• Tweets

• The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
    • Hello everyone,   Just thought id post an update.   I've today now finally received a claim form from PRA Group. Bit annoying as the last payment to them would have August 2018 so was nearly over the line. I believe my only grounds for defence is that they haven't managed to produce a copy of the DN notice, however from some online research I managed to find some case law that stated they can use their systems screenshot to show proof of it being sent.   I know I have to respond back to their claim form and will do so online on moneyclaim, is now the time to pick up the phone to them and negotiate a deal?   Any advice as always is much appreciated it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CapQuest/HBoS Statutary Demand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here we go - a supposed CCA from CapQuest, hence yesterday's solicitors letter.

Well I can see no real prescribed terms - the APR is not clarified is it? The right to cancel says I have a short time and how and when will be sent on to me, no credit limit, no monthly repayments and total amount with credit, the terms and conditions are on the back, which I believe have to be on the same page(?), but could be acceptable?

Again, the bit under "The Agreement" states, "I understand that Halifax Plc may use credit scoring techniques to assess my application."

Anyhow, they have committed a criminal offence by non-compliance to the 42 day deadline and the debt is unenforcable at this time. I gather this is like my Smile CA - unenforcable due to being incorrectly executed.

Your thoughts please.

Halifax.jpg

Halifax2.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As no one seems to want to even read this, maybe I should put in what I have now gleaned from this. The APR is not totally clear, although it appears as the title of the card, it doesn't say "Halifax Classic 10.8% APR Flat Rate Card".

It is not signed by anyone at Hbos.

There is no total amount of credit repayable on a maxxed out card as there is no credit limit stated.

There is no repayment structure and total amount repayable if only minimum payments made.

I think this then makes it an unenforcable agreement over and above the fact CapQuest have committed a criminal offence and cannot enforce this debt without a court order. But why would they want to go to court when they have defaulted and committed a criminal offence?

Look under '7. Important Financial & Related Details'

'We will set a credit limit for your account and tell you what it is.

OK so I signed for a credit limit I hadn't yet been told about?

been here before.

I've read a few of your posts and I am not sure of your motives here. All seem to be telling people you are right and they are wrong.

What overdraft is this then?

Thanks Tomterm. Can I ask where they signed the agreement? As if you refer to the very faint stamp mark below "You have lived at the above address for.." it reads:

"RECIEVED

-3 SEP 20 (rest illegable)

(printed squiggle not a real sig.)"

However, I may be wrong in thinking it has to be a real signature.

Rory has sent me some info on the overdraft CCA which mine falls under.

I was pretty sure this was similar to the Smile one in so much as the correct terms were not there. Thanks. ;)

I thought that might be the case, hence my mode of questioning on the signature front.

I fully agree that nowhere does it say anything to the effect of "please read and check details and read all T&C's overleaf before signing. Upon signing you are agreeing to the T&C's overleaf", or something similar.

OK Tomterm, thank you for your help. It is as I suspected but slightly changed re the signature front, which I now understand. :)

• 1 month later...

OK I CCA'd CapQuest over 2 alleged credit card debts back in April. On May 2nd they defaulted and on June 1st they committed an offence.

However, CapQuest came back with what appears to be a CA but on closer inspection is a non-enforcable piece of paper as it doesn't have the legally prescribed terms on it.

So I sent them a letter asking them to set the account to zero, compensation for continuing to process my data, cease and desist from further harassment, etc. Also informed them they cannot enforce the debt and cannot get it infoced in the court.

I hear nothing for a few weeks then they send me a letter demanding immediate payment and thanking my for my correspondance. Attached is a copy of the non-enforcable bit of paper which is headed "This is a Credit Agreement".

I won't go into too much here but they also said they investigated me and I asked for proof of the finding they said they found which is utter bull anyway, and they have done nothing to answer this.

Should I report them to TS and ICO and also just do the broken record and re-send the letter I sent?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Peter.

The original CA copy sent to me as per the photos - this has the T's & C's printed overleaf. However, when they re-sent this, there were no T's & C's overleaf.

The Agreement box states "I have recieved a copy of and agree to be bound by the Conditions of Use". It makes no reference to "overleaf" which another agreement I have says and actually hasn't got them overleaf.

Plus this turned up after an offence was commited on the out of time production of the CA.

• 5 weeks later...

OK I've got this HBoS/CapQuest debt that 'appears' to be good. I know I have to SAR HBoS to remove the charges, but as I've been away from the forum for a bit, can anyone tell me the coup with claiming charges on credit cards? Is it still good to go or on hold?

I'll be fair, CapQuest will STILL accept my £1.00 per month and have offered to drop the debt by £600 - not that I could afford to pay it off and I'm sure that's only the charges removed anyway.

But, I fell floored by it and they are threatening court action by 16th Sept if I don't comply.

If I SAR does that stop them seeking court action immediately or not?

• 9 months later...

Just received a Statutary Demand from CapQuest which has £703 of interest included! Nice!

It's also written to a name which isn't mine. For example if my name was Collection they have written to Colction and the SD is in that name, i.e. they have missed 2 letters out of my name on both the letter and the SD.

The debt was CCA'd some time ago and a CA was given but several people on this forum have agreed the CA isn't enforcable due to the wording and the fact I signed the front form and there was not CA T&C's on the front of the form.

I wrote back to them disputing the debt and requesting compensation under the Data Protection Act and for them to stop misusing my data, to which they ignored this. I have had one or two letters back from them but effectively the debt is still in dispute with me.

The SD was dated for yesterday and the covering letter dated for today and it only arrived in the post today - ESP or what?!?!?

Not quite sure where to go being as it has been CCA'd, I suppose I could S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) it immediately???

All advice greatfully received - thanking you.

OK I've contacted the court and got the set aside forms, which has no provision to change the court.

Sent a complaint letter to CrapQuest who sent me another copy of the CA which several people have said is unenforcable. CrapQuest think it's good to go. But surely, if they bankrupt me, they won't get any money from me?

NO I haven't worked for 6 years, do not own where we live, no car, nothing they could have off of me. I'm a full time carer.

Yes they have filled that bit in about which court to go to. I phoned that court which isn't that far from me but not local, and their set aside forms are for their court only. Should I get an affidavit from my court to fill in and send back, stating that is the correct court, not the one CQ chose?

I'm quite worried about the CA - it's the same one I've banged on about for a long time. The page I signed only has the APR on it, the sentance stating the limit and repayment terms are on another piece of paper called Terms of Use. They origianlly sent me the CA with the Terms of Use on the back, but they have sent me two copies of the CA now with no Terms of Use on the reverse.

I've been told it's a mailer application.

Thank you very much for that. Yes I have SAR the OC.

I'll PM you the thread with the CA and the reverse Terms of Use - surely even if they are on the other side, they are not in the single document, because it's headed as something else?

So, how do I word this for the set aside, as I am extremely confused. I also care full time for mum who is suffering severe Alzheimer's and physical disabilities. My time is so short to deal with these things.

Maybe there is someone on CAG who can advise/help me?

I've not got the money, I own nothing so I don't know how to proceed.

Many thanks

Just tried speaking to my local court and they don't do bankruptcy and the court I've contacted is the nearest one! I one I originally contacted wouldn't really talk to me about it when I asked for advice. I've been told to speak to the court as they will help..........Not this one!

• 3 months later...

I'm off to court next week for a set aside on an SD from CapQuest.

I have only had printouts of an "account" from the OC and nothing else disclosed in the SAR.

My defence is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/147909-capquest-hbos-statutary-demand.html which I hope is ok.

Been told to just be honest which I will be but I'm not really sure what happens at one of these and I'm rather nervous. Can anyone help and advise me please?

Hi Rory

Yes I invited the court to order cost in favour of me in respect of reasonable cost of preparing the application and attending any hearings in respect thereof.

Also, reading some other bits, if they didn't apply the Law and Property Act correctly and send a correct default notice, they have made a big boo boo, is that correct?

Thank you both.

I think the CA is a good un which means even if this is set aside I would gather they'll got for a CCJ - but if I can make it to next March the 6 years are up!

Would the judge mind if I took notes as I'm sure I'll never remember everything or at least get muddled?

I really do not have any original statements, I have never recieved a default notice and I have never received a notice of assignment from the OC.

The SD was sent via 1st class post - is that properly served?

I checked the paperwork I got from HBoS last night and the alleged debt is £1500 something, (forgive me my head is spinning with stuff at the mo), but about £100 of that is charges interest and payment protection. So it brings it down to £1400 something OC claiming for. CQ claiming £2200 something around £750 more than the alleged debt and this is what they have put on the SD.

HBoS not sent any other things except badly printed out what they consider "statements" and trust me, they say on them "statement date" and when to "pay by" which HBoS make it look like they have been sending out, but I have not heard from HBoS in years.

I also have a letter from HBoS saying they do not have to keep manual interventions on the account.

Plus this is the one which is served to Miss Vampyra WrongSurname! Surely, that wont help them?

Also, the CA which they sent originally has not been sent out again they keep sending a copy out with no T's & C's on the back *shrugs*

I have to admit I am scared. I've told no-one and I'm doing this entirely alone.

As far as I know noone has ever tried to serve anything by hand. Don't forget, I'm in most of the time because of caring for mum.

Even though I don't pay for day care, mum has had to go into day care on the day of the court case so could I claim for that too?

I'll ring the court now. Do they have to tell me?