• Tweets

• The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
    • Hello everyone,   Just thought id post an update.   I've today now finally received a claim form from PRA Group. Bit annoying as the last payment to them would have August 2018 so was nearly over the line. I believe my only grounds for defence is that they haven't managed to produce a copy of the DN notice, however from some online research I managed to find some case law that stated they can use their systems screenshot to show proof of it being sent.   I know I have to respond back to their claim form and will do so online on moneyclaim, is now the time to pick up the phone to them and negotiate a deal?   Any advice as always is much appreciated it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cupcake vs Egg 03

cupcake68
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi WM

Thanks for your advice

Do you mean the Brian Carter letter? It doesn't say much more than I quoted but it definitely says "we have now issued litigation proceedings in the county court. You will receive the claim form in the next 48 hours direct from the court"

I can post it up if it helps though!

Cupcake

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is I DID ring them - and e-mailed - and agreed to pay £5 per month to stop "further action".

I personally consider this a cheap way of avoiding any further hassle whilst I await the result of PT's test case - but each to his own!

BD

Ok, quick scan of your thread and you do have the original DN & TN.

If I were you I would SAR Egg today and get as much info as you can.

A SAR to Egg rarely turns up nothing useful :D

IMHO there is something wrong with the claim as they are using Carter rather than a proper solicitor.

JMHO though

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Thanks for the quick response BD

I have just spoken to FOS (great minds!) and there is nothign they can do if Egg decide to issue proceedings whilst the complaint is ongoing but they can get any judgement removed after the event if they decide it was not correct to do so.

I am nervouse to call BC and make a payment because I am sure I have read elsewhere that that is accepting the debt in some way.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks guys!

Cupcake

1. I would check with OFT or FSA if Egg/Bryan Carter are breaking OFT or FSA guidleines by doing this while the case is still ongoing.

2. You can agree to make a token payment without accepting liability - pending clarification. After all (putting aside dodgy DN's, TN's etc.) until PT's case is settled NO ONE KNOWS if the Egg debts are enforceable or not - that is assuming they CAN find the original signed CCA.

3. Without the original signed CCA they SHOULD NOT be able to ENFORCE the CCA in Court - but it might (but shouldn't) depend on how dodgy the judge is.

BD

BTW - I heard this morning the OFT boss is the highest paid "mandarin" - so he'll be well used to not being able to afford to keep up with HIS debts!!!!

All I can say is I DID ring them - and e-mailed - and agreed to pay £5 per month to stop "further action".

I personally consider this a cheap way of avoiding any further hassle whilst I await the result of PT's test case - but each to his own!

BD

Problem is that won't stop them in 6 months when they suddenly ask for the full amount and submit a claim a week later .........

been there done that ....... and won !! :lol:

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Hi WM

Thanks for your advice

Do you mean the Brian Carter letter? It doesn't say much more than I quoted but it definitely says "we have now issued litigation proceedings in the county court. You will receive the claim form in the next 48 hours direct from the court"

I can post it up if it helps though!

Cupcake

Yes Cupcake, I did mean the BC letter...only to see if it definitely stated that that had issued proceedings. I'm sure you know that a lot of these letters are strategically written into making you think that things have or will happen when in fact there are a lots of "we may..." type statements in there.

I'm slightly bemused as to why they would even bother sending you this letter as the court papers would arrive in the post in due course anyway.

On a reassuring note, I get the impression that BC frequently mess up their litigation so that goes in your favour.

Quickly looked through your thread. Is your argument that the account was unlawfully terminated whilst in dispute??

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Thanks everyone!

I will SAR them today and also get the reply from Egg back to the FOS (apparently it is classed as their final response even though it doesn't say so - I thought that was a must!)

How long roughly does it take from this point to get to court? Will I have time to get the info on SAR ?

Thanks again

Cupcake

On a related note, I'm not sure if PT's case will have any bearing on this agreement which was taken out in 2007 and appears to adopt the newer Citi style agreement as opposed to the old Egg one.

I did check online to see when Citi took over Egg and that was in 2007. It might be interesting to know on what date the format of the agreement changed though. (I get the impression the deal was finalised on 1 May 2007 but naturally had been going on for a long time before that with regulatory approval obtained in late January).

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Problem is that won't stop them in 6 months when they suddenly ask for the full amount and submit a claim a week later .........

6 months is a long time in the debt juggling game - and only costs £30 at £5 per month - lots can happen in that time - most likely in our favour!

But each to his/her own.

All we should do is say what we have done, or what we would do - not what the other CAGGER MUST do. Only the person themselves can make the final choice.

BD

Thanks everyone!

How long roughly does it take from this point to get to court? Will I have time to get the info on SAR ?

Varies on your local court's caseload, but absolutely ages (several months+) in my experience....plus you have the summer holidays approaching I'm not sure if one of the CPR routes might apply but if it's BC and not Egg as the claimant then a SAR may well be necessary for the latter.

Make sure that you are prescriptive in respect of the SAR list of information you require, including a Comms log.

Best of luck!!

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

to echo WM's comments - I would expect the claim form to arrive tomorrow, if not Thursday. Then there are many avenues open to you with making CPR requests and application(s) to court to force BC & Egg into a corner.

Get ALL your paperwork in order and get it onto Photobucket with all your details removed as it will make advising so much easier with all the info to hand.

and yes the SAR is to EGG not BC

have a good search of CAG for carter & Egg to cheer yourself up

WOW!

I'm trying my best to keep up!

Yes that is my reason for not paying. Here is a brief (!) outline of events....

I CCA'd them (March 2009)

They said no agreement so no signature

I sent library letter re no signature required

They opened a complaint but ignored CCA request

I sent account in dispute letter

They opened another complaint!!

4 weeks later they wrote again about my complaint (first one) being received telling me their enquiries were continuing

3 weeks later they responded to "my complaint" (first one). They addressed all my complaints about harrassment etc but said my "concerns relating to my credit agreement have been raised seperately and will be addressed at a later date by customer realtions"

A few days later another letter about complaint (2nd one) and their enquiries continuing.

2 weeks later DN received giving me 24 days from the day I received it.

1 week later legal action pending as I have not responded to their DN

3 weeks later DCA chase letter - " Egg is unaware of any recent contact"

5 days after the date on their DN they terminate the account.

Moorcroft and then Freds chase letters

Bemused letter to both

Then finally Freds send "My agreement" which is actually a screen print (dated 16/12/09) of my current agreement.

More letters from Freds and Brian CarterI sent the standard you must not threaten legal action whilst CCA request is ongoing.

Letter from BC threatening action on 23rd Feb if I did not pay

I complained to FOS and emailed BC to tell them the situation.

Same "agreement" came back from BC

FOS replied saying I would hear from Egg with their final response within 8 weeks

Egg replied saying they had already complied but would do so again and I would get this by 27th May.

No agreement has arrived but BC's letter informing me of court proceedings was dated 26th May although I only received it today.

I hope that makes it a bit easier!

Cupcake

Make sure that you are prescriptive in respect of the SAR list of information you require, including a Comms log.

Best of luck!!

Sorry I am out of my depth here!!

What is comms log?

This is the template letter I was going to send.

Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

Please supply me with all data that you hold on me. This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-

1. The original signed, executed credit agreement/s and any terms and conditions that applied to the account/s at the time of default and at the time the account/s was/were opened.

2. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with ORIGINAL CREDITOR. - delete or add this depending on whether you are sending this to the original creditor/or a debt collection agency

3. True copies of any notice of assignment and default notices or enforcement notice that you/or name of the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

4. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account/s, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date/s they were/ it was added and deleted. (if applicable).

5. Details of any collection charges added to the account/s; specifically, the date they were/it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was/charges were calculated, and what the charge covers/charges cover.

6. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account/these accounts and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

7. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

8. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

9. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement/s.

10.Termination notices

PLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec)

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply all the above documents in line with the Information Commissioners Technical Guidance update (Dated August 2007)

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

Yours faithfully

Is this correct

Thanks again

Cupcake

The letter looks fine Cupcake. I've seen some where people just say "send me all the info you have" and invariably don't get what they want...even though you'd think that they should!!

Add a Comms Log...it stands for Communications Log and should be a computerised record of dates, calls, and action taken in repect of your account.

This is what I usually include.....

Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor.

. Full copies or transcripts of any computer logs or database records kept in relation to myself or in relation to my financial or personal information.

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Another thing.... (sorry)

Does anyone think I should write back to BC?

If so what should I say?

Thank you

Cupcake

No, just ignore them...

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

One final thing before I log off...if you have, or have ever had, more than one account with Egg then you can list all account numbers under the one SAR.

• Haha 1

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Hi Guys!

I sent this letter to BC last week....http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/575-letter-to-solicitors-threatening-legal-action-in-default-of-agreement-request-

but crossed in the post, I received a letter from BC on Saturday saying if I do not pay up "COURT PROCEEDINGS WILL BE ISSUED ON 23 FEBRUARY 2010 IF PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED AT THIS OFFICE BY THAT DATE"

Should I be concerned?

Thanks Cupcake

Brian Carter are always sending these letters out, I've had quite a few and so have other people I know of, and they don't tend to result in a court claim - it's designed to intimidate you into making a payment. I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. There is a letter around somewhere on the forum that can be used in response - I've used it a few times and BC have then backed down completely. I will have a look later and post it up if I come across it.

Magda

That's strange, I clicked on a link to "Egg credit agreement, what do I think is wrong with them, and ended up on your actual thread for some reason - strange...

Anyway, I can see now that you have had a letter stating that proceedings actually have been issued, rather than will be issued, so it is possible that they have gone that step further.

Magda

relax :) and chill out :D

Certainly don't get stressed over it as that will not help anyone.

Before you get heavily involved in all this you need to ask yourself whether you would be prepared to possibly go to Court and argue your case against a solicitor and/or a barrister in front of a Judge.

If your answer is yes then fine, if it's no then also fine, just need to think along a different route.

For the former, you have 2 weeks to send in the AOS (Acknowledgement of Service) you can do that online and you show an intention to defend all. That will then give you another 28 days.

I expect you will need to apply for an extension to your defence submission time as you will be waiting for the SAR info. No Court will refuse this so that will extend it by another couple of weeks or so.

Use this time very wisely read as many threads on here of similar cases and really build up in your head what your account is all about and where to look for errors.

Your current argument is very weak i.e. terminating an account in dispute as IMHO they can do it - there is nothing in law to say they can't - whether it is 'good practice' or 'fair practice' or not is certainly debateable but as to whether it is unlawful and they should lose all rights to be repaid because of it is very doubtful.

BUT that is not to say you do not have a case.

Do you own property? is there equity in it?

In your mind what is the worst case scenario - you have to be aware of the risks you cannot just blindly go into litigation just sending template letters thinking that all will be ok.

If you don't think you are up to it then I would advise getting proper legal advise and maybe trying to get a 'no win no fee' solicitor. Maybe PM PT as he has a particular penchant for scrambling egg.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but trying to put both sides.

Certainly don't panic, or get stressed, take a couple of days to work out how you want to move this forward.

Good luck :)

I take it the first thing to do is complete the acknowledgement of service?

How do I go about getting it transferred to my local court?

Thanks

Cupcake

you have 14 days to file the AOS. It will be automatically transferred when/if you defend.

Your most urgent point at the moment is building a case and getting all teh info you can.

If you submit a 'spurious' defence and then lose, you could open yourself up to considerable £5k-£10k of additional costs as well, so it needs to be done correctly.

Sorry to be the 'doom & gloom merchant' here.

I just think it is best to know the risks before you jump in.

This is a claim for £15k + IIRC and therefore Fast Track and possible involvement of Counsel & full costs liabilities.