Charge for changing lender

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not a massive problem I know, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether I have to pay a charge for changing who my mortgage is with? I am currently changing my mortgage from the Halifax who have said I will have to pay a leaving fee of £175. It is nothing to do with release of deeds and my fix rate period ended in Jan, When I was told that if I stopped with them for another fixed term I wouldn't be charged next time, I started to wonder whether this was a fee that I didn't really have to pay if I said I was unhappy about it.

When I asked them for a break down of costs for this £175 I was sent a snotty letter saying that it was in the small print when I originally signed for the mortgage and nothing else.

Can I do anything?

Do you have the small print they are referring to?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

No I don't, I have been told that it was in one of the leaflets that comes with all the paper work and I have also had a look on a link from this site and it does say that when I arranged my mortgage the fee was at £175 so it looks like I'll have to pay it. It does get on my nerves though as apparently it only costs them around £30 to pass on a mortgage!