• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Glover/Marshall Vs Lloyds ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I'm helping my friend claim her charges back from LLoyds...just over £4000..Phew! My question is, I have followed the steps so far (I think!), and yes, Lloyds have been very slow to respond, but what is frustrating for me is there is no urgency with my friend! Bless her. Will it affect her claim if she dragging her feet. I can start the MCOL at anytime as this is her next step but I need her here for the initial payment and registration details. Just to clarify, 1.have got all statements, 2.have list of charges calculated, 3.sent a letter to request the refund, got a letter back from Lloyds declining stating their normal 'get lost' response. Is it now time to proceed with MCOL? Is this this correct :???:

Glover/Marshall v Lloyds TSB ****Won****

:) :) :) Paid in full £4233.00 :) :) :)

Have I just shot myself in the foot? I was just reading up on your guidance notes to check what step to take next and I downloaded the templates from http://www.moneysaving expert.com where I 1st heard of these claims. The templates there are worded differently to CAG's, does this make a difference? Please help. The more I read the more my brain freezes!....oh so confused & nervous now.

Hi

I would send the Letter Before Action from this site, don't include the 8% interest on it, give them 14 days then start the Court claim:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Hi, have already sent the LBA but I did include a list of charges and that did include the calculated interest but is was listed in a separate column. shouldn't I have done that? Going back to the letter, we've not heard a sausage from them & it has gone over the 14 days. So I proceed to start the court claim, right?

Help please! On the N1 form, value section, what do I put for the Interest Persuant to S69 County Courts Act 1984. at £xxxx per day. I have calculated the 8% yearly amount, so I haven't got a clue what the daily charge would be. How do I calculate that?

Just one more question about the above interset, I've calculated it to be £0.90 per day, But on the form:

Charges £xxx.xx (This I know)

Overdraft Interest £xxx.xx(This I know)

Interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 £xxx.xx confused about this figure

Court Fee £xx.xx (This I know)

Sorry....:o

Hi

Just looked at my N1 and i claimed the following

charges...£1,410

overdraft interest ...£0

interest under s.69...£101.63 (8%)

court fee...£120

To be honest im not sure if you can claim both lots of interest. Hope someone who knows abit more can help you with that one.

Tracie

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have had my Notice of issue through the post & it has given Lloyds until 13th (which is today) to reply.....which they haven't. Am I right in thinking the next step is to file a Judgement default against them? With it being the week-end can I leave it til Monday now. I would rather hand it in to the court personally or should I post it asap?

:)

Ha Ha! Got the acknowledgement through the post this morning with intention to defend whole amount...was hoping it was going to be plain sailing. Never mind.

OMG!!! We've Won!:-D :-D £4,233.00

The thing is, (this is not my a/c, I was helping a close friend), My friend received an Acknowledgement of Service letter on Fri 13th July. The court date stamp is Fri 6th July with intention to defend. On Tues 17th July received letter from SC&M dated Fri 6th July explaining that they will be defending Lloyds on the grounds of account mis-use. Yesterday, my friend received another letter from SC&M also dated Fri 6th July marked, Underlined & in Bold " Strictly Without Prejudice".... warning us not to show this letter or reproduce it in any way that may compromise when entering sttlement negotiotions. It goes on to explain in 5 seperate points that they intend to defend, Explanation of breach of contract etc etc. the last point states "your claim for repayment of these fees is therefore misconceived". It goes on to say that LLoyds & other major banks are currently discussing the legal basis for these charges with OFT.

Over the page it goes on to say the bank is, without prejudice to the position set out above, willing to pay you £4102.21 you are claiming as bank charges, interest of £10.79 plus the court fee £120.00 in full & final settlement... This will be paid on the following basis: It then gives you 7 terms.

The closing stating of this letter states: If you are willing to settle on this basis, please sign a copy of this letter as confirmation that you are bound by its terms, and return to us asap. We ask you to reply within 10 days from the date of this letter(dated 6th july) as the bank will need to file it's defence if settlement terms cannot be agreed before then.

Inerestingly, all three letters were dated Fri 6th July, so how can SC&M send one with intention to defend & another on the same day offering a full & final settlement!!!!

What has really annoyed my friend is that she had an OD £1400 & had agreed with LLoyds that she would repay this back @ £140 per month(without interest).

On the 17th July the above amount, £4233.00 has been deposited, clearing her O/D.

But surely this is not right as she has only just received the offer, hasn't signed anything & as SC&M clearly states on the terms they set out that they will need to file a defence if they don't receive the signed letter from my friend? She didnt reply to them 'cos she didnt receive the letter 'til 13 days later.

She is elated that they've paid up, but says its very underhand the way they have done this. As she hasn't signed this letter, she has not agreed to anything so they shouldn't have done this. She is not legally bound by their terms in the letter, and she plans to claims for further charges that were added after she filed this claim, can she still do this?

What do we do now? ;) (apart from celebrate!!)

Can she start another claim even though it states not to in the offer letter?

(I'm just glad its all over! I won't tell her that, she'll feel guilty!)

Also how do you move this thread to success'

Congratulations happyandfriendnotsobroke!:D

A lot of people seem to recieve those same two letters on the same day,

I agree it's so annoying how they've paid the O/D out of the settlement. It is underhand but i believe they're within their rights to do this, despite your friend having made an agreement with them. I guess it's the nature of the beast:rolleyes:

Yes you can start another claim. As you say, you've signed nothing saying that you wont be.

Good luck with the next one:)

Thank you, its certainly taken a 'load off' as far as i'm concerned!

I've Pm'd a mod to move the post to the success', will I need to write to the court to let them know its been settled?...and what about SC&M? do I just leave it now. :)