Got a Possession Order, Tenants ran, now what?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

First post. This is a great site and a real quality source of information. I hope someone can advise on my situation. I had a tenant that decided not to pay rent and make an awful mess of a brand new apartment:mad:

Anyway, went down the possession order route after unsuccessful section 8. Around the hearing date the couple did a runner leaving the property unsecured and in a horrible state. In a matter of 8 months they took a shiny new apartment and left me with several weekends worth of cleaning and repair work.

They left with £5000 in rent arrears.

The court order was of course granted for possession as well as repayment of outstanding sums. However, not to sure what this actually means as they have vanished.

Would be grateful on any advice on what in reality can be done to recover the funds. I'm glad to at least have the property back but enraged that someone can get away with it and will no doubt move on and do it again.

Incidentally it was let through an agent who did the usual homelet reference. I've been little naive and trusting. Looked at the homelet reference and the only previous address of the man was the same as his employer's address.. Surely the agent is accountable for such poor vetting?

I am guessing if they did not pay the rent, and live in a tip, they actually have no money to give you anyway. In order to find them I would assume that would involve private detectives and then you would have to appoint a solicitor to advise you on how to recover the costs...

Once you go down that route how much of £5k will you have spent, not to mention the heartache involved?

Thanks for the response. Whether they didnt have the money or are simply very professional in what they do I'll never know although I suspect its the latter. They knew exactly how long to push it, when to vanish etc

As far as the letting agent goes I think they have a lot to answer for recommending someone with such a flaky reference.

You should commence legal proceedings against them and even if you get nothing, at least they will end up with a CCJ which should prevent them doing to this to another landlord.

You do not need a solicitor, but you do need to find out the tenants address somehow for service of the papers.

Alternatively you could commence against your agent.

I am presently doing the same, although my problem is no where to the scale of yours.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.