• Tweets

• You will probably get a couple more reminders followed by further demands fro unregulated debt collectors with even increasing amounts to pay. They are all designed to scare you into paying.  Don't. It's a scam site and they do not know who was driving and they know the keeper is not liable to pay the PCN. Also the shop was closed so they have no legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear. So to charge £100 is a penalty as there is no legitimate interest which means that the case would be thrown out if it went to Court.  Keep your money in your wallet and be prepared to ignore all their letters and threats. Doubtful they would go to Court since a lot more people would not pay when they heard  MET lost in Court. However they may just send you a Letter of Claim to test your resolve.  If yoy get one of those, come back to us and we will advise a snotty letter to send them.  You probably already have, but take a look through some of our past Met PCNs to see how they are doing.
    • Hello, been a while since I posted on here, really hoping for the same support an advice I received last time :-) Long, long story for us, but basically through bad choices, bad luck and bad advice ended up in an IVA in 2016. The accounts involved all defaulted, to be expected. In 2018, I got contacted by an 'independent advisor' advising me that I shouldn't be in an IVA, that it wasn't the solution for our circumstances and that they would guide us through the process of leaving the IVA and finding a better solution. I feel very stupid for taking this persons advice, and feel they prey on vulnerable people for their own financial gain (it ended with us paying our IVA monthly contribution to them)-long and short of it our IVA failed in 2018. At the same time the IVA failed we also had our shared ownership property voluntarily repossessed (to say this was an incredibly stressful time would be an understatement!) When we moved to our new (rented) property in August 2018, I was aware that creditors would start contacting us from the IVA failure. I got advice from another help website and started sending off SARs and CCAs request letters. I was advised not to bury my head and update our address etc and tackle each company as they came along. Initially there was quite a lot of correspondence, and I still get a daily missed call from PRA group (and the occasional letter from them), but not much else. However, yesterday i had a letter through from Lowell (and one from Capital One) advising that they had bought my debt and would like to speak with me regarding the account. There will be several.of these through our door i suspect, as we did have several accounts with Capital One. Capital One have written to us with regular statements over the last 5 years, and my last communication with them was to advise of of our new address (June 2019), I also note that all of these accounts received a small payment in Jan2019 (i'm assuming the funds from the failed IVA pot). Really sorry for the long long post, but just thought id give (some of) the background for context.... I guess my question at the moment is.....how do I respond to Lowell...do I wait for the inevitable other letters to arrive then deal with them all together or individually...? Do I send them a CCA?  Many thanks
    • hi all just got the reminder letter, I have attached it and also the 2nd side of the original 1st pcn (i just saw the edit above) Look forward to your advice Thanks   PCN final reminder.pdf pcn original side 2.pdf
    • The airline said it was offering to pay $10,000 to those who sustained minor injuries.View the full article
    • The Senate Finance Committee wants answers from BMW over its use of banned Chinese components by 21 June.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Plutos vs. Natwest **WON**

Plutos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Plutos, I am at almost at the same stage as you, sent Cobbetts the letter about CP Part 18 being intimidating etc and am awaiting the response. I too am quite happy to go all the way to court. I don't think NatWest realise just how strong we are on here and how much support we give each other. They hope that we are going to shrivel up and go away but they are in for a big shock. I have my CAG t-shirt which I bought after successfully reclaiming my money from HSBC and I would love to wear it into the Natwest offices in London where Cobbetts work from and hand them a breakdown of charges but I live too far away :Cry:

I use smartstamp so I print my own envelopes and stamps. I use the CAG logo on the envelope too so they should know not to intimidate me!

It shouldn't be much longer now. If they hadn't taken our money in the first place there would be no need for all of this. I think they may be squeezing their buttocks right now! I would love to go to court and tell the judge how they enticed me into more and more debt to avoid these charges and how I eventually clocked up £18,000 worth of loans and overdraft when my earnings were a paltry £101 per week plus £40 child benefit. That was nearly three times my annual income. All this did was make them more money, cause me severe depression and a very close nervous breakdown. Lets see how they justify that. I am sure 3 x my annnual income will be seen as irresponsible lending by the judge - oh, and the fact the the branch manager made up an income by claiming that a few paypal payments that had recently gone into my account were part of my income - I flogged a few of my clothes on ebay because I was so skint.

I'll keep watching your thread with interest. If they pay you soon then hopefully mine won't be long either.

Keep up the good work! :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

007 Coot,

Thanks for that. I find it amazing that they dare fight for this, especially in a case like yours. They fit the lawyer sterotype by using jargon, intimidation and timewasting to fight for a legally incorrect and morally wrong position. Amazing!

I have a very stong degree from a top university, and I have been working within the personal finance industry for the last year or so giving me plenty of time to read around these issues - and lots of confidence to take them on in court if necessary!

I will take great pleasure in argueing this case before a judge. Whilst I was, perhaps, less careful than many with my account as a student (although like leaving a window unlocked, this does not excuse the immorality of the thief), others like yourself have been in truely life-destroying siutation, brought on entirely by these illegal charges.

How can £38 for a bounced direct debit be proportional? As well as being unfair, when someone earns £101 a week, this represents well over a third of their weekly income - this is morally repulsive.

Where are the media picking out the banks (like snatchwest) that charge these astronomical sums? Why has the OFT not hit the banks hard? -- and i'm not talking a pussy £12 cap; a level that is still utterly illegal (credit card firms are not at all willing to defend even £12 charges).

Anyway, we are now correcting this situation.

Pl

SNATCHWEST and NOBBETS no scare me!

just a thought, do i need to respond to this letter:

We refer to your letter dated 8th September.

We note your comments on our request for further information. It is our client's contention that your Particulars of Claim did not properly particularise your claim. For example, our client cannot properly defend a claim where you have not given the details of each charge you claim is disproportionate and unreasonable.

The court is bound with an overriding objective to deal with cases justly and ensure that parties are on an equal footing. It was clearly the case that our client could noy respond your claim where you did not provide sufficient particulars. Our client therefore objects to your allegation that the Request is intimidating.

Yours Faithfully,

Cobblers LLP

I have not send anything so far.

Pl

Hi, i must be at the same stage as you, i got my letter 2 days ago worded exactly the same, i replied to day with something like -

I have enclosed a breakdown of these charges with every letter sent to NatWest regarding this claim. I am quite surprised that they did not give you the full facts of the claim before asking you to act on their behalf.

Hopefully it won't be to long now and we will be laughing all the way to the bank with out natwest cheque

Good luck

I would still to ignore it, you've given your answer in your previous letter.

However:

Dear Sir,

I refer to your letter dated XXX

I note your comments on my allegation that your CPR Part 18 request is intimidating. It is my contention that my Particulars of Claim did properly particularise my claim. For example, a schedule of charges, which fully details each charge I claim is disproportionate and unreasonable, has been sent to your client, the court and yourselves at every stage.

I agree that the court is bound with an overriding objective to deal with cases justly and ensure that parties are on an equal footing. It was clearly the case that your client could respond to my claim since I have provided sufficient particulars. I object therefore to your allegation that your client was not on an equal footing.

Yours faithfully.

Thanks michael, I might drop a copy of this in the post as I think it is only poite and reasonable to at least respond (even if they do write ridiculous letters)

PL

I would still to ignore it, you've given your answer in your previous letter.

However:

Dear Sir,

I refer to your letter dated XXX

I note your comments on my allegation that your CPR Part 18 request is intimidating. It is my contention that my Particulars of Claim did properly particularise my claim. For example, a schedule of charges, which fully details each charge I claim is disproportionate and unreasonable, has been sent to your client, the court and yourselves at every stage.

I agree that the court is bound with an overriding objective to deal with cases justly and ensure that parties are on an equal footing. It was clearly the case that your client could respond to my claim since I have provided sufficient particulars. I object therefore to your allegation that your client was not on an equal footing.

Yours faithfully.

Hi, i must be at the same stage as you, i got my letter 2 days ago worded exactly the same, i replied to day with something like -

I have enclosed a breakdown of these charges with every letter sent to NatWest regarding this claim. I am quite surprised that they did not give you the full facts of the claim before asking you to act on their behalf.

Hopefully it won't be to long now and we will be laughing all the way to the bank with out NatWest cheque

Good luck

That's the exact sentence I ended my letter with. great minds think alike ey?

Just thought of something, If cobbetts claim their client knows nothing about the particulars of claim and they don't know what we are claiming for or why then why on earth did they make me an offer as a gesture of goodwill at pre-lim stage? Surely you wouldn't offer a payment for something you continually deny you know nothing about?

Could this be added to the above letter (posted by the lovely Michael Browne)and if so how should it be worded to look professional?

Ha ha - very true.

I got a copy of their allocation questionnaire over the weekend. How strange that they say thay anticipate the claim going down the small claims track when they have been making CPR 18 requests and the like! Silly billys don't understand the way it works.

The allocation questionnaire contained nothing special really - pretty much ticked all the boxes that I ticked.

PLUTOS

Just thought of something, If cobbetts claim their client knows nothing about the particulars of claim and they don't know what we are claiming for or why then why on earth did they make me an offer as a gesture of goodwill at pre-lim stage? Surely you wouldn't offer a payment for something you continually deny you know nothing about?

Could this be added to the above letter (posted by the lovely Michael Browne)and if so how should it be worded to look professional?

Hi Plutos, as you know, we are neck and neck, I havent received a copy of cobbetts A/Q yet though, they have till the 29th to send it in to court, they were 8 days late with their defence, so I am wondering how late they will be with this, I am so longing to see you put the words I won up on your thread, come to think of it, I am longing to put those same words up myself :D

CHRIS WATKINS

Hi Plutos, as you know, we are neck and neck, I havent received a copy of cobbetts A/Q yet though, they have till the 29th to send it in to court, they were 8 days late with their defence, so I am wondering how late they will be with this, I am so longing to see you put the words I won up on your thread, come to think of it, I am longing to put those same words up myself :D

Definitly, can't wait. And the donation, and the time we can spend helping others, and the case against Natwest Credit Card and Capital one (albeit for small amounts). Should be the best.

I really thought that it could have been 'the first' offer the other day... oh well, lets wait and see. No chicken coiunting until the fat lady comes home to roost etc etc etc

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that I am also at a similar stage as you are.

I have my AQ infront of me and am wondering whether I should post it off immediately or wait a while?

Also I cant seem to find as to whom I make my £100 AQ cheque out to, does anyone know?

To be honest when setting out on my case I found it quite fun and enlightening but now I am finding it rather tedious. However nothing is going to stop me getting my money back!!!!

Thank you for your help and good luck ;)

Y

Credit Cards

Barclaycard -WON! Amex - WON! MBNA (x2) - WON!

Mint - WON! Monument - WON! Morgan Stanley - WON!

Egg - WON! Halifax - WON! Sainsbury's Bank - WON!

Citi Cards -WON!

Banks

08/06/06 Claim against NatWest started.

01/11/06 Case Closed :)

08/06/06 Claim against Halifax started

24/08/06 Case closed :)

Visit my forum: http://www.planet-watch.org/forum

i'd do it asap - no point in waiting around!

PL

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that I am also at a similar stage as you are.

I have my AQ infront of me and am wondering whether I should post it off immediately or wait a while?

Also I cant seem to find as to whom I make my £100 AQ cheque out to, does anyone know?

To be honest when setting out on my case I found it quite fun and enlightening but now I am finding it rather tedious. However nothing is going to stop me getting my money back!!!!

Thank you for your help and good luck ;)

Y

Got the first offer yesterday.....

£600

Pretty standard, not letting them get away with this. I'll write and fax the reply of this morning. At the end of the day, I'm quite happy to stand up and demolish any arguement for the validity of these charges!

{P:L:U:T:O:S}

Hi Plutos,

We're at about the same stage and the 'first offer' letter has landed. Has yours arrived yet?

OK. I can't seem to find a 'perfect' letter, but will this do?;;;;;

---------

PLutos

The Doghouse

Woof-woof street

Cruftville

Cobbetts LLP

Ship Canal House

King Street

Manchester

M2 4WB

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your letter dated xx/09/06

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £9xx.xx, interest at 8% per year of £7x.xx under sec. 69 of the County Courts Act of 1984 (for the period 17th October 2002 until 31st July 2006) plus interest at the same rate up to the date of Judgement, and the Court Fee already incurred of £120.00.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will still continue to pursue the remainder.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

[signature]

[print name]

Letter sounds good to me, I am only a day beind you so hopefully I will hear something tomorrow or monday. I am posting my AQ today (had to wait until i got paid so i could send of another cheque). Did you photocopy yours and send it to Cobbetts?

Guest peed orf

Hi all, mind if I stick me nose in?

I had a cheque sent back from the court a couple of months ago, with a note saying they have to be made out to H.M.C.S. (Her Majestys Court service)

Hi all, mind if I stick me nose in?

I had a cheque sent back from the court a couple of months ago, with a note saying they have to be made out to H.M.C.S. (Her Majestys Court service)

Ooops! I thought it was a bit strange not having any payment instructions but hey, too late for me now! Looks like it will be sent back then. Think I might give them a ring and explain, maybe I can cancel my cheque and send another today to avoid delay if the court agree.

Thanks for "sticking your nose in" as you put it! that's what we need around here!

cheers