• Tweets

• Yes only with dwf. The first letter I received was explaining that I have not responded to the first letter they sent which I did not receive at all and then the second letter came they said again saying we have not heard from you we are extending this another 14 days but at that point a couple of days before I called them on the phone saying I have received this and supposedly i owe money for stolen goods and that I need to see the breakdown which they then emailed to me and dwf said this was what we were trying to send to you at first and I told them we have not received your first letter only one asking for demand of payment. On my second call to them I asked can you list the things that I have supposedly stole to which they replied “we normally have this on file but I can’t seem to find this on your file”   
    • oh well, at least your eign of terror is over now. so no contact directly since from/to sainsbury's. everything since has only been with DWF?
    • Replying to above  this was on the day that two store detectives approached me and my friend and took us into the back room and spoke to us when they explained they have been watching
    • as my learned friend above...and.. sadly because just like DCA's and initially yourself in this case, you believed they have some magical powers ...they DON'T. 85% of people blindly pay DCA's cause they know no better and think they are BAILIFFS. only the RETAILER can ever do court and none have done this on a silly member of joe public that did something stupid since the infamous 2012 Oxford case on retail loss. BAILIFFS can only ever be involved after you've been to court and lost a CCJ, fat chance re above... and anyway, no BAILIFF has any right of forced entry anyway on consumer debts even with a judgement so......... stop panicking and thinking everything that doesn't apply.. forget about them but p'haps a confidential GP visit might be a very good move... what slightly concerns me more here is:  who are 'them' that told you they'd reviewed a week of CCTV and come up with several shoplifting instances over that time amounting to the above? have you directly contacted or had contact from Sainsbury's? and know they HAVE done this? or is this DWF willy waving and they tricked you into  admitting several previous successful thefts... this is not the norm...  dx      
    • next step then await the N157 from her local court giving the time and date of a future hearing some month in the future. now she MUST file a witness statement 14 days (typically) to both the court and kearns .  so cant allow to much of a time lag before you are aware of that and get her WS done. wack us up 2 multipage pdf files please  one of what they returned for the CRP reply . and one for everything they sent back in 2022 you've found.  we do not need statements. ideally it would be nice to see their WS before hers is finally filed. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Benefits - A & L refusing to give back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All

I am well along the path of claiming back my bank charges, have been offered a measly settlement, refused and reported my complaint to the FOS.

I have since had a direct debit refused, which has escalated into my account being £200 overdrawn.

Each Thursday I have WFTC paid into my account and every four weeks I have my child benefit paid in. Last week, I faxed the bank and sent recorded delivery two right of appropriation letters stating the law that stops banks from being able to take benefit money. Told them that I would be drawing the money on Thursday and Monday respectfully and surprise surprise the money is not available to withdraw. I have phoned the bank and after being put on hold for a total of 45 minutes throughout the duration of the conversation, was told by someone in the legal department that the only way I could get this money today £170 for the two benefits they have unlawfully denied me access to, is to close my account!!! I have told them that under no circumstances whatsoever are they to close my account and if they do not arrange for me to have the funds today, then I will go back over my account and claim back all benefits that their unlawful charges have interfered with, and report them to FOS, BBC and National Newspapers as well as my MP. I was informed that I would have to wait for a call back from the girls manager who was just going into a meeting. This was over an hour ago - as of yet no call back. I have called the FOS, who incidentally have informed me that my claim for charges is just about to be looked at by an adjudicator, and informed them of the new developments. Although they are not allowed to give legal advice, they did state that they believe it to be true that to take the benefits is against the law. Will keep you posted. Will also update my bank charges thread with more info obtained from FOS regarding duration of bank charges claims etc.

I cannot believe that the banks continually break the law and nothing is done about it. Seriously considering going to a solicitor now for damages claim.

An update. Have just had a call from the bank - 3 hours after I phoned them!!! The woman I spoke to was a manager from the legal department - very rude lady. Would not let me complete a sentence without interupting me. Told me that if they let me have the monies then my account would be overdrawn and they would like to know how i was going to pay this money back. I stated that this was not what I had called for. I had called to make arrangements to make my WFTC and Child benefit funds available to me. She said that if I refused to tell her how I was going to pay this money back then she would close my account right now. I warned her that this was not ok and that if she did this I would create merry hell. She said I had refused to make an arrangement to pay monies back - this was of course not true. At this point I told her I was taping the conversation and that I would go to the BBC, solicitor and FOS if she did not tell me how this money was going to be made available to me today. She said she would not discuss this until I had made an arrangement to pay the monies owed. I again reminded her that I was taping the conversation and that if they refused me access to the monies then it was breaking the law under Social Security ACt 1992 and Tax Credit act 2006. She did get really shirty, but in the end I got what I wanted. A warning to anyone - it would appear that once you begin to claim back what is rightfully yours, the banks will use any excuse to close your account. The rudeness of the staff is amazing - I made it clear to this woman that I was appalled by her tone, attitude and negativity towards the situation. You would think it was her money that she had to give me. I have to go to the bank after work and collect monies. Apparently she was going to make all necessary arrangements. Lets see.

It will hit the fan if I get there and its not sorted, but to be honest, with the treatment I received on that phonecall, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Alliance and leicester fined by FOS for retaliatory account closure

they are naughty arent they - you think they wuld have learnt thier lesson.The above may be of interest. You seem to have the matter in hand - but make sure you follow up everything with an official complaint in writing.good luck with your claim:)

jan

Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

Affect of charges refunds on benefit claims.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Jan

Thanks for your comments. You are quite right. I will draft a letter of complaint to the banks director shortly. Think I might actually give them the option of settling now, informing them that if they decline to settle I will report the threat to close my account if I insisted on being allowed to collect MY MONEY!!!!! The new complaint would cost the bank a further £350!!!!!

Incidentally, when I went to collect my money yesterday, the phonecall hadnt been made and that had to phone up her while I waited!!!

I cannot believe how difficult the banks are being and how they continually refuse to abide by the law. I did read somewhere yesterday that as the FOS got involved in this last year, they should no longer be charging how they are anyway and therefore they are in the wrong for this. Am thinking about writing to the FOS with a schedule of charges made since I submitted my original claim - under seperate cover of course - as a seperate issue, questioning if they should still be doing this even when the FOS have deemed the charges unfair and I have already submitted a complaint for charges prior to these. The bank would have to pay another £350!!!! Worth it for that alone.

Hi , i would certainly start to pay something back for your overdraft as if you dont you may end up getting it put onto your credit report , may just cause you more probs in the future.

Good luck

hi

im really angry at the way they talk to customers i really cant put down the words here what i think about banks, have you tried getting another seperate bank account so you only have your tax credit paid into that account only, the post office do a basic account im told which is supposed to be quite good, i think all the time you owe money to the bank and they can see that money is paid into your account they will take it regardless of however you may try to stop them, try to come up with some arrangement to pay back some of what you owe, are they hammering you with OD charges? because if you dont get into some arrangement they will hit you for everything they can. i had a similar problem of not being able to cover the OD charges and it worked out about £200 a month i was getting done for as well as failed DDs Ect.

which really adds up over a few months

good luck

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I wrote to A&L about four weeks ago regarding claiming back my bank charges as I am on benefits. A&L have so far not responded. However seeing how they have disgracefully treated other people in this thread I am seriously thinking of getting a basic bank account before proceeding further. One reason for me taking this route is my chronic heallth - in a word its dire! I tire easily due to my pain and also the meds I take. I would appreciate any input from some wonderful and kind souls in this very supportive forum.One final question - is there a decent basic bank that anyone would recommend?!?!

Thanks in advance.

seeker27

Natwest seems to be popular, although the Co-op seems to be the most ethical bank, if that's not a contradiction in terms

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

bit off topic for your bank charges claim but I was very annoyed to get a text from a company I had never heard of, aegis, I ignored it because I did not know who they were, had a letter waiting for me from the same company and it turns out they are a debt collection agency based in Mumbia working for A and L. I had inadvertantly missed a payment on my credit card and they had passed my details onto this company straight away. I always make pyments on time these days, I told the woman my sister had just died and I had had other things on my mind. I am going to claim the charges back and also write to their cheif excutive to complain, I cannot believe they did not have the courtesy to ring me to find out why I had not paid them

Edited by hilaryfrances