• Tweets

• old and new threads merged i though you were going to send the SB letter in 2017? dx  
    • dunno you've not scanned up what you've had before how can we tell?  
    • Today , after a lot of years i received a letter from this lot. Very friendly, "Were writing to remind you that we haven't had any contact from you in a while".  The velvet fist, followed by  a veiled threat to get their preferred debt collectors involved. Yep dead right. In 1992/3 I took out a Student load under duress from DHSS. up to 2000 I had successfully gotten deferment on low income. But rather than sign on as unemployed ,I decided to be self employed. I applied and they asked for all sorts of documents. I obliged and then correspondence ceased from them, circa 2001. To date I have had no correspondence from Student Loans. I was made redundant in 2009 and reached 65 in 2012 , at which age the loan should have been cancelled. Now , today, 12 years on retirement and 11 ( at least years after last contact) I get a letter with veiled threats. Do I , as I smell a scam a) ignore it and hope that Erudio will think that this phishing attempt has failed or b) respond with a statute barred letter or c) remind them of legal terms that loan should be cancelled 12 years ago or d) combination of b) +c)      
    • But I'm not mixing and matching. Sure, when researching I do check multiple avenues, but when speaking, I will open a single post. The Fb post was made in March, it is now June, time has passed, and when the suggestion was made, no further information was given on how I should progress beyond "send a letter", which has meant that I've needed to start another stream - this one, but only after taking the time to research first.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

cupcake68 Vs Hsbc

cupcake68
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

We cca'd HSBC on 19th March, we have had no cca but we did receive a letter saying they couldn't send because we hadn't signed the letter. I sent this reply

Thank you for your letter dated 26/03/2009 the contents of which are noted

In your letter you make reference to requiring my signed authorisation /specimen signature before you comply. I draw your attention to the fact that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does not require that I supply you a copy of my signature before you comply with my S77/78 request.

If it is for Data Protection purposes then I can happily supply you with documentation to substantiate my identity to you.

However please note that to date you have happily sent statements and correspondence containing extensive sensitive private information to my address. I have to ask if you are concerned that you are corresponding with the correct person why has it taken so long to raise this?

As you are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

My request for a true copy of my credit agreement under section 77/78 was made on 19/03/2009 and the 12 working days for your compliance expire on 08/04/2008. I note that there is no provision that removes the requirements of the act to provide this information on time, even if you are unsure of my identity.

I am returning the postal order made payable to yourselves for £1 to cover the cost of this request.

I look forward to receiving the documentation requested.

We received this reply on Thursday AC HSBC pictures by cupcake62 - Photobucket

Can you please give me some advise?

Should I send a letter stating the account is in dispute because they have not complied with my request or should I reply to this leter? If so what should I say next?

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rubyrose

This is the account in dispute letter

Account In Dispute

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your perusal and ease of reference.

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE**.(12+2 days after you sent the CCA request)

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore;

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation. This limit has expired

As you are no doubt aware section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested. Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS. Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data. It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends. Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit. You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint. I therefore request a copy of your official complaints procedure which you are obliged to supply.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully,

Print name do not sign

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Esile

• 1 month later...

Cupcake, are you referring to a CCA request or a SAR? The letter received Thursday from HSBC looks more like a response to SAR in which case your response would be different to the one above.

They can close the account before issueing a default notice, but if they do, then they are unlawfully rescinding the contract adn would have no lawful claim to any of the sums owed under the agreement. Read the post about a dodgy DN here (dodgy is the same as not getting one) http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/170345-tale-dodgy-dn.html and have a read of this one http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/171374-bank-scotland-terminated-without.html

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

Thanks DJ

Can I just ask another question that has come to mind?

What if they say they have sent a DN? They do not send it recorded delivery, they could make one up and put it in their file and produce it when they needed it. It would be our word against theirs. Sorry for appearing mistrusting of these institutions!!!

CC68

Don't mention the lack of DN to them. Did you mention it in your SAR? If you did, then you should get a copy in your reply or there will be a log entry on their computer system showing when the DN was generated / posted out? Lastly, if it gets to that, you can request proof of postage.

HSBC closed my account and then issued the DN. They have since confirmed on numerous occasions that the account is closed. Just waiting for the SAR to get back and them to sell the account. In the meantime, I am claiming my charges back.

• Haha 1

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

Thanks!

I CCA'd them in March and they reufsed to send until I signed the letter, I refused to sign so have not had anything back. I sent the acc in dispute letter and have made no payments since.

CC68

Thanks!

I CCA'd them in March and they reufsed to send until I signed the letter, I refused to sign so have not had anything back. I sent the acc in dispute letter and have made no payments since.

CC68

You are doing it the right way, so long as they dont contact you, then leave them alone.

Edited by blueda
Typing error

• 2 weeks later...

OK!

So the last kletter requesting payment clearly said "as your account is now closed"

Today I have received a DN (?!)

I am pretty sure it is defective because although dated 5th June it did not arrive until today and they are insisting on payment by 19th june. Therefore not allowing for postage.

SO can they close the account then re open to send a DN or have the shot themselves in the foot big time?

CC68

Hi Cupcake.

Here's my thread on HSBC http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/198398-dinkjames-hsbc-credit-card.html

As the 5th was a Friday, your letter was probably posted on Monday arriving today. They should then give you 14 days to rectify the breach. As they have not done this, the DN is ineffective.

You should get a monthly letter from them now. Each letter has a paragraph specifically stating that the account is closed.

As I understand it from reading the forums, they cannot issue a default notice on a closed account. The default notice refers to the agreement, but as the agreement is terminated it cannot be referred to.

The difficulty is getting actual confirmation that the agreement is terminated. I based that on the content of their letter, which is quite clear.

I do have HSBC on a few grounds though.

• Account terminated before DN issued.
  • DN does not allow for 14 days to remedy.
  • Amount on the DN includes bank charges and interest thus rendering it invalid.
  • They used their right to offset, which has more than cleared the DN amount. They actually offset the full balance in breach of the guidelines regarding offset.

Edited by Dinkjames
incorrect info

Can I just ask you one more question?

You mention HSBC DN includes bank charges and interest.

Is this charges and interest added to your credit card account after the account was put in dispute?

This is a new twist I was not aware of!

Thanks

CC68

My understanding is that the arrears amount on the DN has to be accurate for the DN to be effective. If however, the account has a large number of unfair charges on it (plus the interest on the charges), then the arrear amount cannot be correct as part of the arrears is made up of unlawful charges. In my case, 80% of the arrears amount was due to charges and interest in the lead up to the DN.

It is, though, only one string in my bow against HSBC. My primary string is that they terminated the account before the DN was served, thus the rest of my arguments are mute anyway, as the first one will stand up.

I have a personal bank account with HSBC and an agreed overdraft.

I have just received my statement and BT took an amount out without notifying me which took me £35 over my agreed overdraft.

HSBC have charged another £25 fee for this does that seem fair?

Thanks

CC68

Hi , welcome to the forum :)

If this is the only time you have been subject to these unfair charges, it may be worthwhile asking your bank to refund them - the local manager has authority to do this and if it's a one-off they've been known to refund .

Another option could be to ask BT to refund as it was their un-notified charge which took you over the limit in the first place ......

Failing that , follow PGH's very good advice and read up on how to reclaim - you may have other charges going back 6 years that are reclaimable .......... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D