• Tweets

• Thanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe concenquences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points?
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
    • Been perusing the actual figures on the polls above wondering where the '16% claimed for deform comes from? I understand that there are 'weighted' end results based on secret calculations ...   Probably going to repeat this later, but remember that the ukip/brexit/reform/deform party has ALWAYS had poll speculation FAR better than their actual  performance at elections - by large margins. SO: The labor and Tory votes come largely from simply the people who say they will vote for them - sorted Lab 43% Tory 20%, with maybe another small 1-2% coming from the weightings of the 'not sures' Greens largely get what is declared from 'other' , although with another declared green bit from the 'pressed' question   So as the share of the voting displayed in 'other' granted to reform/deform is around 11%, where does the '16% too often being reported come from? Seems that reform has been granted as beneficiary of effectively ALL the don't knows and wont says, who when pressed didn't actually declare for someone else ... effectively adding 40%+ to their reported polling % - rather strange given their consistent under-performance compared to polling - or perhaps that is the cause of the higher rating eh?   Now I admit the possibility (probability?) of wingers being ashamed of declaring their support for the yuckey lemon end of the spectrum ... but surely  that should affect the 'Torys as well? Maybe the statisticians have simply weighted in that deform wingers are simply more likely to lie?   But - without 'weightings' and assumptions that faragits will get everything that isnt declared as a definite and unequivocal 'not that Piers Morgan' - reform is on around 11% it seems.   Add to that the history of polling a lot less than the hype - and the simple fact that faragit wingers seem to be spread across the country (presumably skulking in their moms spare room despite being 45+) and greens and lib dems seem to be community minded - I think two seats will be an epic result for farage. Hardly the opposition - far more raving wingnut party.   and importantly - Has farage got a home in clacton yet?
    • "as I have no tools available to merge documents, unless you can suggest any free ones that will perform offline merges without watermarking" (which you don't) ... but ok please upload the documents and we'll go from there
    • Please go back and read my message posted at 10:27 this morning @jk2054. I didn't say that I wasn't going to provide documents, only that I will upload them to an online repo that I am in control of, and that I would share links to these. You shall still be able to read and download them no different from if they were hosted here. And, the issue I have is not so much with hosting, but using an online pdf editor to create a multi-page pdf, again I have discussed this that same message.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CCJ court claim form received

jodenice
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just posted on MSE forums and somebody said this site may be able to help.

My boyfriend is on a debt management plan with CCCS and most of them are fine - however, this morning he received a CCJ application from hfC.

(this is exactly why he didn't want to go on a dmp in the first place and why he wanted us to just continue trying to pay the minimum payments for all his debts - which was impossible). what do we do? I let CCCS know ages ago and sent loads of copies of solicitors letters from the HFC side to the CCCS team and we never heard a thing back, although they acknowledged they had them.

We have already had letters from the solicitors, which I replied to saying he was with CCCS and then forwarded the letters to them. There was a bit of a mix up when we first started whereby HFC hadn't been included in the recipients pay list but that had been rectified by the time we got the solicitors letter.

The amount we owe them (according to the form) is 1772.75. They have added court fee of £75 and a solicitors cost of £80 making the total £1927.75. However, reading the particulars of the form its says we owe them £1544 and have incurred £253 costs. It was for an unsecured credit thing (buy now pay one year etc) for when my boyfriend bought his computer .

Do I pass this onto CCCS? It says we have a limited time to respond.

I'm not sure what to do. :?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" Do I pass this onto CCCS? It says we have a limited time to respond"

Defently not or you will end up with a CCJ

Andy;)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ok well the CCCS have told us to admit everything and have filled in a form with us. To be fair, we do owe them money and we can't afford to pay it so I'm not sure really what else we can do. (the debt is for a buy now pay by a certain date or get hit with a whack load of interest computer)

The particulars of claim are as follows

breach of agreement pursuant to the consumer credit act 1974. The defendant entered in to a written agreement with the cliamant. This agressment is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The defendant is indebted to the Claimant in the sum of the £1544.77 and in respect of the said agreement under account number xxxxxxxxx and maintained by the Defendent at the claimants branch and the sum of £253.54 in respect of costs under the said agreement. In breach of the said agreement the defendant failed to make a payment in accordance with the agreed payment terms and the claimant issued and served a dafault notice upon the defendant and pursuant to section 87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. By letter from the Claimanat to teh Defendant the Claimant demanded repayment fo the said sum but hte defendant has failed to repay the said sum. in the premises the defendant is indebted to the claimant in the sum of £1798.11 the claimant therefore claimes the balance due under the agreement.

please excuse typing, I lost the will to live halfway through.

Have you requested a copy of the porported agreement that the claim is based on?

Did they issue a Default Notice prior to proceedings and did you recieve it?

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Nope haven't requested a copy, I think we have a copy ourselves somewhere.. and yes we did get a default notice and we told CCCS and they said to send the form through and they would contact them.

The thing that worries me is we have got to respond to all this by about the 20th November.

CCCS has said to admit everything, and send back our budget with the form, along with the CCCS recommendation of paying then 5.64 a month - I'm sure they're going to love that. :)

What I am worried about (apart from the CCJ for the next six years) is us being made to pay more despite all our spare money already going on our monthly dmp. Oh and the threats from the solicitor which say they may: apply to court for attachment of earnings, or issue a warrant for a bailiff or enforce by issuing a charge over our property. (we jointly own a mortgage)

"Ok well the CCCS have told us to admit everything and have filled in a form with us" What form? What as been stated?

What have the CCCS done about the DN?

When do you have to AoS by?

Andy

Its a court form from Northampton, its a county court claim form. (I've just re-read my first post and I haven't actually stated that, sorry). We have the choice to : agree with all claim and pay now OR agree with all claim and need time to pay OR admit only part of the claim or disagree with claim or want to counterclaim.

Has to be received by the solicitors by the 22nd (with an 'appropriate' payment offer or they claim in court)

CCCS has said to admit everything, and send back our budget with the form, along with the CCCS recommendation of paying then 5.64 a month - I'm sure they're going to love that. :-) Are either of you in employment?

What I am worried about (apart from the CCJ for the next six years) is us being made to pay more despite all our spare money already going on our monthly dmp. Oh and the threats from the solicitor which say they may: apply to court for attachment of earnings, or issue a warrant for a bailiff or enforce by issuing a charge over our property. (we jointly own a mortgage) Dont worry too much of the usual threats.

So I assume that HFC refused to be part of your DMP after the initial mix up in payments.Can I recommend not admitting any liability for the debt, partial or otherwise. If the credit agreement has not been requested or provided by HFC Finance as the result of a CCA request, then you have no way of ascertaining if the contract is legally valid under the CCA 1974. In the absence of this information, you are unwisely, in my opinion, admitting liability for a debt, that hasn't been proven to exist or one that conforms to the requirements of the CCA 1974.

You might be thinking that of course a debt exists! However, for the purposes of the law, the existence of the debt is determined by a credit agreement being furnished by your creditors and one that is deemed to be properly executed, which means its layout and content conforms to what the CCA 1974 prescribes.

You have tried the reasonable approach and found to your taste that they want to play hardball.

I trust the above is helpful.

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andyorch
  • Haha 1

"Has to be received by the solicitors by the 22nd (with an 'appropriate' payment offer or they claim in court"

No you have to AoS (acknowledge service)This can be done on line there is a password on the summons.You have 33 days to action summons date +5 equals deemed served,you then have a further 14 days to AoS and then a further 14 days to submit a defence should you decide to defend the claim.So all in all 33 days from the date on the summons.

You dont do any of the above vis a vis their Solicitors you do it on line via Northampton.

So just leaves the decision of what your intention are admit all = CCJ

defend part = CCJ defend all = a possability of them coming to an amicable decision and accepting a reasonable payment.Choice is yours?

Regards

Andy;)

Edited by Andyorch

We are both in employment. However, the debts are all my boyfs and he earns much less than me. He was diagnosed with clinical depression and some of the effects of this appear to be him going on a spending rampage (secretly). I found out, he went to doctors, was diagnosed, whereupon he has now set up the DMP and is slowly paying everyone back - slowly being the operative word. The reason we went for this was because a huge amount of my wages were going on his outstanding credit payments, yet when we looked at his wages, his half of the bills and his payments, he only had £145 free per month.

Sadly, this debt is one of the smaller ones. The DMP has been working well apart from this one company who want their money much faster than we can afford to give it to them.

Although HFC were missed from the original few payments they (or rather their solicitors) have been in receipt of a small monthly amount from the DMP. I don't know about the credit agreement and whether they requested it but would assume that they did, although I will check this out.

I'm not sure what to do next. I have no idea of what steps to take and am finding the whole process bewildering. :(

"Has to be received by the solicitors by the 22nd (with an 'appropriate' payment offer or they claim in court"

No you have to AoS (acknowledge service)This can be done on line there is a password on the summons.You have 33 days to action summons date +5 equals deemed served,you then have a further 14 days to AoS and then a further 14 days to submit a defence should you decide to defend the claim.So all in all 33 days from the date on the summons.

You dont do any of the above vis a vis their Solicitors you do it on line via Northampton.

So just leaves the decision of what your intention are admit all = CCJ

defend part = CCJ defend all = a possability of them coming to an amicable decision and accepting a reasonable payment.Choice is yours?

Regards

Andy;)

So before I repsond I have to decide which course of action to take and then indicate this online. Is that right?

The problem we have is that what he is paying them is not what they will consider reasonable. yet there is no more money in the pot for them, we have very little left at the end of the month as it is.

"Sadly, this debt is one of the smaller ones. The DMP has been working well apart from this one company who want their money much faster than we can afford to give it to them. Well life is tough and a wait in your BFs predicament so they should wait and take their turn

have they heard of pro rata?

I don't know about the credit agreement and whether they requested it but would assume that they did, although I will check this out. They cant request it only you can using the the letter in the templates section letter N.Enclose a £1.00 PO and dont sign the request .Post recorded Del at the least

I'm not sure what to do next. I have no idea of what steps to take and am finding the whole process bewildering. :Cry: understandable and what the Claimant relies on

If you do decide to Defend the whole claim you will also need to send a CPR request ASAP along with the CCA request.I can post should you decide on this course of action

Andy

So before I repsond I have to decide which course of action to take and then indicate this online. Is that right? Yes only you can make that decision

The problem we have is that what he is paying them is not what they will consider reasonable. yet there is no more money in the pot for them, we have very little left at the end of the month as it is.

Tough they will have to accept and wait their turn.

Regards

Andy

I have just seen a fantastic letter from someone on another post - really hard hitting etc.

I have a few questions - we know we owe them money so what exactly would our defence be??? I know we are trying to pay them off but its going to take years.

2 - if I send them this letter demanding credit agreements, charges, etc... does it automatically mean that I am defending? Can i get all this information and still admit it if the evidence is there? (want cake + eat it!)

3 - To defend it - do you actually have to be there? I am happy to do all of this but its my boyfriends debt and I doubt he would travel to Northampton to plea his case to a judge (its been a fairly traumatic few months and he just wants it all over with, even at the cost of a CCJ against his name)

4 - to complete the acknowledgement of service, and therefore get more time, means that you are contesting it?

PS i should have said earlier, really appreciate you taking the time to reply to this, its been really informative and helpful.

Edited by jodenice

Ok jodenice

lets take it one step at a time

You can defend/contest their actions in the matter.There are many ways to draft a defence without admitting a thing.Do you think they have been amicable in bringing said claim?

By sending said letter does not mean a defence but rather putting the account in dispute(this is normally pre litigation) but there is plenty you can do to halt the claim

When you defend a claim you you simply halt an automated process.CCBC (northampton) is a bulk summons centre hence on line access.

This is the process AoS (gives you an extra 14 days) make plea (if defend all gives you another 14 days.Submit defence Northampton forwards your defence to claimant.Claimant has 28 days to respond or back down.If they proceed you will recieve an AQ ( Allocation Questioniiare) this transfers the case to your local CC.if they fail to respond then the claim goes to stay.

Once you have done the AoS on line do no more at this stage think what you intend to do ,you have a further 14 days to decide what your action is to be so no you are not contesting anything at this stage.

just post if you are unsure of anything

Regards

Andy

• Haha 1

OK well just had an email from someone who works at CCCS and they say, as we borrowed the money we have to admit the debt. As its not like they got the wrong person or we didn't borrow the money.

*bangs head on desk*

:D I dont dispute there are 52 weeks in a year either

just a quick few points. HFC do normally have a good paper trail, but its always your right to ask them for a copy of your CCA.

You have to defend at least part of the claim, as HFC CANNOT add illegal charges. You can do this is two ways

1) Make a counter claim

2) Use a little known right off 'set off'

This is just a very small point but it will save you a bit of money upfront on court fees.

If you make a counter claim you also have to pay a court fee.

However, if you say that, as part of your defence, you have the right of equitable set-off of these charges against the amount claimed then you are counter-claiming the charges but you don't need to pay the fee

If anybody is interested here is a bot about the different types of set-off:-

The 1958 Court of Appeal decision in the case of Hanak -v- Green is regarded as one of the key decisions defining the modern law of set-off. It may now be said there are four forms in which a set-off can arise: 1) Mutual liquidated debts (sometimes called legal set-off). A cross claim can be set-off as a defence if the amount of the debt is known or can be readily and without difficulty ascertained. 2) Equitable set-off (sometimes called transaction set-off). The test as to whether a cross claim can be relied upon as an equitable set-off is whether it is so closely connected with the claim that it would be manifestly unjust to allow the claim without taking into account the cross claim. 3) Contractual set-off. The contract may dictate certain procedures that must be observed to preserve the right to apply a set-off 4) Statutory set-off. For example, under rule 4.90 of the Insolvency Rules 1986 an employer can set-off any claims it can prove against monies owing to an insolvent contractor.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure why are the charges illegal?

Would I be mounting a defence in the hope that they couldn't be bothered to appeal in court?

I am stuck on what my defence would be? That we are trying to pay them anyway?

I'm not sure why are the charges illegal? Because they are penalty charges and can be offset to reduce the claimants claim amount

Would I be mounting a defence in the hope that they couldn't be bothered to appeal in court? Dont bank on it but if you dont you never know they win you lose

I am stuck on what my defence would be? That we are trying to pay them anyway?

That the claim is subject to penalty charges, that they have issued a claim vextatiously ,that the Default Note is invalid etc etc even the CCA may be invalid hence my earlier post #9

Andy:cool:

OK cool, I am reading through other threads too, thanks everyone.

I shall have to talk to other half (& CCCS) and see what to do.

I have sent off a letter to the solicitors asking for the original credit agreement, any fines, any insurance added etc.

Jo

sorry had to do a bit of work today :p

Was the letter like this one?

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

[Prior to the issue of proceedings I had delivered a request for the production of the agreement mentioned in the Claim Form and on which you rely. That request was ignored][delete if no such request was delivered]

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the assignment*

3 the default notice*

4 the termination notice*

5 [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]*

* delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim.

[Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise]#

# delete if claim for a sum exceeding £5,000.00

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

yes it was like that, I copied and amended another one I found on the site, it was a bit more stern, but yours looks more applicable I may go grab my envelope and use this one instead (its in my work post, if I get it now I can change it!!)