• Tweets

• there is NO exposure if you simple remove your name address/ref numbers etc from docs, over 10'000 pdf uploads are here. which then harvests IP addresses off of the people that then do so..which is why we do not allow hosting sites. read our rules and upload carefully thats exactly why we say capture as JPG, redact, then convert/merge to one mass PDF. then online sites to achieve that we list do not leave watermarks.  every once in a while we have a user like you that thinks they know better...we've been doing it since 2006 with not one security issue. thank you.
    • was at the time you ticked it  but now they've still not complied . if you read up, here , you'll see thats what everyone does,  
    • no they never allow the age related get out, erudio are masters at faking supposed 'arrears' fees which were levied before said date and thus null its write off. 1000's of threads here on them!! scammers untied that lot. i can almost guarantee they'll state it's not SB'd too re above, but just ignore them once sent. dx    
    • DX, worth mentioning? I take it that you refer to after ,65 loan is written off clause. I thought that after the problems I had at deferment (/no proof of income satisfied them, and I could not afford an accountant) after they stopped pestering that they had decided that the age related clause  had kicked in. As I said, its time to hit back with SB letter.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bryan Carter CCJ can anyone help??

vikki75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I recieved a claim form for Northampton cc regarding a joint account that my husband and I held with Nationwide. This account was overdrawn because of various bank charges that they took out because direct debits were occasionally going out earlier than agreed and we did not have the funds in to cover them. We sent Nationwide all the required letters asking for the charges to be refunded but it never went to court due to the case with the FSO and the waiver that the banks recieved regarding the unfair charges.

We never recieved any letters from Nationwide or any DCA until this claim form dated 26th Nov.

The Particulars of the claim are as follows:

The claimant's claim is for the balance due under an agreement which is now all due and payable.

The defendant agreed to pay monthly instalments under account number ************** but has failed to do so.

This statement is untrue and we never set up any agreement with either Nationwide or Bryan Carter. My husband phoned BC today and was told that they did not have a copy of the agreement on file and they had not been provided with a copy of the agreement by the client who claims to have this agreement. In the telephone conversation today BC claim's to have sent us several letters dating back to July all were supposedly sent to our present address and the only documents that reached us were the claim forms recieved today. When I asked if they would send me copies of these letters they refused to do so and told me they would only be provided if the case goes to court.

Obviously we are going to defend the claim on the basis of this is unfair and untrue and was just wondering if there is anyone who can help me out with what to put as this is my first time filing a defence.

After reading through posts on here I'm planning on sending BC a CPR request and then see where that gets us.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get plenty of help with this as Carter is not exactly loved in these parts. If you haven't seen it yet, have a look at ODC's new avatar.

Firstly, you have done EXACTLY the right thing in posting this up now, rather than waiting until the last minute, or even until it is too late, as so many before you have done.

When I asked if they would send me copies of these letters they refused to do so and told me they would only be provided if the case goes to court.

Well where else are they thinking of taking it, the planet Neptune? Extraordinary behaviour, but so typical of Carter and his like.

It won't be an easy defence to compile, as it is a rather more complicated case than the usual credit card account with no enforceable agreement. Nevertheless, with time on your side, we will compile it effectively and in good time.

Get ready to file Acknowledgment of Service to give you more time, and then, as you say, make a request under the Civil Procedure Rules.

Is what you have posted here the full Particulars of Claim?

SH

If the statement made by Carters is untrue they should be challenged to prove it - the exact term I think is "put to strict proof". If they claim it was made in writing then the note has to be produced, if a phone call then a recording and so on. Challenging this particular company usually sees them running for the hills.

You should also challenge Nationwide as to the status of this account and ask them why they have engaged this particular company. Remind them that they are responsible for the action of their agents and that if a complaint is made as a result of Carters incorrect claims then they will be included in that complaint.

It also seems to me that Nationwide should be taken to task for passing this account onto collectors when it was already subject to action for the recovery of unfair charges. I'd start shouting and screaming in the direction of Nationwide and threatening to bring in the watchdogs - television variety!

Edited by NailPost
typo

Hi, Nationwide are listed as the claimant. The Particulars of the claim word for word are as follows.

The claimant's claim is for the balance due under an agreement which is now all due and payable.

The defendant agreed to pay monthly instalments under account number ************** but has failed to do so.

And the claimant claims the sum of £300.22.

The claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to s.69 county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to £8.56..

Hope this makes more sense to you then it does to me, my head is battered with it all :(

Right, the first step is to request information under the Civil Procedure Rules.

Under CPR 31.14, you can request copies of any document listed in the Particulars of Claim. Here, that is just one document - the agreement.

Under CPR 18, you can make a far more comprehensive request.

Although the agreement forms part of the request under Part 18, I would still make both requests separately. The Part 18 request is often only partially complied with, and in the case of the Part 31.14 request, you are just requesting one crucially important document, so they either have to comply fully or totally ignore the request.

I will post the letters next.

SH

CPR 31.14 letter -

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of the document mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

The agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document I have requested is copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the document I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SH

CPR 18 letter -

In the XXXX County Court

Claimant -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

Dear XXX

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION CPR 18

I have received a recent court claim from your organisation. In order to file a defence and counter claim I require some information. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 18 duties by claiming otherwise.

The information must be furnished within fourteen days of the receipt of this letter. If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

1.1 If copies of any of the above documents are to be relied on in court rather than originals, a copy of the Notice of proposal to adduce hearsay evidence required under s2(1) of the Civil Evidence Act 1995 together with proof of the authenticity of the document(s) as required under s8(1)(b) of the Act, including but not limited to:

(a) a copy of the procedure(s) used for copying, storing and retrieving documents

(b) a copy of the relevant log entry showing the time and date of the scan or copy, the name of the member of staff making the copy, the method used for copying, storage and retrieval and time and date of destruction of the original document(s)

© copies of internal and external audit reports covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedures have been complied with

(d) copies of Quality Assurance accreditation certificates covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedure(s) and audit process(es) comply with the appropriate quality standards

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

b. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with *********.(AMEND TO THE COMPANY NAME)

c. .Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

d. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

e. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

f. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

g. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

h. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

I will require this information within the next fourteen days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX (type, don't sign).

SH

These need to be sent to Carter and not to Nationwide, if Carter's name is listed in the second box down, the one which says "Address for sending documents and payments (if different)."

Send them Special Delivery as Carter never seems to sign for recorded delivery items. DO NOT SIGN THE LETTERS. If you are printing your letter, you can use a digital signature that is nothing like your own.

One other vital question - is £300.22 the amount that the overdrawn account would have had as its balance, roughly? Or is it much lower?

SH

Thank you so much for the letters I will get them posted at the weekend. As for the balance with Nationwide I think it was more in the £200 mark but has had various things added to it. I cant be 100% sure on that one though as the original letters we sent have been lost on our comp :(.

Hi, you need to go online and acknowledge service, using the password on the front of the claim form tick defend all of the claim, and print off the receipt when prompted.

Then file this as your defence, again online,

Defence

Ixxxxxxxxxxxxxxx make this statement as my defence to the claim brought by xxxxxxxxxxxx

1.The claimants particulars of claim are vague and fail to disclose any cause of action, they appear to be an abuse of the process in that they fail to deal with the basic rules of pleading in accordance with the CPR

2.No documents supporting the claims in the particulars have been offered which the defendant needs to establish what agreement it is that this action is based upon

3.Without clarification of the claimants claim, the defendant is extremely disadvantaged and the claimants claim appears without merit

4.Further to above the defendant is unable to plead effectively or at all. The defendant is embarrassed.

Then, send this to Carters recorded, keep the receipt,

' Herewith copy defence by way of service, the same having been filed with the court.

Please serve amended particulars of claim and plead yor clients case in an appropriate manner within 7 days, so that I am aware of the case I will have to meet at trial. I request that you attach to the particulars a copy of the agreement and Default Notice upon which the claimant relies. The matter will be transferred to my home court and the claimant will have to produce the document, in any event. In those circumstances you should plead in accordance with the CPR.

Failure to provide that requested in the time period provided for will result in application to the court. I confirm a copy of this letter will be produced to the court when the question of costs falls to be decided'.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

You could to save the postage but I'd sent it special delivery as well. When Carters get flooded with your mail they won't know how to handle it. They may even seek legal advice! In all probability they will discontinue. That's the time to hit them for a claim for your costs - all the special devlivery postage plus your time in reasearching and preparing. If Carters refuses to pay up you could start a claim against the company.

Vikki,

How much are the charges on this account? How long have you had the account.

This may be a great way to counterclaim for the charges on the account. I have a good setoff defence espically if you have lots of charges to be refunded.

JOgs

The total balance was created by charges that the bank took out despite letters asking them not to take them out of benefits as that was all that went into the account. Do I have to pay to do a counter claim?

The total balance was created by charges that the bank took out despite letters asking them not to take them out of benefits as that was all that went into the account. Do I have to pay to do a counter claim?

Yes, you have to pay for a counterclaim, but this defense would be a setoff defense, so no charge.

What would the full total of charges on this account amount to?

Jogs

I recieved the receipt of my defence from the courts today so BC now has 28 days to reply to the court.

My letter was recieved and signed for via special delivery on the 2nd dec so he has 7 days to send me all the required documents. :)