• Tweets

• The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
    • Hello everyone,   Just thought id post an update.   I've today now finally received a claim form from PRA Group. Bit annoying as the last payment to them would have August 2018 so was nearly over the line. I believe my only grounds for defence is that they haven't managed to produce a copy of the DN notice, however from some online research I managed to find some case law that stated they can use their systems screenshot to show proof of it being sent.   I know I have to respond back to their claim form and will do so online on moneyclaim, is now the time to pick up the phone to them and negotiate a deal?   Any advice as always is much appreciated it.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First Trust deliberately uncooperattive

susanm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received the info from the SAR and 1st trust have not sent any details on charges, i know they have changed their procedure recently wiht all the requests being made . Has anyone recently received a list of charges, if Not what is the next step. I know there i a chance of using the small claims court to disclose the info, has anyone done this yet and to what outcome??

Susan

check out Big Aid's posts on the same topic.First Trust seem to treat their customers like dirt-well, more like dirt than the others.Bad conduct just seems to vary from bank to bank,but they're basically all the same.

Do what it takes to get your details-you deserve it, and it's your right.

hi susanm

i have been fighting with pat mcintyre at ft for the past few weeks with no success at all. i have today sent what i consider to be my last letter asking him to give me a detailed written reason why i have not been given a complete list of fees and charges. i was sent 3 months transactions similar to what i can get from yhe online service.

alanfromderby v bristol west has got a very good letter dealing with this , but i have already sent a variation of it and at this stage i am prepared to go to court.

i have arranged to be off work on 16th june so that i can deliver the papers to the court.

templates library has some good letters under the heading

DPA non compliance

hi folks

Just to let you know that I got my info from First Trust.

I then sent them 2 letters asking for a refund and no surprise the answer was no.

Court Papers are being lodged on Monday!!!!!!!

Don't expect much cooperation from them - it was like hitting my head against a brick wall.

Keep you posted.

GOOD LUCK

check out my first trust thread and you will see what your reply is going to be. your title of deliberately uncooperative seems to be close

also keep an eye on flojo1985 as she is a bit further forward than i am......

she must have got mcintyre on a good day

Hi Susan

Did you Know that you can now lodge your court papers online.

http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/default.htm

You will have to register but it will save you the trouble of having to go to your local court. (By the way you can only claim up to £2000 via the small claims track but you can add interest and fees that will take you over the £2000).

I have papers already lodged and they have until early July to respond.

GOOD LUCK - I HOPE WE ALL WIN

Flojo1985

I sent in a DSAR request recently. Got a response rather promptly and (wait for it) they decided in this instance not to apply the £10 fee and refunded it to me!! All i got was a print out of my statements. Details of manual interventions are "not held on a relevant filing system" Am i to assume from this that all my charges were automated?

Secondly, I have totally up all my referral charges and arrangements fees, but left out the quarterly fees and charges i attracted for now remaining in credit for the quarter - is this correct thing to do?

having read all your experiences with FT i think i am going to request an estimated refund over the course of two letters and if that doesn't produce the desired result go straight to small claims. I have tallied up all my referrals and arrangement fees overt the years and it's coming in at £1550

Got Reply Today

Dear

Re: Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Request

I acknowledge receipt of your request dated 7th instant. Unfortunately I am unable to act on this request as it has not been signed by yourself.

Please sign and return for my attention at your convenience.

Yours sincerely

Hilary Curry

Accounts Manager

31/35 High Street

Belfast

BT1,2AL

I am going to sign and post Recored Delivery Tomorrow.

Lets see what they do now.

I sent in a DSAR request recently. Got a response rather promptly and (wait for it) they decided in this instance not to apply the £10 fee and refunded it to me!! All i got was a print out of my statements. Details of manual interventions are "not held on a relevant filing system" Am i to assume from this that all my charges were automated?

Secondly, I have totally up all my referral charges and arrangements fees, but left out the quarterly fees and charges i attracted for now remaining in credit for the quarter - is this correct thing to do?

the qurterly fees and charges that you have incurred, are for a service that was provided and are not claimable. if you have got all the details of any referral charges , total them up and write a prelim request letter. you have given them every chance to come up with a defence on the manual intervention grounds.

The quarterly fees are claimable. These are penalty fees which are imposed when a consumer goes into their overdraft facility. (Check out the Consumer Council for NI web site and First Trusts terms and conditions on their own site). They are composed of transations ie whichdrawing money from the link, writing cheques, banking charges etc. You cannot claim for services ie the setting up of an overdraft facility etc

• 2 weeks later...

I Got all my statements for the past 6 years

Dear

Re: Data Protection Request

I refer to you letter 7 June 2006 and enclosed herewith statements for the period 13/11/2000 to 16/06/2006.

Details of the manual interventions you requested are not held on a relevant filling system.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Pat Mc Intyre

Data Protection officer

Regulatory compliance

HELP NEEDED

Can I claim for referral charges.

Total charges for 6 years is £2247.00.

How much can I request from First Trust Bank (NORTHERN IRELAND) to refund me.

Yes, you can claim referral charges.

I understand in NI you can only claim up to £2000, so you need to split yor claim.

Starting from 6 years ago, add up the charges till they reach £2000ish and claim for that.

Do not start the 2nd claim for the rest until the first is settled, otherwise the bank may ask for the claims to be ''joined' , which would take it out of the small claims court

Hi. I too have recently sent the third letter, informing the First Trust they 14days or we go to court. I must say they were very quick in getting all my 237 statements to me 5 days to be precise. But after I sent the second letter asking for the money, I got the bog standard response letter, of which I now have a small collection. So I went straight ahead and sent the 'final I'm going to sue your ass' letter last Friday.

Keep up the fight, these b******s can't get away with it, especially the First Trust

Courage is a triumph of logic over fear

I got reply today.

Dear

We acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 3rd July 2006.

The matter is receiving our attention and will be investigated by this Department.

We hope to be in touch with you shortly and for information purposes we have detailed below our complaints procedure process.

1. You may express your dissatisfaction either orally or in writing.

2. Your complaint will be recorded by us and you will receive a written

acknowledgement within 5 business days at most, unless your complaint is

resolved within 1 day of receipt.

3. We will investigate your complaint promptly.

4. We will write to you within 4 weeks with either the result of our enquiries or

to advise that more time is required to complete our enquiries.

5. As a maximum we will write to you within 8 weeks with the result of our

enquiries which will represent our final response.

6. You may pass the mater to the Finanical Ombudsman if you are not happy

with our response or if we have to failed to advise you of the outcome of

our enquiries within 8 weeks of having received your complaint.

Yours sincerely,

M. Gourley

Customer Care Unit.

What a joke First Trust have a customer care unit.

HELP NEEDED!!!

Do I wait 14 days then send in a another letter.

this is YOUR action

this is YOUR timetable

STICK TO IT

this is a stalling tactic, you have control of the timetable and the speed at which you progress. if you fall for this, you are handing control over to FT. i got exactly the same letter and sent one back saying that i would be moving forward at my pace.

today i am sending their letter before action

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this letter tomorrow Recorded Delivery.

First Trust Centre

PO Box 123

92 Ann Street

Belfast

BT1 3AY

Wednesday, 19 July 2006

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond satisfactory to my letter Dated 03 July 2006

I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £1,993.00

Total £1,993.00

I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 03 July 2006

I require repayment in full of this money.

If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus a claim under ss.7 and 13 of the Data Protection Act 1998 plus my costs and without further notice.

Help needed: If my claim was Successful can I claim from the same bank twice through the small claims court. (Northern Ireland).

Assuming you have split your claim of £2247 into a claim for £1993 starting from the earliest date, you can:

(a) When they settle the first claim, ask them to include the later charges.

(b) If they don't play ball, only sign as full and final settlement on that claim and reserve the right to pursue future charges, and start the process again for the rest and any they've added since.