• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Commission??? That's one word for it!

Little Bob
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning all,

After 5 months of continuous requests, I finally received my statements.

While flicking through them on the train this morning, I realised that there are quite a few amounts, either in £50 or £25 denominations which are entitled "Commission". :confused:

As I have a basic account with Smile, I then called them to find out what the Commission was for, as I do not have a motrgage, travel insurance or any other service with them.

It turns out, Commission is code for Fee which is applied when a Direct Debit or Cheque is bounced, through lack of funds. So just make sure you don't miss these off your statements as it's just another term for FEE. :mad:

I'm only owed about £500 or so, so I'm hoping that Smile will not make too bigger deal of it but I'll let you know.

Cheers

Caroline

Hello - me again.

After reviewing the charges, I sent a secure message to Smile and said as it was only £475 in total, would they just pay this back directly or if they didn't, I'd have to go through the official channels (I sent the LBA anyway by registered post on Friday).

This is the message I've just received back from them:

Hello Mrs xxxx

Thanks for letting me know about your problem. I'm really sorry to hear you've had trouble with charges on your account.

This is just to say I'll be looking into your complaint and I'll get back to you as soon as I can with a full response. Please be aware this may take upto 4 weeks in line with the Financial Services Authority regulations, although we aim to respond much faster.

Thanks again

xxxxx xxxxx

PS - For full details of our complaints procedures, go to smile.co.uk - the internet bank, click on 'Talk to us' and then click on 'Complaints' on the right hand side.

4 WEEKS? Can I go back to them and say that's b*llocks and that it should be 14 days? Is the FSA regulation 14 days or 4 weeks? I should imagine that they will probably waste my time on the back of the LBA)

AAARRGGHH!! They are driving me mad!!! Please, someone, should I bother replying to the Secure message and tell them that they have 14 days or should I just await the response from the LBA application?

Your experienced response would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Little Bob.

Hi,

I'm no expert but I've read a lot of the smile threads in depth! I'm also awaiting a response from my LBA and have been given the 4 weeks to wait nonsense.

From what I've read it seems smile do seem to be issuing refunds in the 4 week timescale they are giving. If they do not respond within your 14 day limit you do have the option of court action. This of course is a hassle but on the flip side, again from what I've read, you'll probably get the interest on your claim too by taking legal action.

Hope this helps! "AAARRGGHH!!" is how I've been feeling about smile lately too!

Stick to your timescales, of the 14 day letters. Then do the court action. That's what I did and I was paid out one week afterwards, refunding the court costs and interest.

They were no real hassle at all, I wish I could say the same for Natwest!!

Good Luck

Hello,

After writing a secure message to Smile about the timeframes, I have (5 days later) received a response:

Hello Mrs xxxx

I'm sorry you've not had a reply to your complaint as of yet. I appreciate that you may have given us 14 days to resolve your complaint.

However, we work to timescales set by the Financial Services Authority. We are allowed up to 4 weeks to reply to your initial complaint. However, law allows us a maximum of 8 weeks to respond to your complaint. If we need anymore time after the initial 4 weeks we will let you know either by secure message or written letter.

I'm sorry if you feel that 4 or 8 weeks is too long to wait. However, due to the number of complaints that we have received recently we have to work them in order.

I'm sorry if this means you have to wait. However, if we were to put your complaint before others it would not be fair and lead to customers waiting longer than necessary.

Regards

xxxx

smile Complaints Team

Help! What exactly is the law? Are they right with the FSA guidelines then? Do they actually have the right to wait 4-8 weeks before response? I like the way that's the goalpost has now moved from 4 to 8!

Please let me know the legal status of what they are saying as I don't know.

Many thanks

Little Bob

From all that I have read the over-riding message is this STICK YOUR timescales. You're not making a "complaint". You are requesting the return of your money!

When the 14 days is up, send them the LBA. If they don't respond, then you can give them another 7 days if you're feeling generous. This will show the court (should it come to this) that you have given them time and opportunity to resolve the matter before bringing it to court.

When the 7 days are up either file N1 at your local county court or use MCOL and file online.

Don't let them get away with it. Four weeks indeed! Hmmmph :evil:

deedee :D

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p

Hi, I am waiting for Smile to send me details about charges but I reckon they owe me about £2000+. I sent a request for details of charges via Secure message though, would they responde to that? Does anyone know please?

• Haha 1

Hey Rainbow157,

This was my recent exchange with them with regards to receiving a list of charges (nothing more). Start from the bottom

Hello deedee1310

The Subject Access Request is something different and there is a charge for this, but the list of charges is also done by the same team so they use the same timescales.

The list of charges is free and although we have 40 days in which to send this to you, we aim to do it as soon as possible.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Regards

Pamela Eason

Message Sent to Bank

-----------------------------------------------

To : BANK

Date : 18/06/2007

Subject : Manager

Thank you.

I have already sent a letter with regards to a Subject Access Request enclosing the Statutory fee of £10.

A friend told me recently that if I JUST wanted a list of charges that this could be sent to me and could take up to 7 days. From your reply I see that this is not the case, so will await ALL the data held on me, as per my request dated 11/6/07.

Warm regards,

deedee1310

Message From Bank

Operator ID : JBURGA

Date : 18/06/2007

Hello deedee1310

I've passed your request on to our Subject Access Request team.

They now have 40 days to action your request.

Thanks

Jackie

Message Sent to Bank

To : BANK

Date : 12/06/2007

Could you please send me a printout of all charges debited to my account since its inception? I understand that this can take up to 7 days to receive.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Note the presumption by Jackie that my original request was for an SAR :mad: . It wasn't but I had already sent an SAR request the day before 11/6/07.

Oh well I guess the cat is out of the bag for me. They're probably not under any illusions now as to why I want the list of charges. :lol:

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p

Hiya Rainbow157,

Be careful asking for a 'list of charges'. I started like this on secure messenging and 4 weeks later, they provided me with a list of Interest charges against my account!!! (it's a looooong story). But it took 4 weeks, after 3 months of asking.

You need to make sure you ask for a SAR, otherwise they play dumb and don't come back with anything you need, thus prelonging the time it takes to get what you want.

Secure messenging is fine as I've got the info I need but make sure when you ask for the money, you do it in writing by using the LBA, and send it by registered post.

Let me know how you get on!

Little Bob

Don't worry my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) still stands :p I just wanted the list to get started.

I have most of my statements but am missing quite a few (have had the account for 5 years) hence my SAR in the first place. Plus Smile, had previously closed the same type of account that I currently hold with them, two years before. They cited my adverse credit as being the reason despite the account having been open for over 4 months, so I am curious to know what their real reason was.

Remember SAR is not just for statements but for ALL data held on you by a Data Controller.:D

deedee

My threads

Hi, I am waiting for Smile to send me details about charges but I reckon they owe me about £2000+. I sent a request for details of charges via Secure message though, would they responde to that? Does anyone know please?

Hey I just received this response after sending S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) yesterday.

I've passed your request on to our Customer Care department. They now have forty days to provide you with this information. This is in line with the Financial Services Authority.

Regards

Pamela Eason

smile Complaints Team

Should I leave it at that now and hope they send the info?

Hello

You can get the Daily Excess charges, plus the service charge. I think you can only get the interest if you go through the courts. Be careful to check for things called Commission. This is a penalty for bounced cheques and/or DDs! Cheeky beggers.

And on the back of your SAR, they do have 40 days to respond, so sit tight and see what happens!

Let me know how you get on.

Little Bob.

HI

I sent my subject access request on May 19th. On June 16th i received this information. I sent a secure message requesting my £876 on the 16th or else court action would be taken. I then sent a secure message again on Monday 18th. On Tuesday 17th i contacted them by phone to see what was happening. I was informed that i would receive my money in 2 working days. Today i got a letter confirming this.

I cant believe how quick and easy this process was. Here's hoping my money will be returned to me tomorrow.!!!

How does that work ebd89?! Some of you get it straight away and others (ME for instance) have to wait ages?!! A bit inconsistant and very irritating!!!

Never mind. Glad you'll get your money, I'll let you know if I ever get there!!

Got to love 'em!

Little Bob

Well guys, woke up this morning and checked my account. And WOW there was my £876 reimbursed. I can't believe it!!!

So i packed up the car and me and my three little darlings headed to town for some indulgence. To top it all i'm on maternity leave at the minute and this money has been a godsend.

Good luck to you all in your cliams!!!

P.S Also made a cliam to the Bank of Ireland for £471 four weeks ago and would you believe it they sent be a letter today offering me £250. I think i'm going to accept as i believe they take all their cases to court. WHAT A DAY ITS BEEN....

ebd 89

CONGRATULATIONS ebd89!!!:D :D :D :D

I don't blame you for indulging in some indulgence! Good luck with the baby. Remember to put some aside for the new addition to your family :D

Wow - I hope they take my claim seriously too (once I start it)!

Anyway, congratulations once again.

deedee x

My threads

Hi LittleBob.

It's been a bit quiet here recently. What's happening with your claim. I was trying to work out your timeline and reckon that you should have sent an LBA at some point, which is counting down.

Is this the case?

Let us all know please. I'm still waiting for Smile (I'm NOT) to send all my banking info as per my SAR request. I'll let you guys know when it arrives.

Speak to you soon.

deedee

My threads