Clarification re overdrafts and defaults - help required

planetparker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am engaged in a very nasty battle with NatWest re three defaults on two loans and an overdraft. The overdraft is entirely made up of bank charges plus interest. I served them with a CCA s77 request - the two loan agreements can't be found and defaults have been removed (small victory for me after several years). However, NatWest have stated (correctly as I since discovered by reading posts on this website) that s77 does not apply to overdrafts.My question is, if overdrafts are not regulated agreements under the CCA, then can a default be registered? Natwest are refusing to remove the default on the overdraft because they say the CCA is not relevant and the overdraft is not regulated by the CCA. But I thought credit defaults can only be registered on regulated agreements? In order for a default to be registered with a credit reference agency, surely there has to be a signed agreement and repayment plan for a breach to take place? Can anyone help clarify this? I am unable to find a clear explanation of this elsewhere.Many thanksplanetparker

Capital One - DPA sent 13/06 (MCard) - have acknowledged DPA request, say they will send info shortly....

Egg - DPA sent 14/06 (2 Visa Cards) - standard request for identification document received in response to Data Protection Act

NatWest Current A/C - DPA sent 15/06 -initial estimate of claim is £4,358 plus interest (to be calculated) :-D

Morgan Stanley - DPA sent 15/06 (Platinum MCard) - have cashed my £10 cheque...no statements yet...

MBNA - DAP sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Barclaycard - DPA sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Bank of Scotland - DPA Letter sent 16/06 (Loan)

Beneficial Bank (HFC) - DPA sent 20/06 (Visa)

RBOS - (Visa and MCard) - DPA sent 23/06

Natwest (Visa) - DPA sent 23/06

To say it isn't regulated by the Act isn't entirely true.

An overdraft is running account credit but the agreement is different for overdrafts than for other credit agreements. Section 74 of the Act allows for certain types of agreement to be excluded from part V (form and content) where the OFT has so determined. This detemination (the Determination) regarding overdrafts under section 74 was made on 21 December 1989 subject to three conditions.

(a) That the creditor shall have informed in writing the OFT of his general intention to enter into agreements to which the Determination will apply;

(b) that...the debtor shall be informed at the time or before the agreement is concluded

- of the credit limit, if any;

- of the annual rate of interest and charges applicable from the time the agreement is concluded and the conditions under which these may be amended;

- of the procedure for terminating the agreement

and this information shall be confirmed in writing.

© that where a debtor overdraws his current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor and that account remains overdrawn for more than 3 months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing no later than 7 days after that 3 month period of the annual rate of interest and charges applicable.

My question is, if overdrafts are not regulated agreements under the CCA, then can a default be registered?
You seem to b confusing the two issues. There are many types of credit agreements which are not regulated e.g. most mobile phone contracts do not fall under the Act but this does not stop them registering a default for non payment. In your case you would challenge the default on the grounds that it is made up completely of charges.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi roryThanks for coming back so quickly. I am confused about the different kinds of defaults, because I have no written agreeement for the overdraft facility and nasty natwest never actually requested me to repay it before registering the default - which makes me mad!I have started my claim for the charges and am about to start Court action so hopefully this action will sort it out instead. One more question, if part © of the determination you posted has not been complied with, could the CCA apply and if so how?Thanks again

Capital One - DPA sent 13/06 (MCard) - have acknowledged DPA request, say they will send info shortly....

Egg - DPA sent 14/06 (2 Visa Cards) - standard request for identification document received in response to Data Protection Act

NatWest Current A/C - DPA sent 15/06 -initial estimate of claim is £4,358 plus interest (to be calculated) :-D

Morgan Stanley - DPA sent 15/06 (Platinum MCard) - have cashed my £10 cheque...no statements yet...

To comply with the Act and for the agreement to be enforceable they must comply with the Determination. I assume you have included the removal of the default as part of your claim?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi rory

Thanks for clarifying this, I think I might have them for not complying with the Act as well then.

I am asking for default removal as well as the charges refunded - I will let you know how I get on!