NHS National Database - The Big Opt Out Campaign

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The NHS Confidentiality campaign was set up to protect patient confidentiality and to provide a focus for patient-led opposition the government’s NHS Care Records System. This system is designed to be a huge national database of patient medical records and personal information (sometimes referred to as the NHS ’spine’) with no opt-out mechanism for patients at all. It is being rolled out during 2007, and is objectionable for many of the same reasons as the government’s proposed ID database.

YOUR PRIVACY

Your medical confidentiality is at risk from this new database, as over a million NHS employees and central government bureaucrats will have access to not only your medical records but also your demographic details—name, address, NHS Number, GP details, phone number (even if it’s ex-directory) and mobile number.

There is no opt out whatsoever for your demographic details. You can only have them hidden in special circumstances if the police or social services request it—if, for example, you are a celebrity or on a witness protection scheme. Many public and private sector workers will otherwise have access to your address and phone number, from social workers to pharmacists.

You will eventually be allowed to ‘lock down’ some of your medical details (though the security mechanisms haven’t been built yet). But although you can keep some of your medical details confidential from some of the doctors involved in your care, they can override this if they think it’s necessary, and there is no way for you to keep your information confidential from civil servants. You will no longer be able to attend any Sexual Health or GUM (Genito-Urinary Medicine) Clinic anonymously as all these details will also be held on this national database, alongside your medical records. For the first time everyone’s most up-to-date and confidential details are to be held on one massive database.

Click herefor more information, here for the latest news, and here to find out what you can do about it.

Hi MB

I asked the practice manager at GPs about this last year.

Her reply to me was that although it would be rolled out in 2008, every patient would receive a letter that would give them the opportunity to opt out of the system.

Unless things have changed in the mean time, i for one do not want all and sundry accessing my medical records and will be protesting to anyone who will listen.

Nother visit to MP methinks

Any update on this?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

So, should we contact our own surery to get a copy of their opt-out forms?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• 2 weeks later...

Devil's Advocate time - I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but the reassurance I get from knowing that if I was in a car crash somewhere else in the country the A&E staff could access my medical information far outweighs any worry I feel about the security of my medical records!

Devil's Advocate time - I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but the reassurance I get from knowing that if I was in a car crash somewhere else in the country the A&E staff could access my medical information far outweighs any worry I feel about the security of my medical records!

And if that were it's sole function, I might be inclined to agree. But the access is far too wide. And why would A&E need my phone numbers etc.

After the recent examples of data loss by government and its agencies, I am not inclined to give them anything more than the bare minimum that I am legally obliged to give.

And if that were it's sole function, I might be inclined to agree. But the access is far too wide. And why would A&E need my phone numbers etc.

After the recent examples of data loss by government and its agencies, I am not inclined to give them anything more than the bare minimum that I am legally obliged to give.

Again, not the popular opinion, I know, but I'd much prefer they had too much information than too little! Then again, any identity thief would be sorely disappointed if they tried to nick my ID, my credit rating's awful, I have no assets and can't drive, and I'm a poor student, so they wouldn't get too far! Maybe if I had more to lose I'd think differently.

Called in at my GP surgery last night, the receptionist didnt have the faintest idea what i was talking about in relation to the database.

She did say i was the second person this week to ask about it and to her knowledge there were no plans at present to upload anyones files from that surgery.

If this programme is supposed to be rolled out this year,with or without our consent, which is the best way of approaching the surgery? With a new GP having taken over i dont know if he has a stance on the subject yet.

The receptionist did say that if i bring in any forms ive downloaded it would go on my file and she would be interested in having a look.

Fills you with confidence doesnt it!

In principle i understand why it would make life easier to have all your info within easy reach, my fear is that we have no idea who will really have access to our files, no guarantee it will be secure and current levels of incompetance and mis-information make it difficult to have any real faith in the system.