• Tweets

• I found that the parkin attended has a car with CCTV camera on it, however as I stated earlier, it seems that he did not take video of my car otherwise they would have stated so in the SAR. parking car .pdf
    • The rules state that "approved devices may only be used in limited circumstances"  I was not a threat. I was not present. I did not drive away. I think he has not fulfilled the necessary requirements justifying issuing me a PCN by post therefore the PCN was issued incorrectly and not valid.  What are your thoughts?  
    • I have also found this:  D.2 Service of a PCN by post: 54) There are some circumstances in which a PCN (under Regulation 10) may be served by post: 1) where the contravention has been detected on the basis of evidence from an approved device (approved devices may only be used in limited circumstances) 2) if the CEO has been prevented, for example by force, threats of force, obstruction or violence, from serving the PCN either by affixing it to the vehicle or by giving it to the person who appears to be in charge of that vehicle 3) if the CEO had started to issue the PCN but did not have enough time to finish or serve it before the vehicle was driven away and would otherwise have to write off or cancel the PCN 55) In any of these circumstances a PCN is served by post to the owner and also acts as the NtO. The Secretary of State recommends that postal PCNs should be sent within 14 days of the contravention. Legislation states that postal PCNs must be sent within 28 days, unless otherwise stated in the Regulations. This from London Councils Code of Practice on Civil Parking Enforcement.  The question is what is an approved device? Certainly, he had the opportunity to place the ticket on my car and I didn't drive away.  I looked further and it seems that an approved device is a CCTV camera - It seems that the photos taken were not actual film but images and it is not clear if they are taken from a video or are stills. I'm guessing if it was moving images then the SAR would have stated this.    From the Borough of Hounslow website: "There are two types of PCN issued under the Traffic Management Act 2004, which governs parking contraventions. The first is served on-street by a Civil Enforcement Officer, who will observe a vehicle and collect evidence before serving the PCN either by placing it in a plastic wallet under the windscreen wiper, or by handing it to the driver. The second is a PCN served by post, based on CCTV footage taken by an approved device, which has been reviewed by a trained CCTV Operator."   From Legislation.gov.uk regarding approved devices: Approved Devices 4.  A device is an approved device for the purposes of these Regulations if it is of a type which has been certified by the Secretary of State as one which meets requirements specified in Schedule 1. SCHEDULE 1Specified requirements for approved devices 1.  The device must include a camera which is— (a)securely mounted on a vehicle, a building, a post or other structure, (b)mounted in such a position that vehicles in relation to which relevant road traffic contraventions are being committed can be surveyed by it, (c)connected by secure data links to a recording system, and (d)capable of producing in one or more pictures, a legible image or images of the vehicle in relation to which a relevant road traffic contravention was committed which show its registration mark and enough of its location to show the circumstances of the contravention. 2.  The device must include a recording system in which— (a)recordings are made automatically of the output from the camera or cameras surveying the vehicle and the place where a contravention is occurring, (b)there is used a secure and reliable recording method that records at a minimum rate of 5 frames per second, (c)each frame of all captured images is timed (in hours, minutes and seconds), dated and sequentially numbered automatically by means of a visual counter, and (d)where the device does not occupy a fixed location, it records the location from which it is being operated. 3.  The device and visual counter must— (a)be synchronised with a suitably independent national standard clock; and (b)be accurate within plus or minus 10 seconds over a 14-day period and re-synchronised to the suitably independent national standard clock at least once during that period. 4.  Where the device includes a facility to print a still image, that image when printed must be endorsed with the time and date when the frame was captured and its unique number. 5.  Where the device can record spoken words or other audio data simultaneously with visual images, the device must include a means of verifying that, in any recording produced by it, the sound track is correctly synchronised with the visual image.
    • Hearing took place today.  Case dismissed with costs awarded. Neither UKPC or a representative turned up.  Apparently they messaged the court on 7 May asking for their case to be considered on paper.  Never informed me, which was criticised by the judge as not following procedure.  I was really annoyed as I would have preferred for the case to be thrown out before the hearing, or at least face them in court and see them squeal.   They are just playing a numbers game and hope you blink 1st!   Ended up having to change my flight, but  the costs awarded softens the blow. Was asked to confirm it was my signature on both the witness statement and supplementary statement.  Wasn't asked to read them, said she could see my arguments made and the signs were insufficient and no contract formed. Took maybe 10 mins in total.  Judge did most of the talking and was best for me just to keep quiet or confirm any statements made. Happy to have won as a matter of principle and have costs awarded. Maybe not worth all the time and hassle for any newbies or the technologically challenged.  But if you are stubborn like me and willing to put in the time and effort, you can beat these vultures! I big shout out to everyone who helped on the thread with their advice and guidance, special mention to FTMDave, thank you sir!  Really appreciate everyone's efforts. All the best!
    • I plan to be honest to avoid any further trouble, tell them that the name should be changed to my official name
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA Problem - DCA involved

CapitalPunishmnt4Capital1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had personal problems in the last 12 months which has resulted in me having a gambling problem which I am currently seeking help over. I currently owe @ £10k on my MBNA card and due to financial hardship I have written to them with an Income and Expenditure worksheet and had offered them £200 per month. They refused this, but even this amount of money is hard for my wife and I to find. I'm basically the main wage earner as my wife looks after our children all day.

In August I contacted MBNA and made it known to them that I was having problems paying the amounts needed each month on the card, which was due to go on to a different rate in November, and that I would not be able to make these payments. I enclosed a letter dated in August that I received that outlined what the new rates would be. I rang up and explained that I was having problems and it was agreed on the phone that day, that they would lower the rates slightly- as per the letter that was sent out dated the 8th of September but did not arrive until 5th October!

Ny wife has been helping me out with this and We were both told at the time that I could go onto a fixed payment plan, whereby the interest and charges would be frozen for the duration until the outstanding balance was paid back to them. We were asked what I could afford to pay back each month and all the details of my income and expenditure, my outgoings etc were all discussed and recorded by Mr Jones. I said that I could afford no more than £200.

My estranged wife spoke to Mr Jones about the matter too, as she is better at explaining things than I am. He told her (as did I ) that he was setting up the payment plan for me and that I would receive confirmation in the post. He also confirmed this to me. He continued to say that it could not be set up without the first payment being paid, and that subsequently a direct debit would be set up and £200 claimed monthly.

Mr Jones said that £200 was required there and then to set up the payment plan, as my wife did not have £200 available in her account she went down to the branch having borrowed £200 from her dad within the hour and paid it into the account. She was told to call back later and give her card details and that the £200 would be debited from the card. Mr Jones also said that he would need to take her bank details, account number and sort code so as to set up a direct debit for the fixed payment plan. My estranged wife willingly gave him the details requested and confirmed that the interest would be frozen indefinitely and the charges stopped, she was relieved that we had some resolution on the matter.

I spoke to him also, as after discussing things with my wife she would pass the phone to me and the same information was relayed to me some hours later. My wife gave the debit card details to a customer services girl and the amount was taken from the card. Coincidently the staff member had remembered my wife initially calling previously and had remembered my wife explaining the problems, of which the staff member had advised her to get me to call in and discuss the matter in full, to explain everything and that they had fixed payment plans for people like us.

So in short, a payment plan had been set up as far as we were concerned and was just pending paperwork in the post. The money was taken instantly from the card and my wife received notification shortly after that a direct debit had been set-up. The direct debit mandate is in her name and states her bank details.

We had both been told that the letter would be in the post .After two weeks had passed by and not having received this fixed payment plan letter, (at my wife’s address as requested) my wife grew concerned and contacted MBNA. She tried on several occasions to speak with Mr Jones only to be told by MBNA staff that every other person is called Mr Jones and that it was not going to be that simple to locate which Mr Jones we had been dealing with!

After many attempts to contact Mr Jones a member of staff was able to locate him and she told my wife she had e-mailed him to contact her. My estranged wife explained everything again and what had been agreed with Mr Jones, she expressed her concerns at not having received the letter despite the fact that the initial set up payment had been debited from her account and that the direct debit mandate had been sent. She was concerned that the payment date was not on the direct debit mandate letter and that it had not yet been clarified and was therefore worried there may not be sufficient funds in the account at the time it was due to be claimed.

The staff member said that she didn’t know what was going on with the account my wife had given her my details and she looked into the account, she disclosed that the interest was not frozen on the account and that she didn’t really understand what was happening with it, and asked my wife lots of questions about it, she couldn’t speak to me directly to discuss the card and account as I was at another location to my wife, at work. After having looked into the account and discussing it with my wife she then proceeded to say that she didn’t want to interfere with it as Mr Jones was dealing with it and that she would email him to call my wife.

Mr Jones did call my wife back and she told him she was concerned as the letter had not arrived and that it had been two weeks. He then said that it was with the underwriters another department and that he had to do it manually

and that he would chase it up, and see what was happening. He promised to call my wife back on the Friday, that week, he did not call back.

She then called again and spoke to another staff member who again was sceptical as to whether she would be able to locate Mr Jones as there were loads of them! She took the details again and e-mailed him.

He did call my wife back and said that it was with CIU and that he still hadn’t heard anything and that there was no means other than to write to them, to contact them. My wife became confused and asked why it was taking so long and why was it in this CIU he said that it had to be submitted there and that a decision had not been made as yet. Of course my wife was utterly amazed a decision? Waiting for a response?! As far as we were led to believe a payment plan had been discussed and set up, and we were merely waiting confirmation of this.

If this was not the case then why would we be told the paperwork a letter would be in the post and my wife’s debit card be debited with the amount of £200 and a direct debit mandate form sent out, if nothing had been agreed or processed or confirmed? In short as far as we were both concerned a payment plan had been set up, and the first set up payment taken.

Mr Jones then said that he would find out what was happening and get back to my wife. He never has to date.

Sorry about the lenght of this but there's no easy way of explaining this and shortly after this my wife cancelled the direct debit as she was afraid they would take whatever money they wanted.

We lodged a complaint with the financial ombudsmen but have since been told it could take them a while to investigate.

MBNA have handed the outstanding monthly amount (inc. interest) £511, to a DCA (RMA/NCO). They sent a card saying they will call Tuesday 25th Nov. I called them the other day to confirm this was the MBNA card they were talking about. So I don't know what they will do next. I am not trying to get out of the debt but cannot afford these interest charges and am appalled they agreed to a managed repayment but then reneged on it.

Please help.

First and foremost

Send a SAR to the debt collection agency to get a copy of your original credit card agreement.(cost you £1 + registered post) there are template letters here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/135666-link-cag-templates.html.

Use letter N, requesting a copy of your original agreement which they have to provide under section 78 of the cca.

Once you have it remove all personal data and post it so that it can be reviewed.

PS DO NOT SIGN THE REQUEST or use a cheque, banks are not above using photoshop to shift signatures if they dont have an original document.

• Haha 1

Just to also add, that as I have only recently moved back in with my wife and kids, I'm changing the addresses back. So I called the RMA again this morning and told them plus the reason why it's with the ombudsmen, which they wrote down on their system and never mentioned anything else. Not even the outstanding amount. Interesting.

My wife received a phone call from RMA this morning about 8ish (not sure if they had received the S.A.R. already as it was only posted recorded delivery yesterday), but they were hassling her to speak to me. She asked what type of business they were and they were rude which is the wrong tack to take with my wife. Anyway, we will both tell them in future to put things in writing. We will not be speaking to them on the phone, as advised by the good people here at CAG.