Offer to Settle After 1st Letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This is my 1st time in the Halifax room. I'm helping friends of ours claim back over £1,300 from the Halifax & they have received a settlement offer of just £100 less than the requested refund amount in response to the prelim request for refund letter. I'm a bit stunned as my own wranglings with Yorkshire Bank & Abbey pus a claim I'm persuing for other friends with the Yorkshire Building Society have reached the court phase. Is it normal for Halifax to want to settle so quickly?

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Thats a pretty good deal for a change.

Most people are offered something stupid at this early stage (mine was £30 from a £400 claim)

However I would keep going for the full amount and if it ever gets as far as court then you can then claim the 8% intrest.

I've tried persuading them to keep going (even used the "if someone stole your 3 piece suite & only offered you the 2 chairs back would you think it a good deal & accept it" argument) but I think they'll settle. The thought of court scares them to death plus there's the £1,200 for sending one letter issue which they think is a fantastic deal.

Looking at the whole picture though I'm wondering if Halifax are loosing some of their fight & accepted it's cheaper for them in the long run to offer decent settlements (that stand a chance of being accepted) than to go through the expense of court cases being raised against them.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

That's a great piece of news. Let's hope it really is sense creeping in - after some of the antics I have witnessed, I can't be too sure, but on the whole I have always believed that the Halifax were slightly easier to deal with than the norm.

I bet your friends are pretty chuffed!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.