AndymanUk v MBNA ***SETTLED***in full

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:D Hi

I didn't start a thread originally 'cos this was only for £599.95 (I have a Barclays case about to go to court for £4900, which is much more juicy)

Started letters back & forth with MBNA back in Feb. They sent me a cheque for £210 as an offer, I didn't expect this cheque, it cane out of the blue, however, I wrote back a snotty letter and said I wanted the full amount or nothing else, I explained I would keep the cheque, and they could just send another cheque for the balance.

Had to wait a few weeks, but got a letter back today from Rachel Claridge, assistant vice president, stating that they will be sending me a cheque for the balance £389.95 in the next few days, and consider the matter closed.

To be honest MBNA have been the easiest to deal with out of my 3 case (Barclays, RBOS, & MBNA).

Anyway , good news !!

Keep on...

:) :) :) :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

:cool:

In the words of QUINCY JONES:

" It's not about your acheivements in life, it's all about the journey getting there...."

I got my Peices of Eight !;)

Good stuff AndymanUK! :D I've just sent off CCA/S.A.R to MBNA on behalf of my hubby. No idea how much the charges will be but would be ecstatic if it went through as simply as yours. If i get stuck i'll add to this thread, so keep your eyes open!!:o

Good luck with the other cases :)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Well done andy!! If only everyones claim was so simple (sigh).

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Simple ? well maybe, thats subjective, it did take 4 snotty letters, a few phone calls, and about 4 months, but yes, relative to my other cases, it was indeed, easy to get my money back from MBNA. I'm having abit of a nightmare with RBOS who are just blankly refusing to budge from the £37 !! they are offering me , ha ! but even though it will cost me, I will take it to court, because I know will get it back..;)

In my humble opinion, one cannot underestimate the power of having all of your bank statements (i.e. not having to ask for them), without sounding smug, I've always kept all mine, so when I presented the evidence to them, they were not able to use the stalling tactics, thet they seem to with most people, (i.e. claim to have lost letters, correspondence etc,etc..)

I think they are told to start off by assuming most people are idiots who are just trying there luck, with no balls to finish it.

When they see that you are prepared to fight for your money, they put your case on to another pile, marked 'will settle eventually' , and then the outcome is inevitable, it's just hard being patient and waiting for it all to filter through...

:) :) :) :)

" It's not about your acheivements in life, it's all about the journey getting there...."

BTW thanks for the support..

when i get my 3 cases wrapped up, I will be making a donation to this site, for all the help and encouragement..

Go CAG !!!:D

BTW again

I forgot to say that the claim include a fair amount of compound interest which I worked out using the calculator on Martins website (moneysavingexpert)

so it wasn't just the standard 8% interest, it was a lot more !

i think MBNA just couldn't be bothered working it out !

:p

• 3 weeks later...

:o You won't beleive this story:

I got full settle from MBNA, sent to me in two cheques about a month ago. Everything was fine...then....

I decided to deposit them in an ABBEY business account which I hadn't used for a few months to keep it separate from other stuff etc..

So, as Abbey don't allow you to deposit business cheques over the counter, I sent them in the post to Abbey in London.

Rang to check they were in there OK, and got told that the account had been closed since January, and the cheques have most likely been destroyed, as per their usual system for closed accounts. Asked why they had closed my account, they said because of inactivity on the account, and they had sent 3 letters and made one phone call to inform me, but without any reply, so they closed it.

Turns out they were using my old house address (moved 2 and a half years ago) and had been sending stuff there (crazy, as I have 4 other ABBEY accounts and a mortgage with Abbey, and they've always used my current address, so why would they do that), anyway, it seems that I have to re-apply for a new account, and they still don't know where my cheques are !!!!

I have been in touch with MBNA as I will probably have to stop the cheques, and get them re-issued. Luckily I have found MBNA really good to deal with and have been the best out of all the banks, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, i hope...

Just thought I would tell the story, as I am probably the first in the history of CAG to spend months getting charges back from a bank only to have them lost by another BANK !!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

I really do hate ABBEY they are the most dissorganised bank I have ever dealt with.

Cheques are not normally destroyed.They are returned to the customer. Not having that one.

If they could not trace you (ahem , I assume they still had your phone number), and should have tried tracing you on their system (your accounts should also have been linked).

At this stage , they would have then returned checks to drawers branch, saying they are unable to trace payee.

Something very wrong there.Ask them to confirm their course of action in writing, including the destruction of the cheques, and their reasons for not making other attempts to trace you.

Then complain

Andyman

Just be careful, my hubby also received full settlement from MBNA around same time as you. Cheque arrived 2 June, returned unpaid to our bank by MBNA. Our bank has informed us that MBNA flagged the cheque as potentially fraudulent, what does that mean? MBNA insist the cheque has been paid, have been trying to get answers all week, Colin Pugh was to ring hubby back today and guess what, no phone call? Don't know what is going on, up to date statement arrived yesterday which does show refund, guess court will have to sort it out.

glav

thanks bally & glav

i have already gone through the complaints procedure at Abbey, and have a person assigned to me for my case, however the cheques still remain lost. They suggested that rather than destroying the cheques, sometimes misc. deposits are stored in a temporary ledger account, (i.e. if you don't claim it, they will keep it !) I asked that if they did this, surely they will have a log of the payments made into this account ( after all they are a BANK ?) but that seems to be too complicated and they are just random deposits, and we have to prove our case that it is our money before they give it back . I would understand all this if it was my fault, but this is purely down to the lack of organisation at Abbey, why should I have to prove anything ?

I am also a bit concerned now, considering Glav's problem with unpaid cheques,

these banks seem to be more like gangsters than high street organisations.......

we shall see......

I'll keep my money under my mattress in future, it's safer !!!!:lol:

glav

what happened with your cheque ?

is it sorted out ?

Thankfully Andyman, YES!! Natwest actually flagged it as potentially counterfeit and I have to say MBNA, particularly Colin Pugh worked very hard to get it sorted. What about your fiasco?

glav

still a fiasco, still got various people from both sides floundering around, not really acheiving anything.

i'm gonna be patient with this one though, I don't want to risk not getting those cheques back at all!!

• 4 weeks later...

just an update for anyone interested....

1 month and 3 days later, I still do not have a copy of the cheques from MBNA, and therfore still do not have the cheques returned to me from Abbey, or indeed the money !!!!

outrageous, how two banks have lost £600 of my money, and don't want to give it back to me.

i think my next step is 'watchdog'