What next

eggy12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Im a self-employed plasterer and am out of work and will be for some time. Im a home owner aged 40 and live on my own.

Ive started the process of claiming JSA and have done the application and have a face to face interview tommorow. Im 1 month behind on 1st and second motgage, owe on just about all my bills, owe about 5 months insurance contributions and owe around £1600 in tax, will any of this stop me recieving benifits ?

Also how long would i have to be on JSA to qualify for free home insulation, the reason i ask is if i can manage to keep my home it will cut down on fuel bills and if it has to be sold/repossesed it will add extra value.

I have 1 child of 14 who visits 2-3 times a week staying most weekends but i do not have residential custody !

All advice would be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Self employed people have a tough time claiming JSA and if you have not made enough contributions, chances are that you will not qualify for it to be honest.

What do you mean about receiving free home insulation? Never heard of that one before.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

ok just got back and im now a statistic..

Im going onto income based jsa. Ive 13 weeks to find work in my own trade or anything else then its a matter of them getting more involved in what job i get !!

Ive also found out that it is 13 weeks before i get help with mortgage and if im right then they only pay 1.58% above bank of england rate for interest payments.

I should also not have to pay C/Tax now and as for seeing if i can get free wall and loft insulation, well thats next on my list !

I give myself at this stage 4 months before i lose the house as i will be 2 months behind on mortgage on the 5th with a court order giving mortgage company the right to start repo procedings again after it got adjurned last time after i caught up !!

Do you mean the warm front grant? If that's what you mean, you don't automatically qualify if you are in reciept of just any benefit. There are other criteria which has to be satisfied.

Firstly, you can only get it if you own your home or rent privately. I see you own your home so that's the first part of the criteria fulfilled.

If JSA is the only benefit you or your partner receive, you must also be either aged over 60, have a child living in the household that is aged under 16 or be expecting a baby. If you are not aged over 60, have a child living with you that is aged under 16 or expecting a baby, you will not qualify on Jobseekers Allowance alone. You would need to be recieving a benefit that INCLUDES a disability premium or be receiving Child Tax Credit with an income of less than £15460.00 per annum.

There is an option for £300 rebate for those not on benefits but this only applies if you are aged over 60.

You can find information on it here: Warm Front Energy Efficiency Grants

There is also an option to apply online. Best wishes.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)