Old bloke V The Woolwich urgent advice needed please

SPK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am helping a work colleague to claim money back from the Woolwich. We have succesfully claimed back from the Nationwide but this case is not as straight forward as that one was.

All the bank charges in total amount to £1278.00 without interest. He has paid some of this but not all of it. It was a case of him getting one or two charges then getting charges on top of charges that have made him overdrawn, then they have slapped the interest on top. Although he hasn't paid the full amount above in charges yet, only some of it his account is overdrawn and they are threatening court action against him to recover the monies. If I file moneyclaim...which is the stage we are at now can I list the full total of charges that they are trying to recover from him? Including the ones he hasn't paid them yet? I really hope this makes sense to somebody. Thanks for any help. Its quite urgent as we have to file the moneyclaim before they do basically..he has fourteen days!!

Hi SPK

I was waiting for one of the guru's to respond or at least someone who has experience of bank threats to take the customer to court.

So my limited advise it that since the account is currently in a state of deficit as a sole result of unlawful charges (ie say it originally started because he went £40 unauthorised O/D but has during the interim paid off at least that £40 leaving only accumulative charges as the reason for the debt being cleared), then your friend should write to the bank and state that the account is now in dispute.

I'll try and find one of the example letter on the site for this though hopefully someone will come along and put a link on this thread for you. My understanding is that when an account is declared as 'in dispute' the bank cannot refer it to a DCA or proceed with court action until the dispute is investigated.

In the meantime, go through the whole step by step of letter sending with Woolwich. Obviously if your friend has statments and therefore is in a position to send the prelim letter requesting return of xxx amount of charges plus related interest, that letter should go off straight away. (No 8% added at this stage).

I would personally send the dispute letter and the claim letter as separate pieces of correspondence simply to keep the claim unmuddied and free from any further delay attempts by the Woolwich.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

My claim was for charges applied that I hadn't actually paid due to being in my overdraft. They threatened me with action to recover the overdraft and it got as far as DCA, when I informed them it was in dispute the DCA asked if Woolwich were aware of this... to which I replied it is going to court so I would think they would!

I never heard another word from the DCA!

But yes as the account is in dispute they shouldn't be refering it to a DCA. Just make it clear to them you are aware of this fact :)

24 hours in a day... 24 in a case... co-incidence???

• 1 month later...

Hi ya all, this case is still rumbling on!!!!

We need some urgent help as i have just got back from holiday and the old fella didnt want to bother me but has has the letter sitting at his home re Allocation Questionaire......

At the top right corner of the form it says " in the county court then underneath Claim Number.....

Underneath that it says Last date for filing with court office ! what date do i put in there ?

Really need help today as time is running out......

Thanks a million

SPK

Hi

if i was you i would contact the court where the AQ came from as they are supposed to fill in the 'last date for filing with court office' section.

Are you sure its not written on an a letter that came with it?

claire

:pI'VE CLAIMED MY BARCLAYS CHARGES BACK.:p

£5125.60

Im no expert everything i write is what i learnt from my own experience and reading through other threads. Click my scales if you wish to!:)