kensington mortages/lost my home

abroadgirl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi is there anything i can do?

my hubby became ill on 31st dec 05 at 11-45pm just before the bells for new year i wont go into it all it is such a long story but to cut it short he had a slipped disc and chronic siatica, so i told the kensington mortgage and they said they would send payment protection etc the norm like they do, anyway we had never been in arears once uintill 3 months after being told that we were inarears i said i dont think so we have never been inarears apprently pp/p was only paying £394.00 a month we thought they were paying the full amount so we agreed to pay £150 a month they phoned to ask can we pay more i said no we carnt we carnt afford to pay this we thought that p/p were paying the morgage if not why arnt they paying the full amount etc but no they didnt we went to see a soliciter as we owed £954 arears cut along story short kensington took us to cout we thought with hubby being made retired under ill health and royal mail said it was best to finish him because of the chronic siatica hubby didnt want to but mr crossley said it was best and had taken what hubby had said into concideration it was there disseion, anyway again curt along story short rather than move we sold our house under seel your house and rent back so now we have lost our home and are now renting i still to this day say this should never have happened and that all the charges they put on it put it in arears of over two thousand with court costs soliciters fees fee here n there fees for this n that i was mad. plus they added an extra £50 every month arears fee we are so upset

A sorry tale - and whilst you may not be able to get your house ownership back, you might want to get a full statement from the mortgage holder so you can see how the charges were compiled and ask for them to be explained, challenging all those you think are unfair.

Regarding the problem that started all this - have you discovered WHY the insurance company were paying short? It might be worth the effort to find out why.

• Haha 1

Guest weegirl
apprently pp/p was only paying £394.00 a month we thought they were paying the full amount

Was your name on the mortgage as well? If so, some policies will only pay 50% of the insured amount as you were not claiming for yourself.

Ah - this could be the reason, they look for any reason to mitigate their exposure- so since your ability to pay was not compromised, only a percentage of the debt would be paid, leaving to to pay your half (as it were) even though in real life that probably didn't happen, as your contribution may have been in other ways. It's a shame it happened this way as if you knew what was being paid, you could have explained your contribution to the household costs were via food/utilities etc with hubby only paying the mortgage 100%. I understand there is discretion for them to accept this and pay accordingly, but it's a bit late now....

Guest weegirl

Unfortunately this knowledge is too late for you, but for any others out there in a situation where the mortgage is in joint names, just ensure your insurances are sorted.

I know this stuff is boring - that's why people pay mugs like me to take care of their finances(!) - but it is so important. Some insurance companies used to pay all of the mortgage if the male was out of action, but only half for the female side of the deal, but that has been scrapped now as times have changed, the smallprint usually states 50/50 .

When taking out a policy, or if there is a change in circumstances, ensure that the breadwinner is completely insured. If you can't get a policy to do this if both names are on the mortgage, then one name needs to come off, but can stay on the deeds to protect the ownership.