abbey debt collectors advice pls

337lee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello

my wife has incurred charges from abbey of over £350 from a £2.00 overspend on her electron card, now as this has just been via way of charges adding up each month and not actual cash being taken from the account (never anything in there) , we have just left this assuming that abbey wouldn't actually do anything seeing as so many peope are claiming back these charges.

however we have now received a letter from debt management and recovery services ltd requesting immediate settlement.

my wife called them and they said that they have brought the debt from abbey and that we now owe them the money, can anybody please advise on whether this debt is enforceable by the collection agency as this debt was brought about by unenforceable penalty charges and should i just writeback to them stating this or should i just start the process of claiming back these charges with abbey and tell the debt collector that this is being dealt with through the courts and to get lost ( if i can).

i also noticed that the letter was headed , default of payment ,will this now be affecting my credit report and if so what can i do about this.

any help appreciated on what to do next , thanks.

lee

I have had the same problem with Barclays.

How long has the charges been going onto the account and did you get a letter from Abbey telling you they had sold the debt to another company or that they had passed it on to another company to get collection from you?

If not then the DCA has no authority to try and get you to pay.

Start the process of claiming them back from Abbey and if the DCA call again just tell them that it is in dispute with Abbey and you will not deal with them until it is resolved.

• Haha 1