Student Loans/Mackenzie Hall?

Hum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there noomill60, I will try and clarify my position as I am in desperate need of advice and guidance.

There are two debts involved here and I have a query with both.

Debt 1: This debt with student loans goes back to when I was a student from 1997 to 2001. I want on to do a Post grad in 2000 and presumed in my naivety that as I was still a student and no action would be required. This was not the SL's point of view, who insisted I should have deferred the loan following my undergraduate years. As I was still a student and had no way of repaying I was left with one option which was ignoring them for many years and it is for this I feel I had been unfairly treated. When I begun work I paid back some of this loan, but for a reason which I will go on to explain I left my work and am now unable to afford repayment.

I have recived all my account details from them, but I am unsure as to what to do next.

1. Can I fight their initial decision to call in the loan whilst I was still a student?

2. Now I have all this information, how does it help. Do I need to reclaim unfair charges and are there likely to be any?

3. Do I pursue a settlement, taking into account my circumstances?

4. Do I ask them to write off the debt taking into account my position?

Debt 2: has just recently come to light. I have received a letter from TNC Legal Services demanding Payment of the PGCE course or subsequent legal proceedings. I was told when I started the course that it was a legal requirement to do the course or I could lose my job or be on a lower pay scale, I was also told I would not have to pay for the course. I may have someone who will corroborate this. Today I have received a letter from Slone Portland Associates, Litigation Service Devision demanding payment or court proceedings may be instituted. What would be the best thing to do here?

If anyone can offer advice I would be very grateful

Many Thanks

H:(

• 2 months later...

To Update,

Debt 1:

I have written to SL offering to pay 40% of the debt pro rata at 10.92 per month. I have now received a letter from Mackenzie Hall requesting the money. Not sure what to do about this.

Debt 2

I wrote an offer of full and final settlement for £140, in return for my PGCE certificate. No reply from them.

I wrote to both around the 28th of February.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking through statement that I received from SL, It would seem that they have been charging interest twice in a month each month. Is this right? The two payments are around £3 and £13. Can anyone explain this?

Having Checked all admin charges it would seem that there were £129.74.

Haven't replied to McKenzie Halls request and I haven't heard from either.

• 1 month later...

The doorstep visit threat by Meritfarce is easily dealt with. Send this to MH or if Meritfarce write to you send it to them

Dear Cretins

DOORSTEP COLLECTION VISIT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

YOUR REF xxxxxxxxxx

I refer to your recent correspondence, the contents of which are noted.

I note it is your intention to arrange a “doorstep visit”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you or your agents.

There is only an implied license under Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and civil action will be taken.

With regard to debt 2 Did your employer send you on the course.

Send ALL letters recorded and doNOT sign any of them. It would help your case if you could get a letter from your employers saying that they were going to pay for the course.

They wont do it. If the worst comes to the worst then I have a witness who will state that they told us "that the course was mandatory and we wouldn't have to pay". This is now a common con from what I hear. It has all gone quiet on this front for now anyway since I told them that I had evidence to the contrary.

Thank you for your advice, will get the letter off this afternoon and keep you posted.

• 2 months later...

Hi ODC, Haven't heard anything from McKenzie Hall to date. Today I received a letter from Meritforce informing me of an authorized collector visit, and should the collector receive no positive comment towards clearing the debt, the account will be returned to the office for potential action. What would be the best way forward here, I was thinking I should send them the same letter as I sent Mckenzie Hall. Am I right in thinking this?

Hi ODC, Haven't heard anything from McKenzie Hall to date. Today I received a letter from Meritforce informing me of an authorized collector visit, and should the collector receive no positive comment towards clearing the debt, the account will be returned to the office for potential action. What would be the best way forward here, I was thinking I should send them the same letter as I sent Mckenzie Hall. Am I right in thinking this?

I hardly think that they would think you telling them to 'Get the Feck off my property'' would constitute a positive comment.:lol: Rather than have a doorstepper pollute your private property just send them the same letter as you sent Mac Hall. If you wanted to be nasty you could report Mac Hall for passing on a disputed debt but its hardly worth the price of a stamp.:lol:

Thanks ODC, will do so immediately! Though I would'nt mind setyting the dogs on them:D While I have your attention I have another financial issue which may become an issue if I don't deal with it properly.

I have another loan account with the AA for aprox £5000. Up Until recently I have been paying them £122 pounds every month. After losing my work due to illness I wrote them to tell them of the situation and would they except a reduced payment of £32 and if they could freeze the interest so that I could be paying the loan off in total. My reply was basically they did not make deals and I could make a payment of £40 and this would mean my debt would be in arrears. I have been doing this for a nearly 6 months now with no improvement to my situation except I am healthy again and trying to get some work going. We can just about manage the £40 a month but I feel that the debt will just increase with arrears mounting. I have one more month which they can except my reduced payment after which they will take legal proceedings. What is my best corse of action here. Write them with my reduced payment plan before the next payment is due?

Many Thanks for your help, it is good to slowly sort all this stuff out.

Regards

H

Offer them what you can afford. Thats all you can do. Just keep sending this to them. If they are foolish enough to bring you to Court this will count in your favour and a court will NOT make you pay more than you can afford. The AA will probably sell it on to some DCA for a fraction of its value to save themselves the hassle. I assume thehave a properly executed CCA for this loan

Yes they have, my own foolish fault, but it will be the last mistake I make regarding loans. Will pay for my goods outright from now on.

Many Thanks again

H

• 3 weeks later...

Received a letter from TNC Collections today regarding payment of PGCE course. Not heard from them since I made them an offer back in February.

They state that unless payment is received within the next seven day's, court proceedings will be instituted.

I think I will wait and see if they take me to court, do you think thats wise?

regards

H

• 2 weeks later...

My Partner keeps getting calls from someone from the Bank of Scotland asking for me when I am out. She called back the number and the line just kept going dead. I have never had anything to do with the back of scotland so I am wondering if this is a Student Loans trying to get into verbal conversation. Are they allowed to do this?

• 3 months later...

Ok Latest Update,

The university is taking me to court, can anyone offer any advice for pit falls to look out for. I am about to write my defense, would someone be able to read some drafts?

Many Thanks

H