• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
        • I agree
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Is My Agreement Enforceable - Useful

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You're right - they can't charge interest on the fee.

But are you sure they've been adding interest to the £75.00 Dipply?

I only ask 'cos I had a similar initial thought when I looked through statements/agreement on a loan but when I worked it out carefully it was correct - it was just the way it was shown. You have to calculate (1) the no. of payments x monthly amount & (2) calculate how much interest is due on just the loan figure. Do they match? I think a 1% tolerance is allowable.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll try when I have time later - it took me ages to do mine too!

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I've PMd you Dipply with my calcs. Think they have it correct i.e. interest not charged on the fee.

You're welcome. Good luck with claim...

• 1 month later...

You need to use an image hosting site eg. photobucket

http://photobucket.com/.

You will need to open an account but it's free.

You then scan your image (CCA) onto your computer, upload on to the site & post the link in your post here. Don't forget to remove any personal details from your agreement before posting.

Your post will be removed malissa 'cos it has your name & signature on the docs. you posted. It's for your protection.

Remove these images from photobucket. Then take a copy of your 'agreement', blank out the personal details using either Photoshop or just plain tippex, scan the images again, upload to photobucket, then post here.

The DCAs monitor this site - don't give your enemies gifts!

BTW, as ukaviator says, if this all they sent it's completely unenforceable.

How long is it since you sent for the CCA? More than 12+2 days? More than 30 days?

IMO it's probable that they won't have an agreement anyway but you need to wait the statutory time to give them the chance to produce one before considering your options.

Malissa - think perhaps you should start new thread for this in HSBC forum as it looks as though it's going to go on for a bit...

In the meantime, IMO a letter to HSBC stating

(1) that their docs. do not fulfil the requirements of the CCA1974 for an enforceable agreement (you sound as though you know the content template)

(2) account in dispute, therefore no payments, no interest, no defaults etc.

(3) no telephone calls, all communication to be put in writing etc.

If you have problem finding the 'template' for the above, please post back & I'll help.

Note - the likelihood is that they will prob. default you anyway despite the above. Also do NOT phone them or speak to them on the phone.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks OK to me, nosmoking, provided page 2 is the reverse of page 1 but as the date of signing by Egg matches the date at the top of Page 1, think this is probably the requisite link.

Hmm, that does sound odd.

Is it def. your signature? Could it have been copied from any corresp. you sent them?

Have you looked up Chalky's suggestion re. 3 pages? i.e one missing

• 1 month later...

Hi Cleo

Use photobucket or similar to upload. You have to open an account but it's free & the instructions are simple:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Does this mean that the form is an application form?

Could very possibly be just that but without seeing the actual doc. it's impossible to say - sorry.

Can you try uploading again (minus your personal details) or say what exactly you're having trouble with & someone may be able to help?

You can't apply for a CCA skeggs once the account is terminated. If you just have nil balances on the accounts & they are still open, you can apply for the CCAs.

and there point is....

...that you will accept their load of waffle, be utterly confused & drop your case!

Not in the CAG world eh, skegleg?

Perhaps if you start your own thread, post up the agreement they sent (without personal details), CAGers will be able to help with a suitable response. :rolleyes:

Edited by foolishgirl
addition

No, just the 12+2 days, Von Greenbach, the 30 days is no longer applicable.

• Haha 1

Welcome Joby & Cleo, skeggs too - some food for thought here:

1. The 12 days is working days, the +2 is to allow for posting time, so count it up then you can get cracking on them

2. In order to stop making payments, you have to put the account in dispute. This means sending them a letter along the lines below after the 12+2 days are up

3. When you post up your first thread, make sure you post in the correct forum for your query - see the front page of the forums. It is also shown as a new post & can be found by anyone looking to help others by clicking on the 'New Posts' tab in the user toolbar. So don't worry, lots of CAGers will see your posts & once they have looked in, they can chose to respond or subscribe so they get regular notification when a new item is posted on your thread. You don't have to shout it from the houses :)

Sample letter template for sending to DCA/OC after 12+2 days

Dear Sirs

I refer to my letter dated xxxx that was delivered via Recorded Delivery to your offices, received by you on xxxx, making a formal request for a true copy of the original credit agreement for the above account under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77-79) and a true signed copy of the Deed of Assignment.

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not, as defined under Section 189 of the CCA 1974.

Under the terms of the above Act, a creditor has 12 working days to provide the requested documents. This deadline has now passed & I have not received the requested documents from you.

As I am sure you are aware, an agreement that does not contain all of the prescribed terms, and/or is not signed by the debtor, is completely unenforceable & I therefore consider that this account is in dispute with immediate effect & it follows that all payments to this account are suspended forthwith.

I draw your attention to the legal requirement that a creditor is not permitted to take any action against an account whilst it remains in dispute. The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and therefore the following applies:

• You must not demand any payment on this account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.
  • You must not add any further interest or charges to this account.
  • You must not pass this account to any third party.
  • You must not register any information in respect of this account with any of the credit reference agencies.
  • You must not issue a default notice on this account

I hereby give you notice that if you proceed with any of the above actions, I will file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service.

YF

Send all corresp. Rec Del, do not sign - print or use dig. signature (to avoid the unscrupulous copying & pasting to another doc!), send POs rather than cheques (for the same reason)

Edited by foolishgirl
addtion

SB100 - this appears to be just an applic. form - but it depends what is on the other side i.e. is page 2 the reverse of this page?

Jaystar: You will find all the info you need in the MBNA forum:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/

Both of you: You will get much more specific help if you post in the forum to which your query relates eg. Barclaycard - BC forum, MBNA - MBNA forum. You will find all links on the first page of CAG forum.

SB - I agree that the forms you have posted look a little dodgy.

If you look at Form 2 you can make out an imprint of the writing on the other side; however if you look for eg. at the bottom left of Form 2, this should correspond with the bottom right of Form 1. I seem to detect the words 'Platinum Plus Visa card' & a code under that. Can you see that on the page they are claiming is the front ie. Page 1? I can't. :-?

You may be able to see almost exactly what is on both forms by putting the images thro' Photoshop or similar & reversing the image on Form 2. You could then tell if one is the actual reverse of the other. Not sure on the tech. behind this but do know it's possible. Maybe another CAGer can tell you how to do it?

SB, they may have 'arranged' to have the doc. signed by them to comply with the CCA. In itself, the absence of their sig. would not make the doc. unenforceable - a DJ would just say 'go away & sign it' to make it valid.

You are not going to know def. unless you get them to take you to court & ask to see the original. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to CAG Claire where the advice is not only good but free! :)

To start off the process with your credit agreements you need to send a CCA request to each credit card company enclosing £1.00. Do not sign the letter (use dig. signature or print so it can't be copied & pasted to other docs.) send POs & mail Rec. Del. so you can trace its receipt.

The template letter is on this page - Letter N amend to suit:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

If they do not mail an enforceable CCA back within the 12+2 days, you can then send an 'account in dispute' letter & stop payments but suggest you start a separate thread for each CC when you get to that stage - there are effects to consider when deciding to withold payments.

In the meantime have a good read of this forum & glean as much knowledge as you can from others who have been there & got the T-shirt.

Hey foolishgirl, sent of my CCA requests this arvo. Can I just check the 12+2 days, is that "working days"? MR08

Yes, it's 12+2 working days

Welcome to CAG. You're obviously here 'cos you're suspicious as to the motives of these companies - and you're quite right.

Firstly & most importantly, why would you want to pay someone £500 to check your agreement when you get the necessary advice & support on here for free & from people who have been through the process & are willing to help 'cos they don't want to see others suffer?

Secondly, when they obtain your agreement (which BTW would cost them the same as you, just £1.00), they find that it is enforceable. Oh, joy, you've lost £499, they've made a quick buck.

If they do find your agreement unenforceable, what action will then they then take without any further payments? Look into it carefully, you could have signed an open cheque.

There are reasonable easy steps to take in the case of an unenforceable agreement but you would be best off posting your individual problems etc. in the forum relating to your creditor as & when they appear. That way you will get advice specific to your case. It's not a one size fits all solution.

• Haha 1

1. Could you photobucket it VG please - can't read it even with my great big readers on!

2. What was the date of the application?

VG, sorry, really can't read it. If you can't either, yes there is an illegibility issue:

Reg 2 states:

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily distinguishable from the ."

IMO this includes font size. I think there is a 'standard' for food packaging, not aware of one for agreements but you could argue that it should be the same or similar.

Suggest you ask OC to send it again in legibile format.

• Haha 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks