DVLA - medical

daviesjlee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help? I was banned from driving 3 years ago for drink driving and looking to get my licence back. DVLA have informed me i need a medical, which is no problem. However last year i had to take a medical for the type of job i do, the medical is from a doctor (who is DVLA registered) and is valid for 5 years. I had to pay £120.00 for this. DVLA have advised me i need to take it again with a doctor who they recomend, i just don't want to pay £120.00 again i have advised them that i already have a medical. Is there anyway round paying out again?

Thanks

I would say no.

The medical requirement is to establish whether you have an alcohol problem and not your general fitness for work - I would suggest that a year ago is too long.

The 5 year validity will be for the work function and irrelevant to any other purpose. A bit like an MoT test only shows that the vehicle complied on that day and not 6 months later.

I would say no.

I concur. The DVLA medical has quite specific criterion and looks at your fitness to drive, and any risk of further DUI.

Aside from anything else, the DVLA aren't likely to make it any less inconvenient for a convicted drink-driver to get back on the road.

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

• 1 month later...

i have to go fro one of these next week after a ban of a year for drink driving. I was stopped after stupidly driving when one of my friends took ill..no excuses though i shouldn't have driven, knee jerk reaction. I am now very worried about this medical as i have heard lots of different reports about how if the blood test comes back stating stuff wrong with your liver they will not allow you your licence back. I am not a heavy drinker nor do i have an alchohol problem, but worried just the same. has anybody had experience of these medicals??