distress call :D

gaza, send the letter Pedross has drafted for you.. and please keep us updated.

Pedross, I am having problems "repping" people.. so please accept my I.O.U. :D

BCOBS

gaza, did you ever send off for a copy of the agreement as advised by Pedross in post 2 of this thread ?

If so, have you had a response ?

BCOBS

Watch what you are doing with IOU's CB, look what happened to Danniella:eek:

I will note it in my book:)

Pedross

Oooh, tell me more ?:D

• Haha 1

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what help you want, gaza ?

Have you done a subject access request (which does cost you £10.00). They are under no obligation to provide statements free of charge.

With the CCA request (£1.00) they are obliged to send a statement of account only.

BCOBS

Gaza, they say they are confident they can provide a witness statement to say that it was their process to always have a signed agreement in place.

Brilliant.. no problem with that. However, how confident are they that the document had the prescribed terms as required by the Consumer Credit Act.. :rolleyes:

If they were that confident then the document would not be lost. That is what you need to be focussing on.. an agreement signed in the prescribed manner by both of you and signatures apended to a document containing the prescribed terms.

They can provide whatever they like or say whatever they like for an s78 request.. but for any court action they require the document as above. If they dont have it, then any reproduction will be hearsay and I am sure there are plenty of Marbles agreements floating around the forum from the period you took yours out that would prove that the document wasnt compliant.

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

gaza,

They say in their letter dated 12 April that you were sent a Default Notice. I do not see a copy of that on your thread.

There is a letter dated 3rd March 2010 (post #21) headed "Intended Action", where they advise they will be sending you one. But that itself is NOT a default notice.

So if you have received a specific letter headed Default Notice, can you please let us see a copy of it.

Reading back over your thread, I see that one of your issues is that you believe you were told you had a Zero % interest until the end of the contract whilst you were on a reduced payment plan.

Looking at the letter from HFC in post # 11, yes they do say that. However, if you broke the terms of the "new" contract then they would probably be permitted to return to their normal contract terms.

I would say one thing however, if it is their intention to rely on the letter dated 3rd of March as a genuine Default Notice. They are stuffed :)

BCOBS