Direct line-cover you for what?

Amanda Taylor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:mad: I have house & motor insurance through Direct Line, I have roughly 8 years no claims on my policy for motor insurance with direct line with protection. on the 10/02/2007 a friend of my daughters who is 15 stole my spare car key from my kitchen,then 4 days later came back & stole my car, at the time my key was stolen it was reported to police who were at the time more interested in another issue with my daughter.My car was recovered but not the spare key & as i had proceeded to put in a claim through direct line 6 weeks later after calling them several times have been told that they will not pay out on my policy because i had not secured the car properly???? It has taken 6 weeks for tham to tell me this, I was also told that i could pick up my car from the garage, baring in mind that they had not even told me where it was as they had not even bothered to contact me at all during this time,Surley this does not take 6 weeks my cover is fully comp & i have at least 8 years no claims.I am also concerned that they might turn around & charge me for the storage of my car at their approved repairers for 6 weeks? What can i do as the key has not been recovered & my car is not going to be secured when i get it back? Any advise anyone:mad: I am so annoyed as i cant even leave my car on my own drive now in case it goes again. Im gonna have to take it to my brothers & carry on using the bus until i get the locks changed i dont know how im supposed to pay for this, I thought thats what motor insurance was for?????????

Ask them to confirm in writing why they are declining the claim 'due to lack of security'. It can be awkward to work out how to proceed unless you get them to clarify exactly what their position is on this.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

on the 10/02/2007 a friend of my daughters who is 15 stole my spare car key from my kitchen,then 4 days later came back & stole my car, at the time my key was stolen it was reported to police who were at the time more interested in another issue with my daughter.

Just been re-reading your post, can you clarify the above as it reads as follows -

This 'friend' stole the key you found this out and reported it to the police and then this 'friend' came and stole the car. If this is the case and you hadn't replaced the locks following the theft of the key then I can understand why the insurer is refusing the claim.

Is this correct?

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

Sorry,I have to agree with the last post.

You have to act like you are uninsured at all times "i.e. not saying it'll be alright, the Insurance will cover it"

Once the keys were stolen you were not worried that the vehicle would be stolen.

Now you know that the Insurance is not covering it you are worried about this.

It may seem harsh, but it is one of the fundamental principles of Insurance.

Now with regards to the timescales - 6 weeks is about right. I suspect they have requested the police report - and the Police take forever to send these.

Sorry

• Haha 1

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!