• Tweets

• Do you intend to revise this thread's title assuming Labour win the general election?  
    • quite usual for couriers to swap parcel contents, though it could have been done by someone at the 1st address before it got to where it should have .... ebay. just to clarify as you seem to be not understanding/reading some posts correctly.   you should always ignore a dca totally unless you ever get a letter of claim in the post. you never ever ring a DCA.. they LIE. no!! no!! they dont own the debt, their txt says our client ebay. only the OWNER of a debt can take you to court. and ebay dont do court. i find it quite amazing that you have numerous threads about ebay/paypal regarding issues since you joined in 2011 but have never read any of the advice previously given. dx    
    • so where are the one with this HMTL link? and when were they sent.? pdf's merged and properly named. dx  
    • Hi Just had a wee look at your PDF and nothing really to add. Now as for the Court Fees if these are in there Claim then that is for the Judge to decide whether they accept the recovery of Court Fees in the Claim. If recovery of Court Fees are not in the Claim and they try to recover these via your deposit then you dispute this with the Tenancy deposit scheme your deposit is protected in and point out these costs should have been in there Court Claim which they failed to do and is there error.  
    • The postcode is an important point. You cannot be in two postcodes at the same time and the contract only covers the F area and not the E area where Met placed your car. See there is some   advantages in with idiots.🙂 The other fact about the electric spaces is that as you are not allowed to park there, the sign is prohibitory so cannot  offer a contract anyway. and another biggie in your favour is you were not the driver and the PCN does not comply with PoFA. I had another look yesterday at the PCN and there is another error since it does not say that the driver is responsible to pay the charge during the first 28 days. Schedule 4 Section 9 [2][b] (b)inform the keeper that the driver is required to pay parking charges in respect of the specified period of parking and that the parking charges have not been paid in full; so that is another nail in their coffin and it s something I would include in  your WS since that is one that every Judge would accept as a failure to comply. As far as their WS is concerned some of them leave it to the last minute to prevent Defendants being able to counteract their claims. However if they leave it too late [ie after the stipulated time] you can email yours to the Court on the last day and complain at the bottom of your WS that you have not received it and therefore you are asking the Court not to accept their WS. In your case it isn't that important since you have a virtual walkover in Court. I would be surprised if they don't concede beforehand. It is a lost cause for them. Not that I would advocate parking in their electric bay in future with a petrol driven car again.🙂
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Charge on my house ***WON***

polly55
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Polly,

I cant give you advice but morale support.

I have Nr taking me to court for a loan and will try a co on my property.

Did you admit the claim with the hsc to start with.

I will speak later.

Take Care

Womble

Polly have you got evidence that you have kept up to date with the payments on the instalment order?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hello there, Rory's question really is the absolute crux of the whole argument to move forward.

Section 1: The Charging Orders Act 1979:

Where, under a judgment or order of the High Court or a county court, a person (the debtor) is required to pay a sum of money to another person (the creditor) then, for the purpose of enforcing that judgment or order, the appropriate court may make an order in accordance with the provisions of this Act imposing on any such property of the debtor as may be specified in the order a charge for securing the payment of any money due or to become due under the judgment or order.

If there is an instalment order in place, a creditor would not be able to apply for a Charging Order.

Section 86(1) The County Courts Act 1984:

Where the court has made an order for payment of any sum of money by instalments, execution on the order shall not be issued until after default in payment of some instalment according to the order.

This was further considered in the case of Mercantile Credit V Ellis in The Court of Appeal 1987. It was found that the wording of the Charging Orders Act states quite clearly that no further action could be taken without a default in payment.

I hope this makes sense. If you have defaulted on the CCJ there are other arguments but this is something which would be BINDING on the judge.

Thanks so much for your responses. No I haven't defaulted. I make a regular monthly payment to Payplan, out of which they pay all my creditors, Weightmans being one. I have requested from Payplan that they send me evidence of the actual monthly payments to Weightmans and am waiting on that. However, they are supposed to be putting all their evidence into the court as well, which presumably will include the record of these payments. They know they're getting the money, why do they think they can get a charging order, do you think? :confused:

Thanks again

PS I am drafting a letter to send to the court manager, would you look at it and see if there is anything I should add or take out. Still waiting for information about the assignment of the debt, by the way. Requested it on 30th November recorded and still havent received anything.

The letter is fine. But I'd still persue the question of setting aside the orginal Judgment.

Cases where the court may set aside or vary judgment entered under Part 12 13.3 (1)In any other case, the court may set aside (GL) or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if –

(a)the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or

(b)it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why –

(i)the judgment should be set aside or varied; or

(ii)the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.

(2)In considering whether to set aside (GL) or vary a judgment entered under Part 12, the matters to which the court must have regard include whether the person seeking to set aside the judgment made an application to do so promptly.

(Rule 3.1(3) provides that the court may attach conditions when it makes an order)

(Article 19(4) of Council Regulation (EC) No 1348/2000 of 29 May 2000 on the service in the Member States of judicial and extrajudicial documents in civil or commercial matters applies to applications to appeal a judgment in default when the time limit for appealing has expired)

I think that failure to provide a copy of the CCA is a good ground for defence. As to failure to get it set aside earlier - you've been told now that it may be possible. There is no harm in trying and you have plenty to gain.

I have emailed my case officer at Payplan to confirm that the amount that they've been paying is as per the CCJ. I believe it is because just after the Judgement other creditors were being paid less and when I asked Payplan why, they said it was to take into account the increase to

Weightmans. In addition, in part A of Weightmans Application for Variation of Order (see previous post) they refer to the reason for the Application as being 'because at the current rate of payment of 35.78 a month' (the Judgement amount)it will take in excess of 15 years to discharge the Judgment debt'. I will post when I find out for certain.

Hi Polly,

Noticed you are beginning your defence against the charging order , so assume the interim order is in place and the final charging order is in January, to avoid the placing if the final charging order on our home we threw everything at our claimant including the following if applicable:Predujice to other creditors who are happy with Payplans current arrangement, equity within the property-ie. if not much then the placing ofa charging order could technically cause you to be insolvent again predjucing the other creditors, if the house is in joint names and the debt in one name this would mean that it is not fair for the other person to suffer for the actions of the debtor, if you have dependants then the interrests of the child outweigh those of the creditors. Also state that if they were successful in the placing of a charging order and then tried for an order of sale you would be unable to afford to private rent as that is really the only option as local authority housing is in very short supply. I started with the technical areas of the claim that I thought were slighly wrong ie inflalted costs, figures, our re-determination of the Judgement being ignored and than went for the moral arguments as listed above. Like you we understand we have to pay the debt back through Payplan and do not shirk from this, however the making final of the charging order could have made ir difficult to service all our creditors without predujice. It is also vital that you attend the hearing and put across your argument.

Hope some of this helps Polly,

Benson05

Thanks for all that Benson. Actually the hearing in January is to give HFC permission to apply for a charging order, which is what I'm defending. so no interim order is in place. But I'm bearing all your arguments in mind. Again, congratulations on your result.:)

Thanks for all that Benson. Actually the hearing in January is to give HFC permission to apply for a charging order, which is what I'm defending. so no interim order is in place. But I'm bearing all your arguments in mind. Again, congratulations on your result.:)

Polly, I'm slightly confused by this as a creditor's application for an Interim Charge is a process that doesn't need a hearing.

If you have not defaulted on the CCJ then ALL YOU NEED TO DO is to raise the Mercantile credit case.

Hello Sequenci

It's probably me that's confused but in the court papers (which I posted on this thread 12th December) the Application Notice says at Part A, no.2 'the claiminat be allowed to apply for a Charging Order over the Defendants property'. Does that mean the interim charging order already in place?

Also, I have sent my defence letter off to court Special Delivery today (see link in post dated 14th Dec.). Do you think I should send a copy to Weightmans. Still have not received a reply to my CPR request of 30th Nov.

no, nothing from the Land Registry

that is peculiar, usually if they have applied for the interim charge then everyone who has an interest in the property would receive info from them. have you the paperwork for the court hearing? does it say it is a hearing for the final charge?