Barclays removed 30,000 Pounds from our account!!!!!!

alice12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We’ve had a business account with Barclays for 2.5 years. 10 days ago they sent us a letter saying that our account will be closed. When we asked for explanation they only responded that this is commercial decision and refused to provide us any more information.

However 2 days ago Barclays Bank removed 30,000 Pounds from our account with reference “referral c f (p) adv”. We immediately started calling them, filed a complaint and were constantly chasing them. Apparently our relationship manager is on long-term sick leave and her boss is on holidays, therefore “no one else at Barclays could help us” (quoting one of the customer services advisors). We spent hours on the phones; they’ve been sending us to different departments (in each one we had to authenticate ourselves). Their customer services people were very rude and arrogant and refusing to help whatsoever.

We tried very hard to get reasons out of them. Different Barclay’s customer services advisors provided us different information, including:

Potential fraud

Investigation on the account

Result of our account closing (which is scheduled to take place in 3 weeks only)

Decision made by head office

Mistake in their system

Initially we’ve been promised to get a response within 48 hours, but still lady from complaints department we are talking to, has no information. Even though we are saying to them we have no money to pay salaries – they just say they can not do anything.

We are planning to visit our branch and then (if no one is there) go to head office on Canary Wharf. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If nothing is resolved by tomorrow afternoon, we are contacting Financial Ombudsman and Financial Services Authority.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Alice

Hi Alice and welcome to CAG.

Insist on speaker to a manager at your branch, or the most senior member available. Remain polite (or they'll have you kicked out), don't be fobbed off and suggest you'll call the police to the premises because of the size and nature of this withdrawal.

Do you have other a/c's with B's, current a/c, loan a/c or anything else which you think could give rise to them withholding such a sum.

A couple of years back, I'd never have believed that such a thing could happen without a reasonable and obvious explanation. Sadly, we see cases like this all to often where the bank will act as if they are answerable to no-one.

The FOS would be the one to approach but they act sooo slowly. May be worth calling them tomorrow to see if they will agree, in principal, to look into this. You can then honestly tell the bank you've approached the FOS with a view to making a Formal, and urgent, complaint.

It's truly astonishing that such a decision can be made, presumably from above, but no-one has the balls to seek or give a reason.

I assume you are making urgent arrangements to seek banking facilities elsewhere.

I'll flag this up to see if others on the Site Team have anything to add.

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I think this is awful and the way you have been treated is incredibly appalling, I would write a strong letter to the Chairman of Barclays (recorded) querying the way that you have been treated, (did they give you any notice ? is it apparent that the £30,000 they have taken out is to service another 'debt/account' ? Please go and see your MP too and an official complaint to the FOS and the OFT.....The National newspapers would probably be interested in this story too...

Thank you for your responses. We had no loan or overdraft - just cash on our account :)

We'll go now to the branch and I'll keep you all updated.

Thank you for the support, hopefully we can sort it out today.

Alice

Are you sole traders or a limited company??

I know they can offset (Lloyds repeatedly tell me so...such a shame I only have £1 in my savings with them!!)...but they should still tell you if they plan to do this. Are you 100% certain that you don't have any personal accounts/loans/credit cards or debts with them or any of their sister companies??

If not, then you should also consider the potential of identity theft and/or mistaken identity. They can't just make £30k disappear, it has to have been transferred somewhere, even if it is into their corporate hospitality fund!!:p

Let us know how you get on when you visit the branch.

Good luck Alice...

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Hi Alice and delighted to hear this.

That's some operational mistake ! :eek:

Have you discussed with B's the question of compensation for your lost time, out of pocket expenses and anxiety caused by their error.

Does this mean the a/c closure was also an error, or will they still withdraw your facilities with no proper explanation.

:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

:eek: Operational Mistake !!! I'f you hadn't had said anything....what would they have done ? Are they trying to grab peoples money, wipe it off their accounts in the hope it won't be spotted.. and then if it is questioned they give it back !!!??? i'd still write to the Chairman of Barclays....

As 42man states, please do write to Barclays chairman.

You should outline the amount of time and expense you have gone to to get their mistake resolved as well as the anxiety and distress this matter has caused you e.g. not have money for employees wages, being passed from pillar to post, the rudeness and arrogance of their customer service staff, etc.

At the very least they should offer you some sort of financial compensation, not to mention an apology.

Send any correspondence recorded delivery.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We are definitely not leaving this case as it is - we'll contact FSA, Financial Ombudsman and etc including their chairman.

My husband believes they were checking us for money laundering, that’s is why they were not able to say anything.

Thanks alot everyone, your support meant a lot to me :)

Alice

We’ve had a business account with Barclays for 2.5 years. 10 days ago they sent us a letter saying that our account will be closed. When we asked for explanation they only responded that this is commercial decision and refused to provide us any more information.

However 2 days ago Barclays Bank removed 30,000 Pounds from our account with reference “referral c f (p) adv”. We immediately started calling them, filed a complaint and were constantly chasing them. Apparently our relationship manager is on long-term sick leave and her boss is on holidays, therefore “no one else at Barclays could help us” (quoting one of the customer services advisors). We spent hours on the phones; they’ve been sending us to different departments (in each one we had to authenticate ourselves). Their customer services people were very rude and arrogant and refusing to help whatsoever.

We tried very hard to get reasons out of them. Different Barclay’s customer services advisors provided us different information, including:

Potential fraud

Investigation on the account

Result of our account closing (which is scheduled to take place in 3 weeks only)

Decision made by head office

Mistake in their system

Initially we’ve been promised to get a response within 48 hours, but still lady from complaints department we are talking to, has no information. Even though we are saying to them we have no money to pay salaries – they just say they can not do anything.

We are planning to visit our branch and then (if no one is there) go to head office on Canary Wharf. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If nothing is resolved by tomorrow afternoon, we are contacting Financial Ombudsman and Financial Services Authority.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Alice

Alice I cannot believe what is happening to you but by reading the various submissions on Barclays and pattern of behaviour of their managerial staff, who seem to conveniently disappear when needed should form part of the evidence.

What were the terms of your agreement with them . Did you sign any guarantees. Were you given any notice?

Were you moving to another bank, was the move to another bank cover any ourstanding debts , did they think you were going to act frudulently by the fact that you were closing the account and moving eleswhere and leaving them with a debt? Did you owe them £30,000 and what payments plans did you have in place to pay this debt and did you inform them of this? Who in head office made the decision? It might be interesting to know if the same name/s crop/s up each time

Check the agreements you have with them and the terms

I think a letter explaining some of these points which makes their decision unfounded may be helpful :(

Do you have an update yet?

Have you got any answers yet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:)Surely life can't get any worse it has to only get better from hear on out:)

LTSB- My claim like thousands of others is Stayed

Cap 1-See my tread about that one

Barclaycard- Won before court stage

GE capital -2 accounts and LTSB card letter asking for refund stage (Waiting for out come of the above to carry on with these ones )

Sars sent for all my mums accounts

About to start PPI claims on My Mums accounts

exit3

The thing is that we do not owe anything - these were our money and they have taken them.

Anyway, I am sick and tired of it now, so we'll just move on and try to forget about this :)

Thank you guys for all your support

Hi Alice,

Yes, I hope you can move on from here and get back to normal, whatever that may be. ;)

Please let us know if there's anything further to report. :)