• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tonycee & Natwests Offer Yeahhhhhhhhh**WON**

tonycee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ninja....i didnt need to reply as i got paid the same day i received their defence..Start a new thread and introduce yourself, people will pick your questions up much quicker that way...

Have a read through this, it should take you through to completion.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Good luck.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a phone call from Cobbetts today @ 15.50 23/07/07...

I lovely young lady by the name of Sarah introduced herself, and where she was calling from.

Her call in her own words was a cheecky request, asking me not to enter judgement against NatWest.

My claim had been struck out as an abuse of process, as no defence was entered at court, allthough my claim was acknowledged..

I tried in vain to explain that payment had been received as full and final on the 3rd July..

I went on to explain that i had forwarded a copy to Cobbetts, along with acknowledgement of receipt of their defence. (my copy) And forwarded settlement details to the court requesting the case to be closed..

How many times can you tell somebody you dont want their money...

Despite my efforts, the lovely Sarah now insists that she must send me the cheque that she has in front of her, for £ 1,639.21p as per charges/interest/court fee..

I DONT WANT YOUR MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cheque will be with you in 3/5 working days sir, may i take this opportunity of thanking you for not entering judgement against the bank.

Have a nice day now. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As tempting as it is, i just dont want it.................................

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Lol tony............. PMSL!!!! I can't believe them................. that's the funniest cobbetts story I've heard in ages!!!

Not being funny........... when you send the cheque back, they'll be on the phone again arguing that you must cash the cheque!!!

Brilliant!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Ahhh - BUT this could be a "shut up and go away" goodwill payment.

When you receive it, the best thing to do is to write and state that you have received their cheque. Ask them to confirm in writing (unless the accompanying letter already does) that this is indeed a goodwill gesture.

If it is, you can keep it - if not, it can go back!

Good luck

p.s. -Here's an idea - If they say it's a goodwill payment, why not donate it to CAG!!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Will post details of letter when it arrives...All she said was that i had to sign the bit at the bottom that said i would not enter judgement..

Seems im not the only one who has had a ( please dont ) call from Cobbetts today..

tony, you've cheered me up today with this thread!! No wonder the rest of us can't get paid out.......... they're too busy trying to pay you twice!!!!

Best of luck mate............. but knowing you, you'll have this sorted out in no time! ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thanks sweetheart, your a star. I wouldnt have even said

" boo to a goose ", or bank worker, without all the help and support that you, and many others have given us all. It is appreciated in the extreme..

I hope your ALL get paid soon...

Twice.....................

Hi, Cobetts haven't entered a defence on my case dealine was 21st July what did you do to get them to pay you out?

Kazz

I didnt do anything, thats the point..

I received an offer (accepted) (received into account 03 july)from Borehamwood on 20 June (from memory) the very same day that i received Cobbetts defence.

Cobbetts then failed to file a defence with the courts, even though they showed their intention to.

Because i accepted the offer, i thought that would be the last of it..

My only advice if they have failed to enter a defence is, wait a couple of weeks without doing anything, if you tell them now they have failed, they can stilll ask, and receive a stay which could delay payment for weeks. On the other hand, you could ring them and receive payment within days.

I honestly dont know which is the best route to take, but good luck anyway.

I guess thats no advice at all really is it. ? Sorry. !!

They did this to me last year also. I won by default as they failed to acknowledge or defend the claim so I won, they sent me one cheque for £2500 and I wrote back saying thank you the court claim is now cancelled and then they sent another cheque, i called them and they said no I must have £2500. lol

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

They did this to me last year also. I won by default as they failed to acknowledge or defend the claim so I won, they sent me one cheque for £2500 and I wrote back saying thank you the court claim is now cancelled and then they sent another cheque, i called them and they said no I must have £2500. lol

As lovely as the prospect of another £1639 sounds, i cant help but feeling "its not right"

I didnt win by default, and they did send me their defence..

On receipt of funds (03july) i instructed the courts to stop my claim.I also forwarded details of payment to Cobbnitts.

I will just have to BEG them to take their money back.

Wonder if i should send them an invoice for £38 as a processing fee...

"should send them an invoice for £38 as a processing fee..." :D:rolleyes: that would be sooo funny, go on do it, there's no harm !

Plus 8% interest............ accruing daily!!!!!!!!! :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Ive been thiking. (most of you will have thought the noise was thunder)

Shoot me down in flames if you know different.

My theory is..

NatWest and Cobbnitts will have undertaken a contract between themselves for a "fixed fee defence package", e.g. Natwest pay a stage stepped price to Cobbitts of an agreed amount on settlement.. (still with me ?)

E.G.

£50 for settlement at Prelim letter

£75 For settlement at LBA

£100 To file defence

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Heres my point.

I believe the contract will state that if Cobbnitts fail to provide the service correctly, i.e. if they fail to submit on time, etc,

They (cobbetts) will be liable for reimbursement of clients claim amount.

Cant wait to find out where the cheque comes from....

That's way too educated for me tonight tony.......... I've got toothache!!!

Lol though................ cheque might even be signed by old Higley himself!!!! :D :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Poor soul.. Big Sympathy....

Just recovering from abscess (yes that how you spell it)

Swelling down from egg size to marble.

Half of face still numb.

Skin on lips died under blocking blood supply.

But Hey !!!!! Chin up, thats another webb site. X.

Ooooohhhhh............. that sounds how I look and feel right now :(

I'd feel a whole lot better if cobbetts coughed up.............. TWICE!!!

Thanks for the sympathy............. right back at ya! xx ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

hay tonycee whats up? welshgirl here,sorry to hear your not on top form!! what's up with us all, Hedgey with toothache, you with abscess and me, well i'm just falling appart!!!!!!!!!!!! but trying to wait patiently "FOR MY MONEY" For what it's worth Tonycee, i'd follow Jonny2bad's post, thay'd be quickenough spotting your error....not your fault if thay dont know what their doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope your better soon. xx:) :)

Hi Hedgey, and all. Hows the toothache ?

Got a Special delivery ( not recorded but SPECIAL, OOOOOOOH )

letter to collect from my local Royal Mail sorting office..

SIGNATURE REQUIRED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder what that could be ???????????????????????????????????????????

Hey Tony - tooths's still hurting!!!

At a guess........... I'd say the special delivery is.............. wait for it............... a lifetime's supply of envelopes to enable you to become penpals with cobbetts????????

Lol!!!!

Tony, guess what???? I'VE WON!!!! GOT MA' CHEQUE TODAY HUN!!!!! xxxxxx

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Got It. Royal Bank Of Scotland. Litigation Dept C No 2 A/C. £ 1,656.17p

Dear Sir

Our Client

Claim No

We refer to the above matter and confirm that we act for Nats.

We write in relation to to the Court Order dated 12 July in which the court has granted permission for you to apply to enter judgement. Without any admission of liability, we confirm our client is prepared to settle this matter in full to prevent incurring any further legal fees. We enclose a cheque in the sum of £1,656.17p.

Acceptance by you of this GOODWILL PAYMENT

will be in full and final settlement of your claim against our client.

( Will add against this claim only )

Our client would normally apply to the Court to set aside such an order. However, in order to conclude matters swiftly, and in order to save our client further time in applying to and attending a hearing to set aside the order, we need to confirm to the court that you have received this payment and would ask for your agreement that you will not apply to enter Judgement as granted in paragraph 2 of the order..Etc Etc.

For ease, we would be grateful if you would sign and return the duplicate of this letter, thereby confirming that you have received the payment and your agreement above. We have also enclosed 2 copies of the Notice Of Discontinuance for you to sign. We would be grateful if you would send a copy to the court, and a copy to ourselves..

We await hearing from you.

Yours.

Cobbetts LLP

I confirm that i have received the sum of *** in respect of Claim No 7RG***** against Nats and i agree not to enter judgement / i agree to the setting aside of any judgement i have obtained as granted in the court order dated 12 July 2007

Signed.................. Dated.................

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Lmao!!!!! :D :d :D

Strangely i cant.. Im gonna sit on it for a week and see what happens..

I feel sick now ive got it, and even sicker for those still to claim.

It's the irony of the situation though tony.................... I honestly cannot believe that they're trying to force you to accept the payment twice!!

Why don't you just cut the cheque in half, and return it to nat west with a letter explaining the ludicrous situation (copy to cobbetts) - at least that way, you'll feel a bit better about it. :D:D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

It's the irony of the situation though tony.................... I honestly cannot believe that they're trying to force you to accept the payment twice!!

Why don't you just cut the cheque in half, and return it to nat west with a letter explaining the ludicrous situation (copy to cobbetts) - at least that way, you'll feel a bit better about it. :D :D

I would rather give it away than give it back.. Im in court this afternoon ( Barclays have had my 2 claims struck out as an abuse £3,500 on 19 July ) I will see what they have to say about Cobbnitts ( i just luv that name )