• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hearing to remove stay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that way DG will be able to actually check how accurate your info is:):):)

I thought of that, but will it not give them time and ammo to defend when I see the Judge? Thought I could hold back that info? I think we need to go for a new ploy here and attack DG too with letters threatening them with evidence etc...You never know and also it takes their time up and forces them to send barristers/ lawyers to the hearings to waste their money!!!! Also every court fee is refundable is it not as long as the test case goes our way?

Just depressing the way Judges are looking on this at the moment...

Penfold

I think you should give the Judge as much relevant information as posible. And make it easy for him to read. Highlight any points that are most relevant so he/she can read it at a glance!

Absolutely Freaky,

I think the ball game has changed and we too need to rethink the strategy.

Information to the Judge, before a hearing I feel is the way forward now and put the emphasis on them not to cop out of making the right decision...

Penfold

Penfold,

I was in Leeds mercantile court,on the 29th Aug,and one portion of your 'objections'was in fact used by the Judge as a reason to apply the stay.You say in the 'equal footing' part of the CPR,that basically you could not afford to fight 'heavyweight lawyers'.The Judge commented on that and said ,'BUT the OFT can and they represent the consumer',so therefore it tends towards supporting the stay.

Just thought you should know

Interesting view of things by that judge!

Ok so if the judge is seeing that the claimants have little money to spare, he/she should take on board the point that the banks should not be able to continue to apply cahrges in the meantime if he allows the stay!

The more judges that agree to this the better. It will force the banks into getting it sorted sooner rather than dragging it out.

Unfortunately I have only seen one judge do this so far but I think it is the route to go if the stays are allowed to stand!

Penfold,

I was in Leeds mercantile court,on the 29th Aug,and one portion of your 'objections'was in fact used by the Judge as a reason to apply the stay.You say in the 'equal footing' part of the CPR,that basically you could not afford to fight 'heavyweight lawyers'.The Judge commented on that and said ,'BUT the OFT can and they represent the consumer',so therefore it tends towards supporting the stay.

Just thought you should know

They have not met my arguing skills yet...LOL Anyway thanks for that and I will read your posts to see what happened. I would say that the County Courts lucky do not set a precedence and so I doubt my Judge or DG will be too aware of those points. I will argue it out in a slightly different way I hope...

Penfold

What he also did say,was that the banks could not carry out any 'enforcement'action on accounts comprising mainly disputed charges,otherwise the stay would immediately be removed,as it would if the banks appeal his order.

Did he or anyone bring up the number of successfully defended cases by HSBC? Or perhaps the total amount of money their clients have paid out so far? Link these together and may a case starts to appear...

Ok got my court hearing details through, but am confused here…

Notice of hearing

TAKE NOTICE that the application Hearing will take place by telephone

XX XX 2007 at XX:XXPM

At Luton County Court, address……..

20 MINUTES has been allowed for the Hearing

Sorry what does this mean? The Defendant’s Legal Representative is ordered to arrange the telephone hearing.

Does this mean we all speak on the phone or I am with the Judge and the Defence is on the phone? This is not what is wanted at all…

Advice please…

Penfold

Well thats an interesting move...

Telephone hearings are relativly new, its basicaly a conference call between the Judge, you the claimant, and the defendant HSBC/DG. It does say at Luton CC so I think you need to phone the court to see exactly what the judge wants.

DG normaly are ordered to set them up but ive only seen 2 or 3 of these directions, and all before the test case was announced Johnnymitch had a telephone hearing listed for his claim but they settled as they always did. will ask him to have a look at your thread to see if he can add anymore :).

will be interesting to see how DG react to this

pete

Yes I had two of these telephone hearings ordered , one for HSBC and one for Barclays. They were ordered to set these up and apparently it's dedicated connections for a set amount of time etc. and it's costly.

As you say pete, both chickened out and coughed up - but I don't know how they'll play this one now. Might it be worth an old-fashioned 'nudge letter/phone call' to DG pointing out that all this hassle and cost could be avoided if they just settle before the hearing date? - you never know.........they might make a 'Goodwill offer' .

It would be a good idea as you say, pete, to phone the court and ask just what action they want from you Penfold - then you can come back if you need further advice from there.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but since OFT got involved I don't think anybody knows which way the banks will jump.

(Mine was Hitchin County Court btw), but Luton CC was where Judge Abrahams ordered Barclays not to levy any more charges until the OFT case was sorted.

John

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Cool, that sounds interesting, butmeans my letters need to hit the Judge and DG well before this date then...Then we will see how they play. I just need the Judge to read it before hand...I guess if I send it and then state first thing, did you read it your worship and can you please ask the questions... Also DG may not want to take the risk...If he says he did not then I maybe I have a case to say well either postpone again or does not mattter as DG were warned and you can read now your Worship...

Penfold

my view is it is VITAL the JUDGE gets to see it first, DG well, last minute fax to them woudl be appropriate...... again only my view but thisis a costly excersise for them, it also takes outthe intimidations factor.....of having a Barrister come up and introduce themselves adn puff out thier chest with you are going to lose......

agian only my view but this judge has doen oyu a favour (i think) my gut feeling is they will nto set it up, make you an offer before it and ask you to cancel the hearing, like they are doing with others.......

but I could be wrong.........:D

rockin all over the world

I think you're right, Auburn, - although it may be better to catch DG in case they set the telephone thing in motion, - once they've done that they won't go back on it, - but give them an out beforehand...........?

I do think the Judge is doing you a favour, Penfold, he's probably hoping that they'll pull out as well. And as it worked just along the road in Hitchin .... might even be the same judge! Anyway, I think the first thing is to see what the court says and take it from there.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I am glad you have pointed that out because I was thinking I was missing something here!

You need to have all the reasons ready to relay over the phone because I think the hearing will go ahead.

If I am understanding this correctly

the court awarded a stay.

you asked for hearing for application for removal of stay.

court has allocated a telephone hearing.

You must ring the court and ask for clear directions on what they require you to do with regards the hearing!

You are right that this puts a different slant on it , Freaky, but they'd have to be pretty sure they're going to get this stay to lash out on a telephone hearing. Question is, if they don't set it up - what happens? Does the judge find for the claimant or just leave the stay in anyway?

You are also right that Penfold needs to be ready to argue against a stay anyway, in case they do set up the telephone hearing.

Nemo me impune lacessit

You are right that this puts a different slant on it , Freaky, but they'd have to be pretty sure they're going to get this stay to lash out on a telephone hearing. Question is, if they don't set it up - what happens? Does the judge find for the claimant or just leave the stay in anyway?

You are also right that Penfold needs to be ready to argue against a stay anyway, in case they do set up the telephone hearing.

They have already got the stay. This is a hearing to have it set aside.

Do the directions say that they have to set it up Penfold?

Oh I will be no wrories there. I have two letters being fired out tomorrow... I lovely one to DG asking for lots of info that they will ignore, and another to the Court/ Judge asking him to ask specific questions at the hearing. This should be interesting... I am trying a new ploy/ route, but for obvious reasons do not want to discuss this too much right now.

Any ideas on backing up the set aside the stay letter would be appreciated...

Penfold