• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ive had an offer, not sure if I should accept

thetwins2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone I need your thoughts

OK on 23rd Jan I got my list from woolwich of my bank charges, they cover unpaid direct debits, returned cheques, un authorised over draft, unpaid standing order, and a DC. This totals £3,197.00.

I got into a bit of a pickle with the old current account 2001-2003 when I had the twins and thier dad decided he didnt want to be a dad!!!

Anyways I replied to Woolwich/Barclays & told them to cough up, and I got the usual letters saying how they would resolve this by 20th April.

Well true to thier word, I got a letter today which is offering me £2398.00

They went on about when I opened my account I agreed to thier charges, and got a booklets stating thier charges, and was fully aware of thier charges (which I was, but now know it only costs about £4 max and not the £35 they charge me).

Thier exact wording is "despite my comments above in relation to your veiws, on this occation, and without any admission of liability, I am willing to offer you the sum of £2398.00 towards the total ammount you are seeking. This is with the cost and inconveniance inherent in a further dispute in mind, and is intended as a gesture of good will. in full and final settlement of your complaint".

Now at 1st I thought WoW as a single working mother (not skint but live hand to mouth), that would pay for a few DIY things around the house (finish the kitchen off and re-turf the garden LOL) !!!

But then thats £799 less that they owe me, and also I beleive you can add 8% interest to your claim, so thats a possible £1054.00 less.

I really dont know what to do.....

Advise from you in the know, and whom have fighted and reclaimed, or been offered and negotiated - appreciated. I thought maybe I should tell them we should meet half way?? thus adding another £500 odd to my return payment??

Its really your choice as to whether your happy to accept the offer or wait for the full amount.

If you havent yet issued a claim then you wont get the interest at 8% but what you can ask for is interest at the same rate as your UNauthorised overdraft.

Basically what the banks are doing now is to try and minimise the costs as much as they can and are reducing the amounts claimed to the difference between what it costs them and what they have charged.

If you accept then you are saying that you agree to them charging this lesser amount.

I would continue but then its not my money its yours.

Do what you think is right for you. If you want it all back then hold out you will get it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Usually around 25-35% depending on your bank. Check it out on your banks website.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

MMM so really I should have asked them back for more than the ammount and 8% interest, but 25% interest?? MMMMM so they are offering me about £1300 less then??

Shall have to re think, but negotiation is probualy the easiest option - anyone negotiated sucessfully?

The Twins - its up to you - only you know how much you need the cash. over £2K is not to be sniffed at - but them again neither is an extra £1300!!!

All I can say is from experience you will get all of your money back!!! Youve been without the cash for this amount of time, realy is a couple more weeks gona make that much difference to you!!!!

Trust me once the cash has been spent and is gone I think you would have wished you'd hung on a bit longer!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide, either way your onto a winner!!!

:-x Kennsignton Mortage Company

:-x GE Captial

:-x Welcome Car Finance

OK update

Sent a letter back to the lady who made the offer of £2385, saying I couldnt accept anything less than £3196 which is owed. I mentioned that I could claim interest off them, but said I was willing to accept £3196 as long as its paid into my account friday.

I also re typed the acceptance letter she sent me, but put the ammount as £3196 and signed it. I posted it to her, and emailed it to her, and she has confirmed receipt of my email.

NOW what do I do if it isnt paid in on friday???

I have a feeling that she may well withdraw the offer at the moment as seems to be the trend throughout these threads at the moment, have you said you would be seeking legal action, (ie the Letter Before Action), as I feel perhaps giving 3 days notice may not be enough time for them, but who knows. You seem to be having more luck with the Woolwich than I am, did you send it to the Clacton address. Would you mind letting me have the same email address as apart from a Special Delivery Letter I sent yesterday, which has now been received it appears they have chosen not to sign my previous recorded delivery letter (LBA).

My advice in your situation would be that if you do not hear anything in your favour by Friday, then I would send the LBA off on Monday. You may still negotiate after this process but at least they wont mess you around and keep you hanging on. I have read over and over on this forum that you need to stick to your guns and your deadlines. At least things are moving forward for you though. Well done and good luck. Lets hope you and your children will have a lovely well earned prosperous week-end!

I have had my reply today, basically she says after carefull consideration the offer of £2398 stands, and she can not do the full ammount of £3196 (which BTW was without any interests added).

She mentions it remains her final offer, then at the end says if you do not wish to accept this offer, and start legle proceedings, it would appear that we are unable to reach an amical resolution...

OK so one min she says final offer, now shes mentioning amicability!!!

The difference is about £700, I may reply saying OK lets be amicable and split that £700 difference!!

Hi there my personal view on this would be to hang out, as having read through the threads on this site not only with the Woolwich, they seem to try and settle for a lower figure. I think they are hoping you will buckle under and not want to go down the legal route, however the choice is yours. From what I understand those who do stick it out to the end (or nearly the end) all seem to get the whole amount which is infact what you are entitled to and not a percentage (which is what they are offering you). In addition they get their 8% on top, some even ask for and get their expenses. So its up to you. BTW could you PM me with the Clacton House address and the phone number as you do seem to be having a lot more luck than I am, they have not offered me anything yet and I am due to hand my N1 in at court on Monday. Thanks!

Silentnight,

I did not get an offer either until I had filed at court. Then they offered me 1/3. Obviously I rejected it, saying I would accept as partial payment only. Don't think they will pay it now tho, they will probably withdraw it!!

Still, all I need to do now is sit tight and file my AQ when it's time and prepare my court bundle (already under way) and then when they do decide they want to settle, I will ask for costs for the preparation of the court bundle etc. If they decline I will put in an order for wasted court costs!

Really it doesnt matter if you get an offer or not because it won't be anywhere near what you're owed. So just file your N1 on Monday, sit back and wait for whats rightfully yours!!

Good Luck!!