• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Co-op hardship case refused - help pls

c1nders77girl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Andrew

I have just received an interim payment of 65% of my Abbey hardship claim, my claim will not be predudiced as a result of the OFT test case and therefore should the OFT win I will be able to get the balance.I followed this route my claim was paid out in under 4 weeks.

The best way to claim under the FSA waiver rules is to complete an income and expenses - joint if you have a partner,

All evidences of your hardship, this can be arrears on mortgage/rent, debts, court actions, medical.... etc.

A spreaddie of all your charges and interest (compensatory 8%)

A letter explaining your hardship and enclosing all evidences and documentations as above.

The more info you can provide the better chance you have of your bank giving a sypathetic cnsideration to your claim under the FSA waiver rules.

Tuttsi

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi Tuttsi

A result for you, I noticed your success with Abbey, if I ever need to make a claim under hardship rules I'll PM you for advice.

In the case of c1nders77girl, the Cooperative Bank have acknowledged hardship, however they claim they don't have to consider hardship cases.

So I say that a complaint to FOS is the logical next step, the alternative is write reminding the Co-Op of their obligations, in response they will just continue with their lying and delaying tactics.

Andy

This is interesting reading. I'm on a debt management scheme but claiming compound interest (when I eventually have enough money to fill in N1) so if I eventually applied to the courts how would this affect any percentage payout?

I'm about to re-apply for 2 cases which have been stayed since last year claiming compound interest (instead of 8%) on those. Tuttsi, are you about to become one of my heroines?

Hi Tuttsi

A result for you, I noticed your success with Abbey, if I ever need to make a claim under hardship rules I'll PM you for advice.

In the case of c1nders77girl, the Cooperative Bank have acknowledged hardship, however they claim they don't have to consider hardship cases.

So I say that a complaint to FOS is the logical next step, the alternative is write reminding the Co-Op of their obligations, in response they will just continue with their lying and delaying tactics.

Andy

Hi Andy

I had a thought after I posted that Co-op I do not believe are not participating in the OFT test case. That should not exclude them from either settling a claim on hardship or otherwise and I agree that if their letter is a final no no, then a complaint to both the FOS and FSA sent with all the evidences that has been sent to Co-op on which they have refused.

Another thought which I favour first is that the CEO of the Co-op may remedy this situation if it were bought to his/hers attention, especially if they were made aware that they were contravening the FSA waiver rules. Perhaps this info had not been filtered through to the relevant departments and the CEO would certainly not want to be fined or ridiculed by the FSA or FOS for non compliance. I would IMHO give a 7 days letter to the CEO advising them of the intentions to make a serious complaint to both FOS and FSA if they do not consider hardship claims.

Tutts xx.

This is interesting reading. I'm on a debt management scheme but claiming compound interest (when I eventually have enough money to fill in N1) so if I eventually applied to the courts how would this affect any percentage payout?

I'm about to re-apply for 2 cases which have been stayed since last year claiming compound interest (instead of 8%) on those. Tuttsi, are you about to become one of my heroines?

Hiya Sallysas

I am not sure with compound intest where a claim has not already been in the court system and stayed. Is you claim with Abbey or Co-op!

Not knowing all your circumstances, could it be that you may qualify for exemption with the courts for filing your N1.

I can only tell you I was helped on another site to a very high standard of expertese and this has enabled me and many others to obtain our interim payments now rather than wait by sending everything nicely packaged.

Compounded contractual interest is something that I know some peeps are working on now with a court case on Friday which is now awaiting the judgement from the Judge in 1/2 weeks time. The POC etc all have to be very well presented as the oposing bank will send a barister to fight it. One of the main arguments for CCI is Sempra v Inland Revenue. You have to know your ground to fully argue this efficiently in court.

In the mean time you can go for compensatory interest which seems to cover whatever interest rate you want to use. My Abbey claim irronocally was contractual interest - I used the rate I was charged at the time of each charge and yes they paid 65% of that and had not argued about that.

Sally if there is anything I can help you with you can PM me or post here so that I can help you as much as I can. I know what it is like when you just do not have the knowledge to see something through.

I also believe that genuine hardship cases should be considered by all the banks not just the banks that are currently involvbed in the OFT test case.

Regards

Tuttsi xx

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the advice given on the FSA website:

FAQs complaints about bank charges

Scroll to the bottom and it mentions "If you have a case of genuine financial difficulty, your bank or building society must still handle your complaint. If you're not happy with their response, we can look at whether we will be able to deal with your case before the legal position on bank charges has been settled under the "test case" legal action."

I wonder if MBNA are the new Enron :roll:

Well, after numerous letters etc. Co-Op have wrote to me today offering to settle my bank charges at half, I have am in the middle of writing a letter to advise I will accept this first payment but will still be continuing to claim the other half.

So, at least this has now reduced my overdraft down further & thus reducing my debts.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html will give you all the letters you will need.

Don't forget if/when you file at court to put into your POC (particulars of claim) that you have already accepted xxxx amount as part-payment only.

Glad they're crumbling for you.:)

Sally

Cinders,

Firstly, congratulations hun.... I am so so pleased for you, you got there in the end.

You should not have to reject claims under the waiver condition as the Co-Op should have made it unconditional and it should not have been in Full and Final Settlement. Have they sent you a letter and are you able to scan it in without you personal details so we can check the wording for you. They also under the waiver rules not be asking you to sign that it is in full settlement.

The balance of your claim should be dealt with at the end of the OFT test case and any residue will be paid then.

Regards

Tuttsi xxx