• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shakespeare62 - v - a NastyBank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was agreeing with dp77's post.

Other DD, that would be a good idea (unless of course they offer Shakey a six figure sum in which case he should go for it!)

Daniella xx

well within the bounds of possibilities that they will offer a settlement together with a gagging order

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have amended DADs post as follows

As we know some firms have been arguing that by LiP’s discussing their claims on the internet they have prejudiced their case.

However as we know as the costs of litigation are beyond most consumers means they simply have no alternative but to seek advice in this way. Therefore it may be that this advice, though in the public domain, may still be privileged & firms should not seek to ID such litigants

The legal requirements for claiming litigation privilege are well established and are not in dispute. Communications between a solicitor or the client and a third party will be protected by litigation privilege where the communications are for the dominant purpose of obtaining legal advice in connection with, or conducting, litigation reasonably in prospect: Re Highgate Traders Limited [1984] BCLC 151.

Therefore it is possible that for the opposition to try & use statements from a specific thread to advance their arguments at trial might amount to not only a breach of the DPA but also a breach of the professional codes of conduct.

whereas of course restons letters published on the internet- admitting the defective nature of DN's prevented enforcement i presume are not priveleged information and MAY be shown to another court in which they disingenuously attempt to argue the opposite case!!

the barrister is legally obliged to put the clients case and if the client tells the barrister that their case is true the barrister is protected.

it's a bit like the old tale where howard hughes was asked his definition of a good accountant

after some thought he replied

a good accountant is a guy who, when asked what 2+2 equals?

should reply...

what figure do you have in mind!

A barrister attending court, and charging in excess of £225 per hour, for a hearing to rule on an authenticity test surely has a clear duty to be sure the document in question is authentic.

"But he said it was!!!" is hardly a credible argument in this instance, should the document prove to be less than kosher. You would hope that any Barrister would have to provide a very, very good reason for lying to a Judge in court.

the barrister does not have to prove every statement her client makes- the only way in which she would be implicit is if she coached or encouraged her client to make a false statement

what you are suggesting is that a barrister must conduct a trial before a trial to ensure that the evidence she is being given by her client is true-

what of a barrister defending in a murder trial- must she ensure her client's innocence herself before she can represent her client?

The present situation is that the court has agreed to have the document forensically examined as to it's authenticity therefore there are now three possible next steps-

1/ the agreement is not a forgery and the trial will proceed- both sides being confident in their respective positions

2/ the creditor initially believed, but is now not certain (for whatever reason) if the agreement is bona fide- given that the defendant has gone to the lengths of instructing the expert witness

3/ the creditor knows full well that the agreement is not bona fide

the consequence of 1/- will be that the judge will find one way or the other according to the expert witness and will hold that both sides acted in the honest beleif that they were right

in the case of 2/ and 3/ the creditor will use one of various get out of jail cards and ensure that the matter is never ruled upon

in either event, the question of someone getting their knuckles rapped be it barrister or claimant will not arise - if it does i will show my proverbial *** in burtons window

Edited by diddydicky

I wasn't arguing you were wrong but that your friendly barrister was. If an officer of the court thinks a document might not be what is claimed then they should state otherwise

being able to prove what the officer of the court was "thinking" being a not inconsiderable obstacle to surmount!!;)

Hi JonCris,

I am in agreement with you on this matter of barrister ethics. I have spoken with an elderly aquaintance now retired from being active at the Bar. There is some real concern in some senior circles about the public's perception of the integrity and ethics of some of these money grubbing people representing banks and the like.

I mentioned this case in conversation and it is known and concern is being expressed behind closed doors. Barristers cannot under their code of conduct hide behind client instructions as many have claimed on here. Yes it is done but if they believe that the client is lying or that they have evidence of such or that the balance of probablility suggests that then they DO have an obligation to inform the court of such knowledge.

A few years ago this would not even be up for discussion would it? Barristers could be trusted to have some integrity and withdraw if such was the conflict. Now like ministers they hang on for grim death and to hell with truth and integrity.

regards

oilyrag.:)

with the greatest of respect to your elderly retired barrister- i do not agree

it has always been thus- indeed i would say it is harder now, with more freedom of information and knowldge on the part of the man in the street, for lawyers to get away with their cosy little cartels than it has ever been

many a case i suspect has been "done and dusted" between opposing counsel in the smoke filled gentlemens clubs around the inns of justice of an evening and out of sight of prying eyes.

But unfortunately if they said it is an original and she, not being a forensic expert, actually believed that it is the original, then she can't knowingly be deceiving the court. As we know, many caggers have been presented with an "original" in court and the judge sides with the bank and accepts it as such, so if judges look at reconstructed "originals" and believe that they are genuine, this barrister can have the same argument - she believed when she first went to court it was genuine. If she had doubts and raised them with Amex who insisted the document was the genuine original document she has "been instructed" as ODC says, and that is any barrister's "Get Out of Jail Free" card, for want of a better expression.

The very fact that she has gone back saying that she has now been instructed that "it might be a reconstruction" again lets her off the hook.

We might not like it but she is protected.

DD

quite right namesake- if a barrister could not represent a client because they thought that a" trial within a trial" might take place as to what the barristers thought processes are- then the law would get nowhere. the barrister would put forward no arguments of contention whatsoever

and as you rightly say- why would they need a forensic expert- surely the person who is so skilled as to be able to pronounce what the defendants barrister is thinking- ought to be able also to determine what the claimant is thinking and if the document is a fake!!-

:rolleyes:

i think you will find that 99% of the time 99% of lawyers stay just inside that fine white line, and occasionally tread on it- without serious consequences,

Unlike yesteryear when court proceedings where recorded by hand - and in the process quite often well abbreviated and parts missed (stenographers)

in the modern day those concerned are clearly aware that every word and every nuance can be caught on tape and know exactly where that fine white line is.

shaky

Reference your post #838. You do know that Amex have now changed their wording on their DN's slightly dont you? They now say something like 14 days from receipt of the DN, rather than 14 days from the date of the DN. Presumably their argument will then be that they do not terminate for several weeks, so the debtor must have had plenty of time to rectify the breach.

Why would they do that if their original ones were kosher?

Alan

but since the act states that they MUST specify A DATE i think that they would get short shrift on that score

the effect of "letting that go" would be to reduce the Dn to no more than a "circular"

I agree diddyd, but if that is the only problem with the DN, I can imagine that the invalid argument would be rejected by many DJ's.

Alan

i disaagree

the act states that a creditor MUST specify a date

the court has no power to re write the legislation or to regard it as de minimus

in fact i believe that soon a judge at appeal may well clarify this situation

if the creditor wishes to change the terminology to "within XX days " of receipt of the DN- what does he mean by "receipt"- receipt at the address where the debtor lives?, (and from which he may be away on business or on holiday) receipt by someone else signing for the letter from the postman but not giving it to the debtor?

the prescribed terminology and the manner in which the DN is set out has ALREADY taken care of all these variables- the creditor is obliged to use the prescribed terminology- not make up his own otherwise the DN is fault as it is not as prescribed

well the nice thing is that if local district judges make the mistake - it allows more caggers to take it to appeal and that is REALLY where we want it to be decided.

some of these judges rely on debtors not taking it any further but more and more are now emboldened to do just that

Exactly what has happened here. The OP got royally shafted in the original hearing, I think the DJ even asked the claimant's solicitor for his business card!

However the Judge hearing the appeal appears a little more learned.

yes i followed that case- absolutely attrocious behavior

peeps are getting too bogged down in trying to re write not the cca but the entire legal system .

get over it- the same counsel that put their clients cases forward with such veracity then do exactly the same for some defendants

get off your moral high horses and have a walk around in the real world

maybe so because of late timing even if it is a concocted if it looks anything different from the copy shake has,i think shake should post his copy to the EX witness and see if they have changed the format...this will show that their is more to this than meets the eye,then they can be called for malicious time wasting etc

if they concocted a new document the evidence of the print being only recent will stand out like a sore thumb

as they say ooo north

i think they have had it any road up chuck

teh consequences of not handing it over- the judge having ordered it would be just as dire....... they were boxed into a corner

they will be busy right now concocting and polishing up their "we didn't know it was a reconstruction guv- honest " arguments

The other point this discussion begs is how original does an original have to be?

We're interpreting it as physically the same piece of paper that was signed when the credit was granted. We also know that it's very rare for banks to keep these documents, instead they scan them and archive them digitally (or at least, they did!). The Student Loans Company is the one organisation I've come across who can reliably track down and produce a physical original if they have to.

Assuming the bank haven't had a stroke of incredible luck and actually been able to find the original piece of paper, the best they are likely to have is a print-out of a scan. Is it possible that could be accepted as "original" by a court if it's accompanied by, say, a sworn statement from the company records manager?

i think you are missing the point ( its a long thread and you need to read well back)

the claimant made a statement to the court that after undertaking exhaustive searches of their off site storage facilities , and that at the eleventh hour they found the ORIGINAL SIGNED AGREEMENT and made declarations to the court to this end.

they therefore cannot now claim that this is a reconstruction since they have committed themselves

ahhhhhhhhhh- the $64,000 dollar question?

if only i knew!!

the "original" agreement "should" be produced to the court- and thereby lies the tale

if only it had said "must"

getting the judge to issue directions that the original agreement must be brought to the court is a good idea- then the creditor HAS to do what the directions say and not what they think

accepted - but in the case of production of the agreement in support of a claim in court the word "should" is used (which is very different from "shall" or "must")

thus , if a DN contained the phrase "should contain" i suspect he could not have made the same observation as the two words although similar have very different meanings

I am let down by not having any english qualifications but the use of the word is in a different context

for example

you should wear a raincoat is an advisory statement

you shall wear a raincoat is a mandatory statement

You should produce the agreement to the court implies a request- a desirable situation

you shall produce the agreement to the court is an order

since shall can easily be identified with must- since both are commands it is easy to see why a judge would rule them the same

he could not make the same case for the similarity of the words should and must in this situation (IMO)

despite my lack of qualifications- i know the difference:)