I got a PCN in Gloucester Today

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi..

I Went shopping in Gloucester today, i parked my car in New Inn Lane behind the Natwest Bank in the high street.

I have parked here many times before with no problems. There were also many other cars, vans and even a bus parked there as well. But it's not an officially car park as i have just found out.

I have closely inspected this forum and checked the ticket. Everything is correct and no missing details...Dam.

I had no idea you couldn't park there and didn't see any signs.

I have received a Penalty Notice Charge of £70 by Gloucester city Council.

1. Should i just pay it and except that i must have missed been a muppet and missed the signs?

2. Or Is it actually worth fighting it, I mean what's my chances and what's my next move?

3. I could spin them a really good sob story about my elderly disabled mother needing the toilet or something , what do you rekon?

I like a good fight and £70 does seem to be a bit "unfair and excessive", and that's words i haven't used since getting all my bank charges back.!!

They have offered me a discount of %50 if its paid within the next 14 days. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

You need to do two things.

1. Post up copies of the PCN both front and back so that it can be examined for any non-compliance with the rules.

2. Obtain a copy of the Traffic Regulation Order from the council for the street in question. They should be available on public display.

The TRO details the restrictions on the street, days, times of any restriction. Sometimes the councils do not get things right thus invalidating the PCN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Full List of Roads where the Gloucestershire County Council (City of Gloucester) (Prohibition and Restriction of Waiting and Loading and Parking Places) Order 2007 applies can be found here

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=20165

A Full List of Roads affected by the recent change from Police enforcement to Council enforcment can also be found here

Gloucestershire County Council - On-street parking

Sorry, Parking Restrictions apply in that street.

According to the local paper around 40% of tickets so far issued have been succesfully appealed, the same local paper also recently reported that despite taking control of parking, the council had no intention of using it as a money making service, despite this, since taking control the council has generated over 1 million pounds in parking fines, go figure!

Edited by sweep1
Addition

According to the local paper around 40% of tickets so far issued have been succesfully appealed, the same local paper also recently reported that despite taking control of parking, the council had no intention of using it as a money making service, despite this, since taking control the council has generated over 1 million pounds in parking fines, go figure!

I suggest you make a freedom of information request to find out how much it costs to enforce parking and then come back and see if you still think the Council are making money out of it. You have CEOs, appeals staff, managers, traffic engineers and highways contractors salaries to pay for a start. Then you have the cost of equipment, vehicles, signage, legal costs and road markings and plates to factor in. If the only income was only penalties most enforcement would run at a loss, income is usually generated by paid for parking not parking penalties.

Agreed, most income would come from paid tickets rather than penalties alone.

The Freedom of Information Request is not needed, the same local paper already made one, the scheme is about 11 months old now, the council predicted that it would take about 18 months to cover initial start-up costs, but 11 months in and it`s now made enough to increase the number of Parking Attendents by 40%. (Up from 6 Police Traffic Wardens to 31 Parking Attendents).

And not forgetting that the Local Council admitted that it would target white van/delivery drivers with no exception.

Whilst Parking Controls are needed, the scheme has already come under heavy fire for it`s no leeway ticketing policy (more about issuing tickets than common sense)