• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Monument CCA -Help Please

squidward
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way it says 'subject to approval' at the bottom....i'd say this was a pre contract application, no prescribed terms on the signature page either with no direct references to other terms...it can also sometimes depend on how a judge sees it....

Thank you for your response to my request under the Consumer Credit Act section 78.

I am pleased to see that you confirm this as a true copy of the original agreement executed by yourselves on the XXXXX. I note you have not included any of the terms and conditions of the 'agreement' at the time the account was opened, therefore you are still in default of my request.

As you must realise this agreement does not conform to sections 60(1) and 61(1) of the Consumer credit Act and is therefore unenforceable under section 127(3) of the same act.

You had until (date here) to provide me with the true copy I requested. After that date you entered into default of my request and I am therefore advising that the matter is now in dispute . Whilst the matter is in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, make any further charges to the account or pass the account to anybody else.

Please note you may also consider this letter a statutory notice under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies including any defaults. Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data. It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’, you must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you fail to respond within 21 days, I will expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Hi Guys

Just a quick Question is the date XXXXX below the date they put on there reply to me or the date the original agreement was signed ?

Thanks Squidward

"am pleased to see that you confirm this as a true copy of the original agreement executed by yourselves on the XXXXX. I note you have not included any of the terms and conditions of the 'agreement' at the time the account was opened, therefore you are still in default of my request."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Well over the weekend I received these letters form monument and had a couple of telephone calls asking me to call them urgently.:rolleyes:

Account in dispute letter sent 27 April so still in 21 days

What should I do next ?

BR

Squidward

scan0018.jpg

scan0018.jpg

Edited by squidward
Left personnel info on letters

Hi All

Today Monument have had there 21 days since I put the account in dispute. There have been some calls from there collections dept asking for payment last week - I kindly reminded her the account was in dispute and she said OK very politely and hung up the phone.

Whats is my next move or do I now wait for them ?

BR

Squidward

Edited by squidward

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ida

Just recieved this letter from Monument Basically it states they feel they have complied my request under s78 of the CCA albeit with a unenforceable agreement.:D

Letter

scan0027.jpg

Monumentletter210509.jpg

Should I reply to them and explain why ?

I was thinking of sending a slightly altered version of cerberusalert letter below .....

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

I have received the documents you sent and in the accompanying letter you have confirmed this to be a true copy of the credit agreement that exists in relation to this account. As you have sent this document in response to a formal request under Section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, this statement is now binding on you as per section 172 of the Act

I must inform you that the information received does not meet the requirements of a properly executed credit agreement under the 1974 Act The document received does not contain any of the prescribed terms as set out in the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) Schedule 6 Column 2.

Since this document does not contain the required prescribed terms it is rendered unenforceable by s127 (3) consumer Credit Act 1974The absence of a properly executed credit agreement prevents you from:

Adding interest to the account

Taking any enforcement action on the account

Issuing any default notices or registering any default marker with a credit reference agency

This situation is backed by case law from the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (House of Lords) the highest court in the land.

Your attention is drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the agreement cannot be enforced.

Wilson v First County Trust Ltd [2001] EWCA Civ 633, Sir Andrew Morritt, Vice Chancellor said:

The creditor must…be taken to have made a voluntary disposition, or gift, of the loan monies to the debtor. The creditor had chosen to part with the monies in circumstances in which it was never entitled to have them repaid

In the case of Dimond v Lovell [2000] UKHL 27, Lord Hoffmann said Parliament intended that if a consumer credit agreement was improperly executed, then subject to the enforcement powers of the court, the debtor should not have to pay.

I would also point out that if you continue to pursue me for this debt while it is dispute you will be in breach of the OFT guidelines

What I Require

I require all correspondence in writing from here on; any persistent attempts to contact me by phone will be reported to trading standards

I require you to produce a compliant copy of my credit agreement to confirm I am liable to you or any organisation, which you represent for this alleged debt, if you cannot do so I require written clarification that this is the case. Should you ignore this request I will report you to the Office of Fair Trading to consider your suitability to hold a credit licence in addition to a complaint to Trading Standards, as you will be in breach of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40 where the agreement is unenforceable it would be in everyone’s interest to consider the matter closed and for you to write the alleged debt off. I suggest you give serious consideration to this as any attempt of litigation will be vigorously defended and I will counter claim for all quantifiable damages

Yours Faithfully

Am I on the right track here ?

Thanks Squidward

Edited by squidward

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi Ida

Thanks for the support

I was thinking along the lines of possibly doing a Subject action Request and then if thing get to "pre -court" andI have to produce my defense or Particulars of claim I would then do the CPR 31.16 ??

I hope I am not getting things mixed up as there is an awfully lot to take in!

Thanks again

Squidward

Hi All

Well I thought I would check my credit file online today and Monument have registered a late payment on my file even though the account has been in dispute from the end of April.

The account in dispute letter clearly states "Issuing any default notices or registering any default marker with a credit reference agency".

Is there a letter I can send to stop them doing this?

Thanks

Squidward

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Please Help !

Well I have now received a letter to which they say this is there final response.

They feel that the agreement sent is enforceable and will continue to chase the debt.

They are also transferring the debt the there legal representatives.

Any one help as to my next move or letter ?

Letter from Monument below

scan0030.jpg

scan0031.jpg

They say that they have sent you a copy of the Monument conditions reflecting the original agreement you entered into with Monument.

The application in post #1 was made to Providian National Bank. How can Monument conditions reflect the conditions in your original application?

I got the same standard letters and application you got, in reply to my CCA and CPR 31.16, and if they sent you the same T&C's they sent me, they are the current Monument terms.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply

I think then now is the time to apply for the CCA under CPR 31.16 which will I suppose flush out any Providian T&C's and or anything else that I may have signed if they have them.

With this being passed (supposedly) to their legal people should I send account in dispute letter when they contact me ?

Cheers

Squidward

When I sent a CPR 31.16 request to Monument, they came back with the same letter as you have just posted, referring me to their solicitors. I have since sent Gately Wareing a copy of my request, and they have another week to satisfy that request, before I send the second letter off to them.

I put the account into dispute about three months ago, but of course, Monument insist that an application to Providian and a current set of Monument T&C's represent the agreement, and as far as they are concerned, there is no dispute.

Alan

Sqidward

Here is a copy of a letter Peter Bardsley received from DTI reference his request for them to clarify what is required in an agreement.

dti

21 December 2006

Re consumer credit act 1974

Thank you for your letter of the 7th of December on behalf of your constituent Mr Peter Bardsley of ***** about a possible irregularity in the Consumer Credit act 1974.

The Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations apply to all the situations that are listed in the Schedule to the Regulations and this include Sections 77 and 78 of the Act, which are about copies of the executed agreement and not pre contractual information

The Cancellation Notices and copies of Documents Regulations are made under Section 180 of the Act ) power to prescribe the form etc of documents) and Section 180 enables Regulations to be made to provide for including/excluding certain information from copies sent out under the Act. The Regulations apply to all copies sent our under the Act unless specifically excluded in the Regulations themselves.

Mr Bardsley describes a situation in which he was sent a copy of a company’s standard Terms and Conditions when requesting a copy of a signed agreement form. Just sending the Terms and Conditions is a breach of the Act and Regulations as, apart from the information that the Regulations provide that you may exclude, the copy must be a “true copy” of the agreement**

If Mr Bardsley feels that the rules are being flouted he should report the companies concerned to Trading standards and the Office of Fair Trading. It is also a breach of the Act and the Regulations to send the application form rather that a “true copy” of the Agreement.

On the point that Mr Bardsley makes about unscrupulous companies adjusting agreements, If there were a dispute about an agreement, the lender would need to prove to a court that there was an agreement and, it is highly likely that the lender would have to produce the original signed document to prove they had and agreement with the consumer to start with,

The lender should need to prove to a court that there was and agreement and, it is highly likely that the lender would have to produce the original signed document to prove they had an agreement with the consumer to start with. If the lender can’t prove the existence of the agreement, winning any court case would prove difficult.

Approved By the Minister and signed in His presence

Pp Ian Mc Cartney

Maybe you could quote sections of it to Monument.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Application / Licence Details

Licence Number:0597542

Licence Status:Current

Current Applicant / Licensee:

Business NameCompany Registration NumberCompuCredit UK Limited6032187

Categories:

Consumer credit Consumer hire Credit brokerage Credit reference agency Debt administration Debt collecting Provision of debt-adjusting on a commercial basis Provision of debt-counselling on a commercial basis

Right To Canvass Off Trade Premises:Yes

Trading Name(s) (Current):

Card Services Cardholder Services Cash Loan Team Monument Monument Card Services Portland Collection Services Portland House Universal Cash Advance

Issued Date: 18-Feb-2007

Expiry Date: 17-Feb-2012

Legal Formation:

Body Corporate (incorporated inside UK)

Current Individuals that run the organisation:

NamePositionAndrew Arther Yates Daniel Gerhard Dierker Jeffrey Alan Howard William Raymond McCameyOFFICER

Nature of Business:

Investment/Financial Advisers

Current Address(es):

Address TypeAddressCorrespondence5, Concourse Parkway, Suite 400, ATLANTA, Georgia, Fulton, 30328, United StatesPrincipal Place Of BusinessThe Portland Building, 25, High Street, CRAWLEY, West Sussex, RH10 1BG, United KingdomRegistered Office150, Aldersgate Street, LONDON, EC1A 4EU, United Kingdom

Historic Address(es):

Address TypeAddressCorrespondence5, Concourse Parkway,Suite 400, Atlanta Georgia, Fulton, 30328, United States of AmericaCorrespondence6th Floor 245, Perimeter Centre Parkway, Atlanta, Georgia, Dekalb, 30346, U.S.ACorrespondence6th Floor, 245, Perimeter Centre Parkway , Atlanta, Dekalb, 30346, USACorrespondenceFive, Concourse Parkway, Suite 400, Atlanta, Georgia, Fulton, 30328, United States of AmericaPrincipal Place Of BusinessPortland Building, 25, High Street, CRAWLEY, West Sussex, RH10 1BG, United KingdomPrincipal Place Of BusinessThe Portland Building, 25, High Street, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1BGPrincipal Place Of BusinessThe Portland Building, 25, High Street, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1BG, United KingdomRegistered Office1, Bishops Square, London, E1 6AD, United KingdomRegistered Office1, Bishops Square, London, E1 6AORegistered Office150, Aldersgate Street, LONDON, EC1A 4EJ, United KingdomRegistered Office150, Aldersgate Street, LONDON, EC1A 4EL, United KingdomRegistered OfficeOne, Bishops Square, London, E1 6AO