CDi Credit Management - fake N1 for vets bill

ukiainib
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I thought the same with the OFT as well. My solicitor friend was of the same opinion and is going to check with one of the consumer law solicitors in his Company. When he comes back to me I will let you know what they said.

I have told them I won't be corresponding with them any further. My friend said that if I get another letter he will look at it and reply for me or just advise me to ignore and he says this will wind them up more! His belief is they just harrass and harrass on the basis that most people get fed up and give in and pay it to make it go away. As with you they have been threatening to take legal action, fine if they do I will raise a counterclaim! It is just a nusiance to deal with all.

Good luck. Let me know what happens and I will update you with anything I get my end.

Oh OFT advised me to contact Consumer Direct which I might just do and see what they say

Thanks

Tigger12

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Blade,

be very wary about going with these guys - we've had very little back from about £3000 we were owed.

I'd find a recommended company - we asked CDI about their bad reviews on forums before we paid our £500. They said it was problems they had had in the past. it seems the problems still exist.

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY MONEY!

The OFT have rung to speak to me - I was out but will post their response

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

It is so frustrating these days with all the methods But good to know (how ironic) that we are not alone.

I had been contacted by CDi some time back to follow up a debt I have outstanding.

My companies struggled with cash flow this year and recently had some payments in. I decided today that I would employ CDi, unsure though I thought I'd better check them out and found you guys...saved me a lot more trouble...many thanks.

Also I found this letter...I'm sure they won't mind me posting it to help others...

clip_image002.gif

June 2006

N E W S E X T R A

CDI Credit Management - A Name to Avoid

Many years ago, I had a bad experience with a debt collection agency, which ended with me having to sue them to recover fees paid to them in advance. I promised myself then that I would never deal with another debt collection agency. Since then, I have dealt with slow paying clients myself, taking recovery action through the County Court when necessary. This has generally worked well, except in a few cases where debtors have disappeared and I have no way of tracing them.

In September 2004, I was approached by a debt collection agency, CDI Credit Management, and I let them fax me with some information about their services. When I did not respond immediately, I was telephoned by one of their partners, Steve Hall. He was very persistent in trying to persuade me to sign up, and he assured me that they would generally be able to trace a missing debtor if I could give the date of birth and NI number.

Against my own advice, I agreed to sign up and paid a twelve-month subscription of £300 plus VAT, which was said to cover their administration, with their collection charges being covered by adding 15% to the debt when they collect it. I initially referred eight debts, all of which were people I had lost touch with. CDI accepted my instructions on 24 September 2004 and promised to give monthly reports on their progress towards collecting the debts. After that, things started to go wrong:

1.I was given my first “monthly” update by telephone on 8 November 2004; the only information about the eight debts initially referred was that they were now in the hands of the legal team.

2.On 15 December 2004, my secretary telephoned CDI and asked for the monthly update. She was told that it could not be given over the telephone (although the first one was) but it would be posted that week or early in the next week.

3.On 5 January 2005, I e-mailed CDI to say that I had still not received the monthly update.

4.Later on 5 January 2005, I did receive the monthly update by e-mail:

a.One debtor had been contacted, because I had supplied a new address.

b.One debtor had been traced but was likely to be declared bankrupt.

c.Three debtors had not replied to letters, but CDI did not make it clear whether or not they had actually traced their current addresses.

d.CDI admitted that they were unable to trace the other three debtors.

5.On 6 January 2005, I e-mailed CDI for more details of what they were doing to try to trace the missing debtors. They did not reply.

6.On 9 February 2005, I sent an e-mail reminder and also mentioned that my monthly update was overdue. CDI did not reply.

7.On 1 March 2005, CDI telephoned me to ask why I had not passed over any more debts recently. I pointed out that they were not doing much with the ones they already had and were not living up to their promises. I was told that the employee who had been dealing with my cases had recently left, but someone would call me back that day or the next. Nobody did.

8.On 3 March 2005, I e-mailed CDI to ask why no-one had called me back as promised. No reply.

9.I sent a further ten e-mails on various dates up to 24 March 2005 before someone actually responded by calling me on that day. I was told that the person dealing with my cases would call me the next week.

10.On 1 April 2005, I did receive a telephone call but I had to provide copies of the earlier, unanswered e-mails.

11.On 6 April 2005 I sent CDI an e-mail requesting a reply.

12.On 19 April 2005, I finally received a telephone call with my “monthly” update. All that had been achieved was an instalment arrangement from one of the smaller debtors; there had been no progress on the other seven.

13.I immediately wrote a letter to Steve Hall, the partner I had initially spoken to, complaining about the poor service I had received from CDI and inviting them to make an offer of compensation.

14.CDI replied in a letter dated 28 April 2005, declining my request for compensation.

15.On 3 and 4 May 2005, I made two telephone calls lasting 24 minutes in total in an attempt to speak to Steve Hall or any of the other partners. I was told that no-one was available.

16.On 5 May 2005, I sent a letter of complaint, clearly marked “private and confidential”, to Steve Hall at CDI, saying that I would commence County Court action to recover my subscription if I did not receive a satisfactory response.

17.On 9 May 2005, an employee of CDI telephone me to acknowledge receipt of my letter and say that Steve Hall had not yet arrived in the office. Who, then, had opened the letter addressed to him as private and confidential? I was promised that someone would ring back, but no-one did.

18.On 17 May 2005, I commenced action in Newark County Court to recover my subscription from CDI. They filed a defence only just within the time allowed and the case was listed for hearing on 4 October 2005.

19.On 20 September 2005, an employee of CDI rang me with my final “monthly” update, reporting no further progress. They also offered to settle my County Court claim by three instalments; I requested confirmation of their offer in writing.

20.On 23 September 2005, CDI wrote to me, now offering to pay in four monthly instalments rather than three. I wrote to the Court, anyway, to say that I would accept. I also wrote to CDI to request post-dated cheques; they did not reply and none of the instalments was ever paid.

21.On 22 November 2005, I applied to the Court for judgment, which was given on 14 February 2006. CDI ignored that and my letters of 17 February and 1 March 2006 requesting payment.

22.On 28 March 2006, I applied to the Court for a Warrant of Execution, so that my debt could be collected by the bailiff. He has to date (June 2006) made three calls and been unable to make contact with any of the partners at CDI Credit Management.

All of this shows how CDI has miserably failed to live up to its promises or provide a reasonable customer service. The only thing it seems to be good at is avoiding paying its own debts, which is ironic when it claims to be able to help businesses to deal with their own bad payers.

CDI Credit Management has its office at 3b, Colima Avenue, Sunderland Enterprise Park, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR5 3XB. The partners are Paul Hughes, Ian Williamson and Steve Hall.

Finally, I do have one apology to make to CDI: I had promised to publish this article on my website in December 2005, but I have only just got round to doing it.

June 2006

Since writing the above article, CDI Credit Management has finally settled my Court Claim. They could have refunded my subscription of £352.50 when I first complained in April 2005 but, by using their delaying tactics for fifteen months, they had to pay an extra £139.05 in Court costs and interest. That is an extra 39.5%, or 31.5% annually. It does not say much for the financial acumen of the partners if they consider that to be a worthwhile rate at which to borrow money.

I have spent the rest of the day tiring to find a way of collecting my debt and looked at countless different options.

I have used the court before and I am still waiting for settlement from someone who decided they didn't want to pay me late 2006.

For this reason I am somewhat reluctant to go down this route.

There is plenty of bad news about most DCAs but has anyone got anything good to say about a DCA or an alternative from the court that has brought results.

These times are getting harder and everyone in business is going to encounter this a whole lot more before things get better and with this country being geared up for the consumer who wishes not to pay we need as many strings as we can find.

I hope to hear good news and look forward to your sound advice.

Many thanks again...it's been a pleasure...cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this thread after doing a Google search. From personal experience i must agree with the majority of posts, do not deal with this company.

Their customers are small businesses such as mine who experience cash flow problems and say they will cure all. They took £300 of me and have not yet recovered one debt.

They don't return my calls or emails .

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear of your dealings with this company

Hopefully, if enough of us get the word out we can stop others falling into the same trap.

They also seem to have put their prices up if they got you for £500. Mine was £300.

Hi

I have just recieved a letter stating that a default notice has been registered againist me. According to Experian that is not the case and they can't do this because I have never had any credit agreement with the company concerned.

Could you put up a scan of this letter please

Anyone reading this thread may be interested in the following information, all of which is in the public domain.

CDI Credit Management does not have a consumer credit licence; it trades under a licence issued to Paul Hughes, a partner. This licence expired in September 2008. However, an application for renewal was submitted in Sept 08, and remains under consideration by the OFT. A further application for a new licence, in the name of CDI Credit Management, was submitted at the same time. It is legal for Hughes to continue trading whilst the application is considered. Part of the application is to add 'C.D.I. Credit Management' as a trading name.

In respect of Paul Hughes's licence, the records show that the OFT issued, in respect of a renewal, a 'minded to refuse' notice in Feb 2006, and a 'determination to refuse' notice in Jun 07. However, an appeal was successful in Apr 08. It is not known what caused the OFT to take action to refuse to renew Hughes's licence.

Anyone who has information that they think the OFT ought to consider in respect of the applications made by Hughes and CDI Credit Management can contact:

Office of Fair Trading

Consumer Credit Licencing Fitness Team

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Salisbury Square

London, EC4Y 8JX

Note that whilst the OFT does not deal with individual complaints from consumers and traders, they will accept information that may be relevant to a business's or individual's fitness to hold a licence.

Complaints about either CDI Credit Management, or Paul Hughes as the holder of the consumer credit licence, should be made to the complainant's local Trading Standards department, with a request that the matter be passed to Sunderland City Council Trading Standards Department.

Anyone interested in viewing the OFT Consumer Credit Licence database for themselves can do so at the Public Register. For information relating to Hughes and CDI, enter 0242467 in the 'licence number' box.

Edited by ScarletPimpernel
Clarification of further info from OFT and TS details

• 4 weeks later...

After Trading with this company now for 8 months i have to say USELESS is to kind of a word to use,they don't answer emails,return telephone calls or even respond to complaints. You are supposed to recieve an update on the 22nd of each month,we had two updates in total god knows where the other six went. at one point i wondered if they were still trading cos you just can't get hold of anyone. All managers seem to work part time cos they never put you through to one,all staff go on lunch together at 12 midday,and when you've left a message four or five times that day cos when there back from lunch there then conveniently all on other calls or in a meeting,so after a lengthy exhausting battle with CDI there owner steve hall finally got in contact with me and was to say the least not really brushed up on his own customer service skills,he explained i may have not recieved the customer service i should have. I didn't recieve any customer service,so after having a money for a lengthy time and doing no work i suggest IF YOU ARE APPROACHED BY CDI CREDIT MANAGEMENT DO NOT GIVE THEM THE TIME OF DAY!! When i asked them about all the negative threads about them on the internet they simply said they can't collect everyones debts and some people don't understand that and thats why they have retaliated online. Some how they obviously haven't got the point. But anyway i have now been sent a refund for £587.50 which is long overdue but if you are experiencing problems with this company whom personally need to be on BBC ROGUE TRADERS complain to the OFT you may have to go official on them because they don't respond to usual requests there all to busy having meetings,days off and lunch breaks!!!:p

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just been reading your reviews on CDI, it looks like I'm another 'sucker'; to fall into there trap of cold calling our company offering credit managment.

I paid for there services Oct 08, and to date they have not recovered any debt. the last few months I have had no update etc etc.

I have wrote letters of complaints and now thinking of taking it further to recover my £500 plus VAT to use there services!!!

Can anyone help on my next move ??

Has anyone used Daniel Silver or any reports on them ???

I'm desperate to recover some outstanding debt but unsure of my next move but I know something I WILL NOT be renewing CDI

Anyones help would be much appreciated.

Your next move has to be writing a letter to the OFT and sending a copy to steve hall of cdi, when they recieve it and they know you mean business,stand your ground and don't let them offer you anything else but a full refund. They tried to offer me 3 months extended membership (as it thats gonna make any difference). I think what this company does is takes people money hope they get fed up calling and when there membership runs out they have 500 quid for doing nothing!

When they phone you to say they'll chase all your debts within 60 days or your money back,DON'T AGREE WITH TO IT! They tried that with me and it was just stalling tactics tell them unless you get a full refund within 28 days you'll proceed further with your OFT Complaint.

I've started doing my research ever since i got caught out by CDI CREDIT MANAGEMENT OF SUNDERLAND and it helps to know who you are dealing with. I very much doubt they'll be trading for much longer!!

We have since used EULER HERMES UK which are a very reputable company and they charge nothing up front for any work carried out!!

Good luck keep us updated.x

Thank you for your quick reply and I will look into the company you suggested.

I will let everyone know how it goes at getting my money back just hoping I'm as lucky as you!!!

I spoke to a 'Progression solicitors' yesterday and they offer debt collection. For a solicitors I thought there prices were ok, at only £5.00 for a letter and 15% debt collected

Anyone used solicitors for debt recovery if so any luck or does it become too expensive witht he legal fee's incurred etc ?

As you have probably noticed I'm quite new to all this only setting up a company 2 years ago which I can say is going ok in these strange times of economic reccession so any advice would be very much appreciated.

With any solicitors through a firm are always going to be costly as they are simply there for the legal side of things when it becomes a legal process you are going down costs incurred can spiral out of control and if you are unlucky to nail the person who owes you,its you left paying the bill not them. Debt collection is there mainly for pre-legal routes,so they take a commission based on performance,the more they collect the more they earn,they are mainly sales people of you like. We have had the pleasure (imao) of chasing people for money and exhausted many routes,we have done extensive research on companies and only now are we truly learning the difficulty. But as a wise chap once said to me about companies whom charge for work upfront with no promised outcome "they can't expect money for work they haven't done" since i was told this i have been nowhere near companies who offer "memberships". removed.. are one of the biggest companies certainly in the UK and overseas,they charge nothing upfont and offer the full service right through to legal (if you have to take that route),the good thing about these big firms is that they look into the behind the scenes info- whether they have cars,houses or reasonable assets they can freeze,they will also advise you whether they have not got a bean-this helps you decide which route to take is going to be the easiest and lower in costs.

Please though remember this is based on my experience.

hope you stand you groud with cdi!

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to thank everyone for their posts on this company as they've just nearly caught me in their trap. They're asking for £350.00 plus VAT for one year's contract for credit management, which I don't really need as I do this In House quite effectively and using the on-line County Court when really necessary. They hooked me with the promise of collections of old debts of up to six years. With Limited Companies I didn't think this was possible, but they assured me it is. Well I have taken advise elsewhere and followed these posts and am now sure I am right. My instincts were telling me I was being rolled over and thanks to your posts, I am saved! :D Thank you all

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, they didn't hassle me after I told them I'd decided not to sign up with them, which I had expected; I believe they are aware that the word is out there so they are having to be careful due to the complaints being made to the FSA

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just to to be clear... the link I posted above is not the official CDi Credit Management website, it's a replica of their .com site which has been set-up by people who have used CDi.

I bought into the CDi Credit Management offering myself, I came across this forum whilst digging for dirt after they failed to deliver. I would have laughed, if they hadn't already took me for £600..!!

Seriously, this CDi firm are in my opinion not good. Personally, I'm not sure if it's a questionable company, or just an absolutely appalling level of service which leaves most of their customers feeling cheated. From my experience, I suggest it's questionable.

DO NOT be tempted to do business with CDi Credit Management: link edited

link removed, but its easy to find if you do a search on google for CDi Credit Management :wink:

Edited by MARTIN3030

I love it; this site is a hoot. Thank you Thank you whoever you are; I've said it before, if it wasn't for this site forum I would have "lost" £350.00 as they gave me the same pack of edited. I don't think its a total [problem] as they do do credit searches on behalf of some of their customers, of that I'm sure, but can't say how I know that. But clearly they are edited about being able to collect aged debts from liquidated limited companies as that is not possible. It's important to do the research before you give anyone money, not afterwards. They have to do some legitimate work or they would lose their licence to trade. Then they can continue to edit small business owners with their edit and live their life of luxury.

Edited by HSBCrusher
please be careful as to what you post ;-)

looks like you already did !

Just use a little more tact and caution with words :)

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.