• Tweets

• Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
    • So should I send them a new SAR and put my date of birth on it? Or do I need to send them some proof? Driving license? 
    • Thanks so much for your help!! I've emailed them, and when they reply saying they can't do it I'll reply and state my rights. I'm so glad I found this forum, and will read all of the posts I can find and help guides available for the future. Really can't thank you enough.
    • utter BS, doesn't matter you signed it. pers i'd be writing as per the other threads here rejecting the car as not as described under CRA etc and be done with it. as its a debit card you could also do a full chargeback within 120 days to your bank and simply dump the car back to BMW. 100's of like threads to read here. get your ducks inline. make sure you know what you are doing and off you go. dont take any BS from BMW, no matter what you sign it does NOT remove your consumer rights. p'haps it might be on the off chance you are a good manager , a quick phonecall tomorrow saying you dont want it because (no bla bla fitted) it might be resolved in 5 mins..i will guess to date you not tried
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Me v Lloyds TSB (They Seem Confident) ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there!

Im new to this site and would like you to commend you guys on how useful and supportive it is.

Im in the process of claiming £780 from Lloyds; charges arrising from exceeding overdraft limits and unpaid DDs etc on a student account (at a time when I had little money).

I have sent the first letter claiming for a refund but was refused (they also said it was my fault and that Id breached the T&C of the account).

I then sent the second letter advising them that I will put a claim to the courts, again they refused. Their confidence is somewhat unsettling.

The situation now is that another £90 worth of 'fines' are being taken from me next week (10th july) and once they have been taken I am going to make a claim on the online court claims system.

If anyone is in a similar situation or has any advice I look forward to hearing from you. Lloyds seem intent on making things difficult!

Mat

:D Mat 8-)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mat,

Yep, this is usual Lloyds tactics.

What is likely to happen now is that you will file your case. At the last moment they will acknowledge your claim, then say they will defend it. You will receive their defence and it will get transfered to your local court. You will then be required to complete an allocation questionnaire (paying an additional £100). What then happens differs for some. Some people receive an offer of settlement immediately, other have to wait. Some people have court dates set and are still awaiting settlement.

At the end of the day Lloyds do not want this to end up in court, so you can be pretty sure that you will receive settlement at some point along the way, just getting there takes some time!

Spend a bit of time reading through other threads, particually ones with settlement offered or received in the title. These will give you a better picture of whats happening out there and the tactics that are being used to scare people off.

The more you know about other peoples cases, the more confident you will be!

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi mat02920,

What closey said :)

If you read the various longer threads in this forum (PrincessAphrodite's, mine as two examples), you can see that we've been successful. I'm fairly confident that Lloyds haven't actually allowed 1 case to come before a judge, yet. Unfortunately with Lloyds, it just takes time to drag them kicking and screaming through the process.

One minor correction though - the Allocation Questionnaire fee (£100) is only payable if your claim is over £1500 - so you won't need to pay that extra charge :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

HI! :)

Thanks for your replies, I have just read mjanets thread. Was a very interesting read! Has given me the confidence to proceed to court which I'll do next week (would be sooner but ive since learnt of £90 more charges they are going to take from me on monday 10th july).

Does anyone have any idea of total costs Im likely to incur? (as im on a very tight budget haha (just finished uni)). My claim will be for £780 + interest + court costs. Also, what would people recommend?;actually going into court and filling out forms or doing it online?

Cheers! Look forward to hearing more, Mat :)

just read Closeys comment.... really pleased I read it as I am just starting with proceedings - and am feeling pretty scared of the seriousness of the matter!!

so this kind of reasurance is just what the doctor ordered! cheers, c ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Claim Issued 11th July 2006 (£949.70)

Defendant Filed Acknowledgement of Service 24th July 2006 (with the intention to defend)

I'm now expecting to hear from their solicitors who will try to scare me into accepting their terms & conditions if they refund my money. However I will not accept this as I have found additional charges that the bank have taken from me.

Anyone have any advice here? Ive started a claim and since found more charges; should I just say to the banks solicitors when the time seems right that unless they give me this money back in addition to my claim, I will start another claim?

All help and comments appreciated, Mat

If I were you, I would start another claim for charges taken after this one has been paid back to you, so you will at least have some spare cash to pay for the costs of the next claim.

My claim (similar amount to yours) is currently 'with the Judge' at my local County Court, I've only had to pay £80 costs in total as the amount is under £1000, and I'm expecting to get these back when Lloyds (reluctantly) pay up. I'm not in contact with Lloyds TSB solicitors just waiting for the Court to contact me. Just keep copies of everything and don't give up.

Haha, was just reading your thread. I get what your saying, hopefully the bank will just give the rest to me when I ask (to prevent court again); then again maybe they won't!

Your case is further ahead of mine, Im expecting their defense now and the questionaire. So if the judge is deciding your case doesnt that mean you have 'won' (hopefully you will) and that a precedent has been set?

Haha, was just reading your thread. I get what your saying, hopefully the bank will just give the rest to me when I ask (to prevent court again); then again maybe they won't!

Your case is further ahead of mine, Im expecting their defense now and the questionaire. So if the judge is deciding your case doesnt that mean you have 'won' (hopefully you will) and that a precedent has been set?

Hi, 'me -v-Lloyds TSB,

I've rang the Court office today to ask them whats happening, my case is still with the Judge (12 days now) I asked if they wanted any supporting documents (copies of my statements) but the Clerk said the Judge will direct them to write out to me if he needs any further details. Tempted to send them anyway to give the Judge a nudge, in case he's put my case to one side due to the fact that Lloyds have asked for time to negotiate. Yet Lloyds solicitors have not been in contact apart from wanting a copy of my AQ, so I'm just playing the waiting game.

• 2 weeks later...

Received Lloyds' Defense 07 August and Allocation Questionaire.

The defense is a list of 9 points, is that normal?

One includes

'The charges are fair and reasonable, and it is denied that they are unlawful'!!!!!!

and another

'pursuant to regulation 6 of the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999, are not subject to the assessment of fairness'!!!!

are these normal defences???

Any comments are appreciated, Mat

Yes. The banks solicitor will try anything to put people off going ahead with their claims. They're making 4 million profit per day last I heard and they're worried this might decrease in the future with us all claiming unfair charges back.

• Confused 1

Hey guys!

Am I right in thinking that the bank have 28 days to submit their allocation questionaire from that date that they issued their defense (as did I)?

Thanks for your advice geteven!!! Eased my mind a little.

Dont really have time to come on much anymore as I have been looking for and am now starting a new job :) . Plus I have to use 'my' computer whilst sat on the floor at my girlfreinds house (which isnt that comfortable!:-| ) until I get my own place. But once I get settled I will be on here as often as I can giving advice and also asking for it hehe!

Basically all I would like to know for now is if anyone out there is at the same stage in their claim as me? i.e. sent off allocation questionaire and awaiting a response from the bank or court.

And thanks for your advice geteven!!! :)

After we had sent our AQ in we received received a copy of the Lloyds AQ from the court in which they ticked box for further 28 days to reach a settlement.

We then had a letter from solicitor (Sechiair, Clark & Mitchell) asking for a copy of our AQ (don't know why they did this as they get a copy from the court anyway).

We wrote back saying that we hadn't taken a copy but noticed that they had ticked box asking for further 28 days and asked why did they do this. We soon received a further letter with a settlement offer.

It seems that once they realise you really are prepared to go to court they start talking. I would sit tight and wait for the offer to come in. Remember when it does though not to accept any terms, especially the one about full and final settlement of this claim and any others. Also the one about confidentiality.

Good luck with new job.

Thanks walgrave, thats reassuring.

I have checked the deadline for when the allocation questionaire had to be in and it was the 24th august. With it now being the 03 september I am am slightly concerned that I have not received Lloyds' AQ; are they not on the same deadline as me? I should have had theirs by now shouldnt I? I even posted a copy of mine to them the same day I handed mine into the court.

So Im now concerned that the court have lost mine or something when I handed it in at the desk and nothing has progressed. Any advice anyone?

Ta, Mat

Phone or pop in to the county court your case is allocated to, and explain the situation to them - double check that they have recieved your AQ, etc :)

After that, it's a case of filing for judgement against Lloyds as it appears they have failed to return their AQ. Either that, or your CC is very behind on cases!

• Confused 1

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Nice to see you about again Reload x

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It's nice to be back :)

Just a quick update,

I called the CC today and they say they have received both mine and Lloyds' AQ. When I questioned as to why I hadnt received a copy of Lloyds' AQ the lady said that their solicitors are not obliged to send me a copy. Its done more out of courtesy.

Bl**dy cheek as I sent Sechiari Clerk & Mitchell solicitors a copy of mine via recorded delivery as I knew they would ask for a copy if I didnt; then they dont even bother to return the favor :mad: .

MMMMMmmmm....wonder what I should put in my snooty email/letter? Anyone have any ideas fo a laugh? :D + does anyone have their email?

The lady said its just a case of waiting to here from the court now to see whats going to happen. And theres a delay because theyre busy. Lame!

Mat

Hello...

This is slightly off tangent but I have a dilema with regards to my barcaycard claim. I sent my first approach letter (by email) to Barclaycard, within two days thier customer relationship manager replied saying he was looking into it. Now it has only been a week since iI first sent the email and this is what theyve offered me:

" Dear Mr Warren,

I write further to your email of 4th September 2006, your correspondence has been passed to me in order that I may investigate and respond in my capacity as Customer Relationship Manager.

With regard to your request for a refund of charges I am sorry you feel the charges you have incurred are unfair. We believe that our charges are both fair and transparent, and we make them clear in our Terms and Conditions, and on the reverse of every monthly statement. These charges are avoidable by staying within your limit and making your monthly payment on time.

However, as a goodwill gesture and without any admission of liability Barclaycard is prepared to credit to your account the difference between the charges that you have incurred and the £12 fee recommended by the OFT. In accordance with the charges incurred this would amount to £96.00. The adjustment will be confirmed on your September 2006 statement.

I hope that this now clarifies the situation. Should you have any further questions regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me. If my reply does not meet with your expectations you may ultimately be eligible to refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Further details of this service are available on request.

If I have not heard from you within 8 weeks from the date of this letter, I will close my file in accordance with our usual practice.

Barry Knowles

Customer Relationship Manager

Email: [email protected] "

Now, should I except this offer? Its only half of what Im claiming back, But seems reasonable in a way. But it has crossed my mind to say something on the line of:

'if you can show me that this is the cost incurred to you by me going over my agreed credit limit, then I will be happy to accept this; If you cannot then I would like to request a full refund' (By attatching the LBA letter)

Please please please reply with your opinions, even if you dont normally post. Also if anyone has any ideas of a reply I can send feel free to post it.

Many Thanks, Mat

Hi Mat,

Just my opinion but I would hold out for the full amount. I know what you mean by them being quite reasonable, at least more so than most of the other banks, but if they were willing to to refund half then they will know that if you took matters further, you would get the full amount.

If you are entitled to it, why settle for anything less???

Good luck with what you decide!

Take care,

Tracie icon10.gif

Mat, their actions have been unlawful, why should you accept their offer. I see it as totally unreasonable. I highly recommend that you do not accept this offer. Hold out be strong. Write back that you accept their offer as an interim payment (there is letter template for this in the bank templates library) however you will close this claim with courts until the full amount has been received.

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Thanks for your input Closey and Tracie, I think I will pursue the full refund. Any idea of when barclaycard give up and refund the lot?

Anyways, a quick update with regards to my Lloyds case, I still havent heard anything from the court, getting a bit frustrating now. Will call them on friday to see whats happening.

Mat