• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

angling_man/ Firstplus PPI reclaim***won***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello angling man,

I think the catch is that I have to apply for the Cashback within 30 days of it expiring. I bet loads of people get caught by that because they forget about it after 5 years! :Cry:

Yes you will undoubtedly be 100% correct in this. I would suggest after you have confirmation of the cashback that when you come to claim, If it is by post send it special delivery or better still if you can deliver by hand and ask for a written receipt on the spot.;) The thing is to ensure proof of delivery within the 30 day timescale as they may well try and deny getting the claim:eek:

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello angling man,

If you hit problems getting your cash this is the link that may help get some money back.

FSCS - Financial Services Compensation Scheme    

have a look and put the link in your favourites so it is available if you need it.

Best ever fish was 20lb salmon scotland.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hello angling man,

I just spoke to FirstPlus and they've confirmed I will receive the full £7,972 PPI premium as cashback next year.

AM

PS. Best fish is a 19lb 8oz Common Carp.

Remember to post when you get written confirmation and/or your cheque.

I would actually suggest you get that in writing now and not accept a phone call as confirmation. Best in black and white methinks;)

And well done on a quality Carp.:D

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hello am,

I had a good look at your proposed letter. I have copied an old letter of mine cobbled your points into it just to flesh it out a bit more. Perhaps you could have a look it needs a bit of tidying up due to pasting and copying but if you can use it, if it suits, please do.

Para deleted after post from goldlady below

A PPI policy was attached to a secured loan obtained from you in August 2004,

I took out a £40,000 secured loan with you over the telephone.

This loan included a payment protection insurance policy costing £7,972, the premium for which was added to the loan amount.

I am now convinced that I was mis-sold this PPI policy for the following reasons:

I was not asked if I wanted payment protection insurance, it was automatically included.

I was not told the payment protection insurance could be paid monthly.

The payment protection insurance was inappropriate for my needs as it only covers the first 5 years of the loans 20 year term.

Underwriting a Policy of Insurance: When the details of a loan were discussed, Your sales advisor failed to check my personal circumstances at the time of the sale, which they are under obligation to do when underwriting a Policy of Insurance. If they had done so, they would have realised that the PPI policy was useless to me. At no time was any attempt made to ascertain if the product provided was fit for purpose, suitable for my needs or if indeed it was required at all.

Significant Policy Exclusions: I was most definitely not informed that the PPI policy could contain certain exclusions which could affect me and my ability to claim on the policy if I should need to.

Widespread PPI Mis-Selling: I have recently become aware of the widespread mis-selling of PPI by some financial institutions, following recent media coverage and recent OFT and FSA investigations regarding the mis-selling of PPI. I believe this is borne out by the Paragraph covering Significant Policy Exclusions above. I am also aware that the question of PPI cover is the subject of an ongoing inquiry by the Competition Commissioner.

Alternative Insurance Cover:

Your sales advisors in each case failed to ask me if I had any alternative arrangements for insurance cover. My employer provided a generous illness and redundancy package.

Wholly Inappropriate PPI Selling Bonuses: I understand that some employees are paid higher bonuses if they get prospective creditors to take out PPI with loans. How can the best interests of the customer possibly be met, if there is a clear conflict of interest between your responsibilities to me, and the drive of your employees to sell Payment Protection Insurance whether it is suitable or not in order to receive bonuses?

True Nature of Single Premium PPI Not Explained: No explanation was forthcoming from any advisor on any occasion on the full extent of single premium PPI policies, or the fact that they would offer little or no refund if the loan was settled early or if the insurance was cancelled.

I now believe that the single premium PPI policy attached to the loan account was extremely unfair, totally unreasonable and of very limited protection value. I am therefore requesting a full refund of all costs including all single PPI premiums that have been paid, the interest added to these premiums and the payments, that I have paid to date.

Furthermore, as I believe I have been unlawfully deprived of this money, I also expect the repayment of the interest at the Statutory Interest rate of 8%.

I look forward to a full and prompt response to this letter and for the matter to be concluded within eight weeks or I shall be contacting the Financial Ombudsman to investigate my complaint.

This is only for your consideration If you want to send your letter than I think it would be ok.

aa

Edited by alanalana
Paragraph and text removed after goldlady post 30

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

That's a fair point goldlady,

AA - just a thought but if AM cancels it and they then refuse to refund it, or worse go bust before that, he is then signing away his right to at least getting the premiums back which he would still get if the worst happened as presumably that would be underwritten in some way.

Yes I tend to agree if there is a risk of administration then I believe you are right at least he could approach the Financial Services Compensation Scheme for a claim of refund.

I will edit the post above. Thank you.

aa

• Haha 1

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hello AM,

Keep on with the payments to get your refund when it is due. In the meantime if you can claim mis-selling and get the premium and interest refunded then that will be a result.

At least you know you will get the refund but I would still press for written confirmation at this moment in time. It could be useful if firstplus try it on later.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

hello am

Thanks for all your advice. Been a bit busy this week, but finally updated my letter. This is what I'll be posting to them tomorrow (recorded of course) - unless someone spots any further improvments of course...

A Payment Protection Insurance policy was attached to a £40,000 secured loan I took out with you over the telephone in August 2004. The premium of £7,972 for the Payment Protection Insurance policy was added to the loan amount.

I am now convinced that I was mis-sold this Payment Protection Insurance policy for the following reasons:

• I was not asked if I wanted Payment Protection Insurance, it was automatically included. (without my consent)
  • I was not told the Payment Protection Insurance could be paid monthly.
  • The Payment Protection Insurance was inappropriate for my needs as it only covers the first 5 years of the loans 20 year term. (This policy would therefore leave me with no appropriate cover for the majority term of the loan)
  • When the details of the loan were discussed, your sales advisor failed to check my personal circumstances at the time of the sale, which they are under obligation to do when underwriting a Policy of Insurance. If they had done so, they would have realised that the Payment Protection Insurance policy was useless to me. At no time was any attempt made to ascertain if the product provided was fit for purpose, suitable for my needs or if indeed it was required at all.
  • I was not informed that the Payment Protection Insurance policy could contain certain exclusions which could affect me and my ability to claim on the policy if I should need to.( This is a failure of your staff to ensure the policy was fit for purpose and therefore I contest in the strongest terms that your sales procedures were flawed to the disadvanantage of your customer.)
  • Your sales advisors in each case failed to ask me if I had any alternative arrangements for insurance cover. My employer provided a generous illness and redundancy package. (This then highlights yet another failure in your sales procedures)
  • No explanation was forthcoming from any advisor on any occasion on the full extent of single premium Payment Protection Insurance policies, or the fact that they would offer little or no refund if the loan was settled early or if the insurance was cancelled. ( Your advisors have surely not given the correct advice to customers with reference to Payment Protection Insurance products.)
  • I was not told I could buy Payment Protection Insurance elsewhere if I wish.

see this link to add clout to your claim

• I was not informed of the true cost of the Payment Protection Insurance due to the interest it would incur over the term of the loan

I now believe that the single premium Payment Protection Insurance policy attached to the loan account was extremely unfair, totally unreasonable and of very limited protection value. I am therefore requesting a full refund of all costs including all single Payment Protection Insurance premiums that have been paid, the interest added to these premiums and the payments, that I have paid to date.

Furthermore, as I believe I have been deprived of this money I also expect 8% statutory interest, the amount a court would award, to be added.

I look forward to a full and prompt response to this letter and for the matter to be concluded within eight weeks or I shall be contacting the Financial Ombudsman ((Or the courts if necessary) to investigate my complaint.

Please check out the red and the link The letter is good but you could add more clout if you use the bits in red and or the link which will back up the no competition issue.

Good luck and remember it is your shout so if you think the letter should go as it is then that is fine and good luck with it you will no doubt have a fight on your hands but CAG is a great way to resolve your problem;)

aa

Edited by alanalana
spelling yet again

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 5 weeks later...

Hello AM.

Today I received a letter from FirstPlus. It only took 3 weeks for them to respond and they've upheld my complaint.

They are going to refund the PPI premium and interest to my account (£11k), adjust the account as if the insurance had never been taken and refund to me the excess payments I've made as a result of the insurance (£3.6k). A whopping £14.6k in total!!!! Thanks GoldLady & Alanana for your help :-))

The only thing they arean't doing is adding the 8% interest I requested on the money they've deprived me of. That would amount to about £650, but I suspect it would delay my claim and could result in a drawn out battle.

Realistically, is it worth chasing that extra £650?

**CRACKING RESULT**

But it pales into insignificance compared to a big fish:D

Enjoy the moment and you are more than welcome to any advice that has been offered. I am pleased for your positive result and when you get the refund don't forget to post in the stickies PPI successess:)

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

That will be Salmon rods then not Carp:D:D

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 4 weeks later...

Hello AM,

Cheque arrived and has now cleared in my account. They've even refunded an over payment for November. Excellent News Very pleased for you.

Now I feel it's time to tackle them regarding the BoE interest rate cuts they've failed to pass on to me. Anyone got any suggestions regarding this?

You will probably need more expert advice on this than from me.

I do not believe the Banks are under any obligation to pass on the interest rate cuts as handed down from the BoE. Some banks are passing on the full cut some are not and I am uncertain of the legalities on this. I know it sucks but I think you will now find RBS 58% owned by the Taxpayer will pass on the full amount whereas others banks will not pass on the full cut due to the current financial meltdown. Time to switch accounts and perhaps boycott the banks that have made life difficult for the PPI reclaimers.:eek:a

aa

Cheers,

AM

• Haha 1

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hello gibby 150,

i`ve got a loan with this outfit , i phoned yesterday asking about the rate cuts and also got fobbed off . i was raging on the phone the guy on the other end never gave a toss, i also enquired about the ppi , i took a £25k loan out 2 years ago and the ppi was £7k . i wrote to them 3 months ago to cancel i got the letter back saying they would reduce my payments by £11 per month on the agreement the ppi is £75 a month . so i never cancelled they also said they would refund me £1000 to be credited to my loan ,,, any advise please it would be gratefull :-)

My suggestion would be to start your own individual thread on your complaint so there is no mix up on different cases.

You can just hit the start new thread button and take it from there.

if you need more help just post;)

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from