ACS:Law copyright file sharing claims, Gallant Macmillan - and probably some others along the way...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep your right, thinking about it thats only going to give you the local IP from your routers DHCP table. Far better to logon to the router config and see what the IP address the ISP has given you or to use remote software to see it as you've given above.

rep added.

S.

Thank you very much, the_shadow!

On the question of anonymous IP, as been previously mentioned, SIM based PAYG is pretty good. The only downside is it is far slower than copper or cable and is capped. It is getting faster all the time though.

I seem to remember, many years ago, there was an attempt to make it a requirement to provide ID when purchasing a PAYG mobile. I wonder if our lords and masters will try the same thing with mobile broadband....

Howdy, can you tell me how to do this?

That would work for prying eyes, but if any enforcement agency were to get hold of the disk that wouldn't be enough. "Deleting" files merely marks the space they occupy as free, the data remains and can easily be recovered (unless it is heavily and completely overwritten). It is possible to zero fill the space, but that is not necessarily for novices.

Another point to bare in mind - if you use Googles personalised service, iGoogle (and others) your web history may also be stored on their servers....

if it has not been downloaded offer for an independant deep packet inspection to be paid for by ACS,if and when it comes back as clear sue for defamation i am in the proccess through which to begin a action against DAVENPORTS ,nothing has been downloaded from this computor so i got no worries

on the other hand Davenports have a lot to worry about i just cant wait for a case to be brought against me in fact i have demanded they begin action imediately

patrickq1

Interesting - I certainly think they are just looking to make a quick buck off those who panic and pay up without seeking proper advice.

The problem they will always have is proving the offense. I can quite clearly prove that my PC was not used on a given date. I can do this because, like a lot of people, I have several PC's, laptops, iPhone etc. which all connect using the same external IP. So unless they also capture the MAC address, who's to say which PC needs to be tested? I say it is the one sat in the corner of the box room that hasn't been used for over a year..... And, even if they captured the MAC address whats to stop me spoofing it or changing the NIC?

Also, (no I am not a cybercriminal and I haven't had one of the letters), One of my PC's has 4 different hard drives, each separately bootable with it's own OS and is quite capable of running with any 3 of those removed. In fact, it could run quite happily booting off a Ubuntu live CD with no hard drive, using a USB memory stick as a storage medium.

Any forensic analysis of the H/D would be pointless, it could easily be replaced after the alleged download event.

Exactly! Their case is based on untested, unreliable and unprovable methods. They know this, but they also know that it's easy to scare people into caving in, especially if you bamboozle them with technical jargon....

Of course, the danger if it ever went to court is that they were to turn up with a "expert witness" who claimed it was proof positive and the defendant was not technically clued up or represented... I'm sure not many judges know anything about the concepts.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks